DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps,

I thinking when flipping thru tracks that different era's seem to have a different 'signature sound' to their mastering.

90's-present = Dynamic compression, drowned vocals, virtually no drum impact and sometimes telephone quality midrange sound.

80's = Highs are too bright. As if the mastering was trying to compensate for the loss of highs from people recording on cassette tapes. Otherwise, with a good dose of treble reduction on the EQ, the sound quality is great.

70's = Just right. Every aspect seems to sound balanced, dynamic, realistic, natural acoustics, etc. Not every 70's track is great, but a lot of them are closer to what I would consider "reference" than much of the music recordings since then.

What do you guys think?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
2000 on - let the loudness wars begin with certain artists who have an average RMS of -6 db and no dynamic range whatsoever. Welcome to the iPod generation.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2000 on - let the loudness wars begin with certain artists who have an average RMS of -6 db and no dynamic range whatsoever. Welcome to the iPod generation.
I wish that record companies would give an option for buying the 'hot' copy or buying a slightly more expensive "Engineer's Cut". Kind of like a Director's Cut edition for a DVD only, for music. Attention is paid to the QUALITY of the mix, mastering, dynamics, etc. I would pay 3-times the price to get the 'high-end' version of today's music. Right now, if you happen to like a song made today, you're SOL if you want it mastered with grace, detail and realism. :(

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I notice that all the time. Actually, I have myself convinced that if I can tell the differences like that, then my system is doing exactly what it's supposed to :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you take 50s, 60s jazz recordings, A lot are phenomenal. I think because the recording equipment had tubes in them. Even through today jazz is usually pretty good in the SQ arena.

Today the recordings have way too much compression because of the loudness wars, and its hard to get a relaxed sound, its all in your face, missing subtlety and no quiet. What happened to the quiet in music????

·
Registered
91 Posts
I disagree about the 70's. The majority of popular 70's tracks sound like trash. Having good dynamic range doesn't make up for the awfully high noise floor, poor mic technique, crappy dubbing, and noisy analog machines they used. Look at Bad Company's stuff for example. The recordings absolutely suck. Sure, maybe that's "character" if you're old and nostalgic, but I hate listening to my 70's music. My Led Zeppelin albums are banned from ever making it back in my car. And I hate listening to my early Genesis albums despite them having "better" songs in a lot of cases. Duke is much more pleasing to listen to than any of the earlier stuff.

You can still find stuff that's mastered reasonably well without being squashed. Radio rock and hip-hop aren't going to be on there, but eh.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disagree about the 70's. The majority of popular 70's tracks sound like trash. Having good dynamic range doesn't make up for the awfully high noise floor, poor mic technique, crappy dubbing, and noisy analog machines they used. Look at Bad Company's stuff for example. The recordings absolutely suck. Sure, maybe that's "character" if you're old and nostalgic, but I hate listening to my 70's music. My Led Zeppelin albums are banned from ever making it back in my car. And I hate listening to my early Genesis albums despite them having "better" songs in a lot of cases. Duke is much more pleasing to listen to than any of the earlier stuff.

You can still find stuff that's mastered reasonably well without being squashed. Radio rock and hip-hop aren't going to be on there, but eh.
There are a heck of a lot more good recordings in the 70's than today. You have many Queen albums that sound fantastic. Toto had some good recordings. Yes was good. Heck, even David Bowie. I agree that in the early 70's, Led Zep had some crappy/distorted recordings. But you also have Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which is awesome. There are plenty of 70's material that were done very well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey peeps,

I thinking when flipping thru tracks that different era's seem to have a different 'signature sound' to their mastering.

90's-present = Dynamic compression, drowned vocals, virtually no drum impact and sometimes telephone quality midrange sound.

80's = Highs are too bright. As if the mastering was trying to compensate for the loss of highs from people recording on cassette tapes. Otherwise, with a good dose of treble reduction on the EQ, the sound quality is great.

70's = Just right. Every aspect seems to sound balanced, dynamic, realistic, natural acoustics, etc. Not every 70's track is great, but a lot of them are closer to what I would consider "reference" than much of the music recordings since then.

What do you guys think?
That is a very good observation tspence. I never realized that about the 80's, but I probably will notice it now. Thanks alot :rolleyes:

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you take 50s, 60s jazz recordings, A lot are phenomenal. I think because the recording equipment had tubes in them. Even through today jazz is usually pretty good in the SQ arena.

Today the recordings have way too much compression because of the loudness wars, and its hard to get a relaxed sound, its all in your face, missing subtlety and no quiet. What happened to the quiet in music????
I wish jass was more quiet too.

Like where I cant hear it at all. :laugh:

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
But you also have Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which is awesome. There are plenty of 70's material that were done very well.
The difference with Pink Floyd compared to other artists is they were OCD about their sound AND they always pushed the boundaries of whatever recording technology was available at the time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I wish jass was more quiet too.

Like where I cant hear it at all. :laugh:
hehe... well if you love music, after many years of alternative, punk, glam, rap, hiphop, 70s, 80s, 90s... you might get bored with the same old progressions. FOr me jazz is complex and scratches my brain.

But I was of the same opinion.. in my prehistoric dayz.... lol
Mike

and im not talking about that easy listening crap.. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts