DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, I know this topic has been beat to death. But, all the answers are to get a SI BM MK. I hate to tell yall, but they are not easy to get ahold of. I am in need of something that will fit under my rear seats. I would like to get as large as I can obviously. Probably a single 12" since I am not going for "loud." Just decent volume. Anyone have experience with the Sundown SD3 or SD4? Are there some other alternatives that are not mainstream that I might not have come across?

So far, my choices seem to be:

Sundown SD
Alpine Type R Slim
RF has a couple
JL 12TW3 or 13TW5

Cheap stuff:
Dayton Low Profile
Skar VD
Pioneer ( seems to have good reviews for $100 sub )

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sundown SD4 is a great sub - pass on the 3! Either of the JL's are nice but I might lean to the SD4. Pass on the RF & Alpine too. Why shallow? How much depth do you have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice box! That's because they're down on output.
Thanks, I dont think so, but output is one of those purely subjective topics. Mine can rattle the mirrors, rear view mirror, windsheild wipers, steering wheel and give you that tickle feeling in your nose (and thats on 500watts so theoretically I can get 3DBs if I gave them rated) so can JL slims or the Sundowns.

I want to remind people, these aren't sundown sa10s or 12s etc and werent designed to compete with those in output. So don't think they're "crazy" in terms of output from my brief review.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used an Sundown SD-3 12". I really enjoyed it, not a crazy output sub but digs deep for a small enclosure.

I would run them again guessing the SD4 is an improvement

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I recently heard the JL slims in a Chevy truck. I was very impressed. I am pretty sure he ran dual 13 slims under the rear seat.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the 10” version of the JL TW3 and I just picked up a 10” Sundown SD-4 just to try. Both are great. Can’t go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Other slim subwoofers that others seem to like (but I have no personal experience with):

Illusion Audio
Oncore Audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The JL 12TW3 has similar output capabilities to the SI BM MK V thought the SI recommends a 0.6 cuft sealed enclosure and the JL recommends 0.8 and my testing backs that up.

Between the 12TW3 and the 13TW5, I would only recommend the 13TW5 if that is the only thing that will fit as it is a very shallow driver but being that shallow, it gives up excursion to the 12TW3, 10mm vs 15mm.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Look into the Arc Audio Sw12. The 10" version being released later this year

·
Registered
687 Posts
Anyone used the massive audio slim subs?

·
Registered
18,465 Posts
Illusion c12 has been the best shallow sub I've used. Even thinking about using them in my next car. Out of whats on your list, jl tw3

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: JaySea20
1 - 20 of 25 Posts