DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put two 12"s in the rear deck of my E46 BMW 330 coupe.

I want the setup to be infinite baffle. I'm not into big bass, just full sound. Occasionally I like to feel a bit of a shake and I'm thinking two 12"s might be able to do that.

I'm looking at some Image dynamics IDMAX woofers, but they're pretty pricey and with a woofer that large, I might as well have a box to put them in.

Then I got to thinking. Would it be alright to throw some Shallow mount woofers in the rear deck and make them infinite baffle?

I know infinite baffle has to do with the linear excursion capabilities of a woofer.
JL makes the 12TW-3 woofer. It claims to have a very good linear excursion even compared to some of its full sized brothers.

So what do you guys think? would a shallow mount JL sub work infinite baffle? Should I just look into the standard Image Dynamics subs?

Appreciate thoughts and input.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Setup properly, an IB setup will get just as loud as sealed with the same subs. If a pair of shallow 12s are enough for you in a sealed box, they will be enough IB but you may have to limit excursion on the low end with a highpass filter which is what a sealed box does anyone except with IB you retain efficiency.

I have a pair of IDMax 15s and I certainly wouldn't put them in a box. I still have most of my trunk and with the required box size I would have nothing left.

Either sub will work fine but the IDs will have more output provided you have the power to push them which likely isn't a problem IB. For what it's worth, a single IDMax 15 will have more output than the pair of TW-3 12s. It's likely the pair of TW-3 subs will get louder per watt compared to a single Max15. Any chance of mounting it behind the seats?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have fold down seats, so mounting on the rear deck is better for me. I'm trying to keep as much trunk space as possible while retaining the usefulness of the fold down seats. I'm on the hunt for an Alpine h800 so there should be no problem with the High pass when going infinite baffle.

I'm not really looking for something as shallow as the TW-3s. Just not something as deep as the IDMAX. Using shallow mount subs in the rear deck will probably leave me with more trunk room than the factory sub box did.

I'm really looking at the alpine T12s because they seem to have the highest linear excursion.

Really my subwoofer size goal is something that is wide and not too tall. I don't want it hanging down so far into the trunk that I won't be able to stow anything under it. For this reason I'm thinking about putting in four 8s assuming those will be louder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.