DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help guys.

I've got an 01 dakota Club Cab, it came with an MTX thunderform which, those little 4500's sound like ****.

I don't have time to rebuild a box, and it doesnt look like I will have time to build a new one anytime within the next few weeks/months.

I think I'm gonna reinforce the inside with some fiberglass, but I need to switch these subs out asap.

I wanted to do 800w or so, but with the mounting depth I have, im not sure how it's possible.

The subs need to be LESS than 4.6, so that leaves me with:

ED SQ 10
Infinity Kappa
MB Quart Reference Shallows
I'm trying to squeeze the Koda's in there, but it looks like the magnet is gonna be too damn big :(

Whatcha guys got for me?

·
4,981 Posts
i have been using the exile audio XT10 shallow sub with very good results, 3.5 mounting depths, good impact, nice tonality, and very good transients. one of hte better shallow subs i have used for sure, and i have pretty much tried all of them. the jl is nicer, but no where near hte price range or avaiable in a 10.

here are some where i hae used the sub:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/47312-one-more-mkv-gti-sq-install-pics.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-build-logs/49477-latest-sq-install-08-civic-coupe.html

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've used the eD SQ10's before, they worked fine. They were in downfiring sealed boxes under my front seats in a 04' Scion xB. I tried using one for a while and it just wasn't enough for me, adding another was just right. If I remember correctly, my amp was a 400 watter MTX.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since it sounds like you are not looking for a permanent solution maybe you could just add a spacer ring of 1/2" MDF? With 5" mounting depth I think there are quite a few options available. Arc and ID to name 2.

Interesting to hear such praise for the Exile audio drivers. Maybe I will give these a go myself. I am also looking at a setup with very shallow mounting needed for my current install.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Since it sounds like you are not looking for a permanent solution maybe you could just add a spacer ring of 1/2" MDF? With 5" mounting depth I think there are quite a few options available. Arc and ID to name 2.

Interesting to hear such praise for the Exile audio drivers. Maybe I will give these a go myself. I am also looking at a setup with very shallow mounting needed for my current install.
Is this Joe that used to live near Philly?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
If you whiling to do as pieces suggested and make a ring. Some subs that won't break the bank and I have had good luck with. The RE and last version JBL GTO both are right at 5" mounting depth. Both can be had for around $50 to $75 for a single 10".

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The problem with adding a mounting ring, is that the seat and box are angled to fit with each other. If I add any more height, i MIGHT be hitting the bottom of my seat. I'll take some pictures to show you guys what I mean.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't go with the SQ10. I installed one down firing in the "recommended optimal sealed" enclosure of 0.4 cu ft. Powered with 200 watts. Sub bottomed out so much the tinsel snapped on the inside. It sounded good though and got pretty low for such a low profile subwoofer.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I wouldn't go with the SQ10. I installed one down firing in the "recommended optimal sealed" enclosure of 0.4 cu ft. Powered with 200 watts. Sub bottomed out so much the tinsel snapped on the inside. It sounded good though and got pretty low for such a low profile subwoofer.
x2. I was not happy at all. I had it in .5 and it just didn't wake up any feelings, never mind the noises it was making. But for $70 you can't really expect miracles. I think if whoever makes it put in a little more thought into revision of it - it could be a much better product.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Polk mm1040 as well. Very shallow, but bloated specs from what I've played with on mine. Haven't listend to it yet though so I can't tell ya what it sounds like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts