DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a subwoofer behind one of the quarter panels in my 1995 Toyota Landcruiser.

I will be building an enclosure that will be about .75-1 ft^3 in volume. This is a trail truck so it has minimal sound deadning. The foam that came all over the truck stock is there but I am sure after 14 years is pretty deteriorated. I am running an Alpine PDX 5 amp whose subwoofer channel puts out 300 watts.

These is my choice of subwoofers available to me. Unfortunately there are no dealers in my area that stock these, or have them available for listening purposes so I can't audition them before buying. I will be buying on without listening to it.

JL Audio 13tw5 - afraid 300w isn't enough for these guys, price is up there

RE Audio SL 12 - second most expensive

Diamond Audio s124 - calls for 1 ft^3, after material thickness and bracing enclosure will be closer to .8 ft^3, too small of an enclosure?

Exile Audio xt12 - seems outclassed by subs above, can it hold its own?

Which one is the better choice for the space/power I have available?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Exile Audio xt12 - seems outclassed by subs above, can it hold its own?
Which one is the better choice for the space/power I have available?
When I was searching for a thin sub, the Exile was the best thing out there on paper. Then after further checking of reviews, I think it has to be one of the best values around? I know the other subs on the list are more current offerings but I would not spend 13tw5 money for a 300 watt thin sub solution. And to seal the deal....as el_chupo_ stated, Bing (SimplicityInSound) has used these in several installs and was suprised by the great performance. At the cost you can pick one of the Exile 12's ($150-$200?) for I would not even ponder this any further....I would buy one and put energy towards other parts of the install becuase I don't see how this sub is outclassed given your power:

EXILE AUDIO XTEC XT12
- Vacuum formed dustcap
- Low profile rubber surround
- Ultra rigid and light cone
- Progressive linear spider
- Inner stacked motor structure
- Cast aluminum basket

- 300W RMS
- 600W PEAK
- Mounting depth: 3.5" (89mm)
- Mounting diameter: 11" (279mm)
- Overall diameter: 12.3" (312mm)

TS Parameters
- FS: 26.4Hz
- RE: 3.88 Ohms
- QMS: 7.41
- QES: .55
- QTS: .51
- VAS: 104.8 Liters
- MMS: 129.1 Grams
- CMS: 282 uM/Newton
- BL: 12.29 Tesla-M
- SPL: 87dB(1M/1W)
- XMAX: 24mm Peak to Peak
0.6-1.0 cu ft Sealed

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll be watching this thread closely! May also want to consider Memphis and Rockford's shallow mount offerings?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I don't think you understand what shootout usually means around here.
There was a thread about threads like this, you come in here expect something and then BAM it's a help me chose my equipement thread hehe.

BTW all brands have one now.. ALL of them.
Some others that have had awesome reviews are the kickers and of course the stereo integrety magnum.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
.6-1 cube for the Exile isn't really all that appealing. Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Yes and no.

Something like a singe cab truck where you can go across teh back of the cab, but not deep it works well.

Also, in trunk installs where you want to save depth for spare tire, etc...

But for a normal trunk intall, yes.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
what? that is a VERY small box for a 12" sub. 14"x14"x4.5" makes for a .6 cu ft box. that's damn small ...
Unfortunately that's not the case....If the box is built with normal 3/4" MDF that box you listed dimensions for will only have an interior volume of 0.27cf

A box that is 0.63cf which is our smallest box type in this case would need to be 14x14x8.5 and I'm pretty sure you could mount whatever you wanted in that box.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
.6-1 cube for the Exile isn't really all that appealing. Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?
Unfortunately, almost all the shallow mount subs have this problem - they are shallow but have the box requirements of a regular sub. I suspect this has to do with the laws of physics. ;) So the primary advantage with a shallow mount sub is that the box can be shallow because the sapce requirements are not reduced.

To the OP, "shootout" in these parts means that you bought a pile of equipment in a particular category, invited some friends over, did some intense listening sessions, and crowned a winner. Your title should have been "need help choosing shallow mount sub". :)

Soundstream and Pioneer also have shallow mount subs.

My understanding is that Exile was formed by a bunch of ex-PG folks.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
"Ah! Young Grasshopper! Now you are learning the tricks and deceptions of the industry!"

We have yet to get around the Laws of Physics and I don't think there is a 12" sub that can produce low and loud tones in an enclosure with almost no internal space. A 0.6-1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure is about small to average these days for a 12" sub. When I got into this in the '80's it seemed many subs needed 1.5-2.5 cu ft sealed to perform so there have been improvements but not miraculous improvements.

So, the Exile XTEC XT12 is no different than any other 12" flat sub out there. I seriously doubt that there is one that can play in an enclosure smaller than 0.6 cu ft. Many look at how small these subs are and think that it means that the enclosures will be half the size 0.25-0.3 cu ft. NO, THAT AIN'T THE CASE. These subs are more marketing than anything else. The #1 purpose of the design of these subs is for behind the seat TRUCK installs and #2 shallow false floor trunk/hatch installs.Thinking you will get these in the side panels or under the seats is just not a reality at this point in time. Shallow subs still need a decent and rigid enclosure to belt out LOUD and LOW bass notes.

"So Young Grasshopper, You have learned that a shallow subwoofer still needs a normal sized enclosure to perform like a normal subwoofer, Hai!"

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
"... I don't think there is a 12" sub that can produce low and loud tones in an enclosure with almost no internal space... When I got into this in the '80's it seemed many subs needed 1.5-2.5 cu ft sealed to perform so there have been improvements but not miraculous improvements.
In the 80's, the subs that wanted 1.5-2.5 CF sealed were 10's, not 12's.

The first 12" that did decent in 1.5 CF were hailed as "miraculous", as I recall. We always like product that makes us look better.

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
firstly :) the XT12 is no longer made, it will be gone from the site soon i hope hehe...only xt10, and that thing works well in down to a .3 cubfeet enclosure. vrey tonally accurate IMO, dry and blends well, decent impact. as far as low end and overall output, its about hte same with this class of subs of this size.

b

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP here!! Term "Shootout" and its use is noted. Thanks for the headsup.

Now onto my sub choice. I got an Exile XT 12 at a screaming deal so I picked that up. Now I have to figure out how to make the enclosure for it.

For those of you with experience using the Exile subs, what is the smallest volume enclosure size you would consider with the XT 12?

·
Registered
18 Posts
New member to the forum with a HUGE favor to ask of this community (I plan to be around a long time in this forum, just reading has drawn me in).

I seriously don't want to hijack this thread (I am already apologizing), but it won't let me post a new post because I just joined and I am sort of time crunched :/

Old vehicle: 2001 Chevy Cavalier
System:
JL Audio 10W7 - 500/1 JL Amp
DynAudio 240 MKII fronts 300/2 Amp
JL Audio VR 6x9 rears Alpine 300x2 Amp
Alumapro 15 farad The C.A.P
Optima Yellow Top battery
Pioneer Premier high end unit at the time of !2002-2003
XM Radio box, antenna, etc...
25 AMP breaker up front

New Vehicle: 2009 Chevy Equinox
I am planning on moving over the current fronts as rears and getting the DynAudio System 340 for fronts (7" woofer, 3" mid, 1" tweet).
Sub I want to go with the JL Audio 13TW5.
Amps I will use all my current amps, cap, etc...
Headunit I want to use a JL Audio OEM CL 441 dsp that will allow me to keep my stock headunit, otherwise I plan on using a Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT.

The dilemma I am having is that my wife wants me to use MINIMAL cargo space for this. I am able to remove the spare if needed. I just need help on where to put the sub and amps for this install.

I appreciate this forum community and look forward to more interaction with everyone as a new member.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Just throwing in the possibility of the Kenwood flat subs. They modeled well when I was toying with them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've heard the kenwood and it sounded pretty damn good imho....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts