DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sherwood model A100X4 rated at 4x100 or 2x250 watts. Nice condition, well built amp. It has some minor scuffs and chips, but would still rate about 7.5 to 8/10. Sorry I didn't clean the dust out from between the fins before taking pics :blush:. It's compact and pretty thin, so it might be good for a under seat install. Size 17-1/2" x 10" x 2-1/16". Beefy at 12 LBS unboxed.

I forgot I had this until I went digging through my stash of old stuff. A good looking amp, plus you don't see these very often. I powered it up today(7-18-09) and all four channels play clean and very loud. If you look at the pics you'll see I had a pair of Dynaudio Esotar tweeters and (unseen)MW160 mid bass hooked up to it playing through passive x-overs on the rear channels and a pair of Boston Pro 4.4 two ways on the front channels. That should speak volumes as to how much I trust this amp. Those T330D's are some stupid expensive tweeters :greedy:.

$95.00 shipped to the USA (AK & HI extra). Paypal and USPS money orders accepted. I might consider trades for decent equipment.

Sherwood_A100x4_a.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_b.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_c.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_d.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_e.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_f.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_g.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_h.jpg

Sherwood_A100x4_i.jpg

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really nice amp, solid work horse!
Shameless plug, if somebody wants 2 of these, I might part with mine.
You had the six channel, right?? I thought I saw one of these Sherwoods on here a while back, but could not remember who had it. I should just buy yours and keep them both.

My A100X4 had the Dynaudio's singing today. Very stout amp.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I had 6 channel that I sold and I still have 100a4 in my brother's car that will come out in favor of 2 small Sony amps that will go under seats.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well there you have it folks. Between Mless5 and me, we have 8 channels of matching good quality amp power waiting to be installed.

My ancient Pioneer bench amp finally bit the dust, so I went digging through the garage today looking for a replacement and found the Sherwood. I was going to use it as a test bench amp, but decided it's too nice for that after I saw it.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
SOLID SOLID SOLID SOLID SOLID amp.

Don't be fooled into comparing then with the Sherwood of today. If I'm not mistaken, these are Zed designed and powerful as ****.

Don't sleep on this deal.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SOLID SOLID SOLID SOLID SOLID amp.

Don't be fooled into comparing then with the Sherwood of today. If I'm not mistaken, these are Zed designed and powerful as ****.

Don't sleep on this deal.
Thanks for the vote of confidence :). Powerful? Yes!! I confirmed that yesterday :). It needed less than 1/4 turn(25%) on the gains to to give the Dynaudio's a serious workout.

Just in case anybody is wondering, this amp was not made in China.

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,960 Posts
Man I haven't seen one of these in a minute. I installed quite a few of these amps back in the day. Yes sir very powerful and built very well. Very nice amp.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
too bad I dont have any funds.....trade for my Morel CW8's ???

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man I haven't seen one of these in a minute. I installed quite a few of these amps back in the day. Yes sir very powerful and built very well. Very nice amp.
Thanks for the first hand experience. The old Sherwoods were great amps. Too bad it was one of those brands that fell through the cracks.

--------------------

too bad I dont have any funds.....trade for my Morel CW8's ???
Don't know what I would do with Morel's, except throw them in a pile with the rest of my unused colletion :). Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Definitely a solid amp.

I had one buried in a closet for years, new.

Used it in a recent install in my truck. Was originally going to use a Cadence TXA3002 for my HAT Clarus comps and the A100x4 bridged to power my 2 DIYMA R12s.

The Cadence amp flake out on me shortly after install so I have the Sherwood powering my comps at 100x2 off one channel and one of my subs at 250 off the second channel.

The Sherwood sounds great. Zero noise and just good clean power. Solid power. It's numbers don't lie.

I'm needing a second amp so I can get both my subs powered and have an amp for my comps. I'm wanting to active with my comps, so another A100x4 would fit the bill quite nicely. Would look good with 2 of them on my amp board.

If this one is still around on payday, you'll get a message from me.

George

·
Registered
28 Posts
Two questions for my first sound diy sound system in my car:

1) Does this amp accept balanced inputs? (That's what my 03 bmw 325i's HU puts out)

2) To run a 2way comp set w/ passive crossovers I'll need to bridge the connections, yes? So for 4 x bridged @ 4 ohms, is the amp still rated at 100W/channel?

Must sound like stupid questions, I know..

Cheers :cool:

btw, I'll take it if the answers are yes to both; not just asking for kicks ;)

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Two questions for my first sound diy sound system in my car:

1) Does this amp accept balanced inputs? (That's what my 03 bmw 325i's HU puts out)

2) To run a 2way comp set w/ passive crossovers I'll need to bridge the connections, yes? So for 4 x bridged @ 4 ohms, is the amp still rated at 100W/channel?

Must sound like stupid questions, I know..

Cheers :cool:

btw, I'll take it if the answers are yes to both; not just asking for kicks ;)
Check your PM.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bump

·
Registered
954 Posts
I remember back when Sherwood were considered flea market amps.. Now they are considered OS quality US made amps.. Wish I had held onto mine

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Price drop bump.

$85.00 shipped to the USA (AK & HI extra).

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
suprised this solid 4 channel is still here...I was going to buy until I found another 4 channel that had more crossover selection..otherwise this is good solid power..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yea, the specs are solid on this. MUUUUCH better deal than budget cadence (which I can't find anymore) or phoenix gold ($160 for shady power).

If only it took balanced inputs, I would be ON this... :computer: <-- lol

Don't lower your price anymore mate, this is plenty cheap.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
pm sent

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Amp is currently on hold for a pending trade deal. I will update the thread if it becomes available again. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.