DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a sundown audio x12 off a kicker cx1200.
The box takes up most of my trunk for one or else i would definitley run 2 of these subs. I have another cx 1200 amp and a hatchback style box that can fit behind it nicely but the subs I would put in it would be different and also be sealed.

The small box i want to add is for dual 12'''s at about 1.0 cubes per spot (sealed).

My question is would it sound like shit to add two more subs in a sealed box to my trunk when i already have a sa x12 in a 2.5 cube (net) ported box tuned to 32hz???

Also I've seen other guys with the same mustang as mine (2016) and they not only have multiple boxes but with the subs facing different directions. One forward and one back. What would be the reason for this and is it recommended?

Again does anyone have any experience with running sealed and ported boxes together? or even two different brands of subwoofers together? i still have time to return the x12 so i may just start over again and say fuck it.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
If your goal is louder, noisier, and you'd self describe as a "bass-head" - maybe... even then mixing enclosure types and drivers in the attempt to bolster the same frequency range is not likely easy to do right.

That being said - sure there's folks out there who try...

·
ROCKY TOP
1,385 Posts
Just because u r adding “more boxes” doesnt mean its gonna be louder or sound any better. From what I know and I probably shouldnt even be commenting on this thread because I cant stand alot a bass or bass heads and nothing against u. It all depends what u r wanting to achieve, and from what u r running it definately seems like u like the bass, so hell give it a try if u dont like it just remove it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fronts will for sure keep up, once i get my morels in and 2 more amps,

The only reason i was wondering was because i have extra equipment sitting around, and i want more bass. I'm probably going to nix my current setup and get some subs that can perform in smaller enclosures so that i can have 2 maybe 3. This one x12 with this big ass box isn't as loud as the 2 12's i had before it in a box 76% of the size. Guess i was mistaken thinking a higher quality higher power handling sub in a nice big ported enclosure was going to be soo much better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your goal is louder, noisier, and you'd self describe as a "bass-head" - maybe... even then mixing enclosure types and drivers in the attempt to bolster the same frequency range is not likely easy to do right.

That being said - sure there's folks out there who try...
I see you're working on a newer mustang gt, is it a premium package?

NVM didnt realize it was a link, looks nice af god damn. I got a ecoboost premium, wish i wouldve got the base gt tho

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what about deleting the current 12" ported box, and replacing it with the 2 12's in a sealed box?
I probably am, I think some kicker 15” Cvx’s would be easy as cheap or some sa 12 v2’s, anything that will match up nicely with my cvx1200 watt amps, idk tho,

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
Ditch the ported box and run with the 2 12's. Running all 3 together, in different types of enclosures, in different parts of the car could cause you some phase issues, and the frequency response will be unpredictable at best.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
2 subs are 3dB louder than one sub.
Ported subs are generally louder than sealed.

What is the goal here?
Removing a ported for 2 sealed subs will not likely result in more loudness.
But if it is a poorly designed enclosure then who knows?

Or am I not thinking this through correctly?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well I’m about to cause an issue but your problem is not the box or the amount of subs but power. I understand you can run these off 750 - 1200 watts like your amp but we will not install these without 2000 watts minimum per x12 or x15. That amp is rated at 1200 @ 14.4 volts. Those subs are nasty with the right power. Again you can run them on 1000-1200 but if you want to truly appreciate those Sundown x12s your best bet is more power. Also in the right box they can be as tight and clean as you would want them tuned around 40 depending on the music you like but they can get nasty loud booming as well. Installing more subs with the same power might yield a bit more but powering that sub correctly will probably offset the difference.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Also stay away from Sundown sa12 if you don’t have more power. They will run on that power but again to get hem moving you simply need more.

Also the blanket statement about 2 subs being 3db louder that a single is with all things being equal, meaning doubling two of the same subs may but two sealed subs in a small sealed box may not put you at 3db hotter than a single in a correctly ported box. Things are not always equal. Also the subs efficiency comes into play as well. The comparison has to be specific to drivers, amps and box types.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I thought you were in Australia. Are you in Asheville? Babs lives here and a guy from Erwin TN with a full audio frog system. I’m on the north side in weaverville. Where are you?

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
I thought you were in Australia. Are you in Asheville? Babs lives here and a guy from Erwin TN with a full audio frog system. I’m on the north side in weaverville. Where are you?
Was in Au, but the plane flights solved that temporarily.

Technically (down) in Fletcher, but up to trader Joes in Asheville tomorrow... and maybe the arboretum for the XMAS lights... or something like that.

We are here for a week+ And I have not heard any good systems recently... so I could bust out or bring the Haus boss.

·
Registered
834 Posts
That’s cool. I’m on the north side of town about 15 minutes or so from Trader Joe’s. I ride mountain bikes on land bordering the arboretum. It’s awesome. Enjoy the lights. I’m working in Charleston until Friday and come home and then leave for Morehead City on Saturday. Getting out of Asheville for the holidays. All the tourists are there causing problems because they drive on the wrong side of the road. And those people are from Florida not Australia lol. Enjoy the city. Babs is supposed to have an amazing Honda. I have not heard it yet.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
That’s cool. I’m on the north side of town about 15 minutes or so from Trader Joe’s. I ride mountain bikes on land bordering the arboretum. It’s awesome. Enjoy the lights. I’m working in Charleston until Friday and come home and then leave for Morehead City on Saturday. Getting out of Asheville for the holidays. All the tourists are there causing problems because they drive on the wrong side of the road. And those people are from Florida not Australia lol. Enjoy the city. Babs is supposed to have an amazing Honda. I have not heard it yet.
Only been on the wrong side once.

If there is a chin-wag, or sticky-beak, session then send me a PM please.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I’m about to cause an issue but your problem is not the box or the amount of subs but power. I understand you can run these off 750 - 1200 watts like your amp but we will not install these without 2000 watts minimum per x12 or x15. That amp is rated at 1200 @ 14.4 volts. Those subs are nasty with the right power. Again you can run them on 1000-1200 but if you want to truly appreciate those Sundown x12s your best bet is more power. Also in the right box they can be as tight and clean as you would want them tuned around 40 depending on the music you like but they can get nasty loud booming as well. Installing more subs with the same power might yield a bit more but powering that sub correctly will probably offset the difference.
I was thinking about grabbing another amp for it maybe and pushing 2000 to it,
but for the same money, I was also thinking that with my current amps i could run 4 sa x-8's or 2 sa x-10's

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also stay away from Sundown sa12 if you don’t have more power. They will run on that power but again to get hem moving you simply need more.

Also the blanket statement about 2 subs being 3db louder that a single is with all things being equal, meaning doubling two of the same subs may but two sealed subs in a small sealed box may not put you at 3db hotter than a single in a correctly ported box. Things are not always equal. Also the subs efficiency comes into play as well. The comparison has to be specific to drivers, amps and box types.
do you mean sa x-12's or the sa12 v2's? They are rated at 750 rms, i figured 1200 a peice would be near overkill.

·
Registered
589 Posts
do you mean sa x-12's or the sa12 v2's? They are rated at 750 rms, i figured 1200 a peice would be near overkill.
The Sundowns are way underrated. I'm running four sa8s on a Taramps HD3k and they take it like a champ.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts