DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to decide if I would benefit from a DSP. I’m using Dyn 342’s in the front and Dyn 242’s in the rear. I don’t really want to go all out and go fully active, so I’m wondering if I would still benefit from a dsp.

Also, what DSP would you recommend on the high end. Currently looking at Zapco.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
I only use Helix/Brax for processing in my shop

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've had the jl twk 88 and now have the helix dsp.3.
For passive setup I think the helix would be good cause it has way more bands than the jl does. But I have no gripes with either of them.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Thanks. I’m familiar with Brax but it seems hard to get. I need this before my install on Monday. I’ll look at Brax again.
Brax and helix are the same parent company. same software and everything. A brax dsp is more than most peoples entire install and takes over a month to have it made. Look into the Helix

·
Listener of Music
2,857 Posts
Dayton 408 with next day shipping from parts express. A small amount of money invested to prove you need a dsp. After you get used to it and upgrade to a 3 way (because you will!) hit up Skizer for that Helix

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Dayton 408 with next day shipping from parts express. A small amount of money invested to prove you need a dsp. After you get used to it and upgrade to a 3 way (because you will!) hit up Skizer for that Helix
Going right to the better one is cheaper, easier, and less time consuming in the long run.

·
Listener of Music
2,857 Posts
I agree.

Most can't fathom spending even 200 on something they don't know they need. Just suggesting something that may not seem unreasonable to an inexperienced. ;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks. I’m familiar with Brax but it seems hard to get. I need this before my install on Monday. I’ll look at Brax again.
Brax and helix are the same parent company. same software and everything. A brax dsp is more than most peoples entire install and takes over a month to have it made. Look into the Helix
Out of curiosity, how much is a Brax DSP? Have you installed many? The description on their site makes it sound as if it practically perfectly tunes itself...is that possible? It’s definitely intriguing.

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much is a Brax DSP? Have you installed many? The description on their site makes it sound as if it practically perfectly tunes itself...is that possible? It’s definitely intriguing.
I have one going in a car soon, with the possibility of another soon. I haven't read the description on the site, but all modern helix/match/brax dsps all have an Auto EQ feature. You just have to set delays, crossovers, routing, etc.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
curious about DSP as well. with a head unit that has DSP (DEX-P99RS) could you forgo the separate DSP and get similar results?

ASSUMING front channels only - no rear fill

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
... I need this before my install on Monday.
Two days does not seem like enough time to understand whether you need one, and then which one you need.

Maybe it is enough time, but it took me longer.

What problem are you needing to correct, that a DSP can solve?
What is a DSP going to do for you?

·
Registered
920 Posts
curious about DSP as well. with a head unit that has DSP (DEX-P99RS) could you forgo the separate DSP and get similar results?

ASSUMING front channels only - no rear fill
Yes. The P99 has plenty of processing, and will be more than enough for the majority of listeners.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Yes. The P99 has plenty of processing, and will be more than enough for the majority of listeners.
Yup. A standalone DSP will be more powerful on paper, and in the hands of someone who really knows that they’re doing, they would have the advantage. But, the P99RS can do an active 4-way system very well. It has flexible crossovers and independent left/right EQ. You can make an incredible system if you can learn enough to take advantage of all of it’s features.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Two days does not seem like enough time to understand whether you need one, and then which one you need.

Maybe it is enough time, but it took me longer.

What problem are you needing to correct, that a DSP can solve?

What is a DSP going to do for you?

You mask some of the stupidest questions as make some of the dumbest posts on a daily basis. Blows my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
You mask some of the stupidest questions as make some of the dumbest posts on a daily basis. Blows my mind.
Well at least I am providing a service - which may be to make others look smart. :)

Thankfully the forum allows a variety of perspectives, and it is easy for people to just ignore the dumb posts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts