DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that sub up/port back is the recommended enclosure for an SUV

Right now I have the 12w3 in a sub up/port up enclosure (built to JL's specs)

Would it be worth it to make a new box or just get rid of it and get something bigger/louder?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
wont make much difference. the only thing I would do is re-orientate the sub to a rear facing direction. no cone sag that way, again, not much difference.

sub placement can have some effect on sound, but for the most part, the wavelengths are too long to make any difference in a car.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Move it around, I doubt having port and sub on different sides is going to make that much difference. All you have there is the frequencies at tuning are played mostly by the port otherwise its the same as any box.

IMHO having the proper tuning you want, meaning the total enclosure frequency response, and of course meeting your output needs....is way more important than other details. You can buy a box if you find subs for it that give an FR you like, but I tend to build what I want most of the time. Then I can make it fit the car, tune it for whatever subs, etc.

I guess what I mean is moving the box will have minor effect, so if you are saying 'these subs are not getting it on for me'....then sure you should plan on something larger that fits your needs. If you have the room larger is typically free output.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts