DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys and girls :)

I have a 06 G35 coupe and I'm redoing my whole system.

I'm going to be running a JL10w6v2 sub with a JL XD600/1 amp to it. Front components will be DLS Ultimate UP6i 2 way 6.5's.

Since I'm using a sub I'm not going to use the rear deck 6 x 9 speaker since they are actually used as subs with the stock unit.

I have 6.5's in the rear side panels and that's what I'm having a hard time trying to figure out if I should just leave them out also and just run the fronts with the sub.

I know it's probably a personal choice and I just can't get out of my mind the fact of having a system with no rear speakers.

I was told by a member on one for g35 forums that running the rear side panels will just muddy up my sound stage.

Has anyone ran their systems with and without rear speakers when you had a sub installed.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
It all depends really. If done properly it will add some ambience and a greater since of depth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It all depends really. If done properly it will add some ambience and a greater since of depth.
So if I include the rears would I just get a set of coaxials that are around half the power as the front? My DLS are rated at 150rms each, was thinking maybe getting some rears that are around 50 to 75 rms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's another question.

If I have a 4 channel amp that powers out 150 rms per channel. Is it possible to adjust the amp to put out 150 rms to the two channels that power the fronts and adjust the other two channels to put out less the 100 rms per channel?

The reason I'm asking this is because if I buy rear speakers that have less power than the front speaker and my amps is putting out 150 rms and my rear speakers can only handle 75 rms, I don't want to blow them. If amp doesn't I guess I would have to buy a separate amp to run the rears.

It's obvious I'm a newbie when it comes to all of this.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Here's another question.

If I have a 4 channel amp that powers out 150 rms per channel. Is it possible to adjust the amp to put out 150 rms to the two channels that power the fronts and adjust the other two channels to put out less the 100 rms per channel?

The reason I'm asking this is because if I buy rear speakers that have less power than the front speaker and my amps is putting out 150 rms and my rear speakers can only handle 75 rms, I don't want to blow them. If amp doesn't I guess I would have to buy a separate amp to run the rears.

It's obvious I'm a newbie when it comes to all of this.
You could that. Just because an amp is rated at certain amount its not going to be doing that all the time.
That being said i wouldnt amp them or spend anything on them. Use the stock and put the money that you were going to spend on something else.
Start doing some reading there is so much info on this site.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Install your gear first, listen and then decide if you need/want rear speakers
I would agree with this. Try without rears for now, see if you miss them. If your front stage is setup right, you may not miss them at all.

If you find you still want them, or something is missing, then look into it. Give yourself a couple weeks without them first, to get accustomed to it. Then evaluate...

Most 4 channel amps will have separate gains per set of outputs. You can dial down the rears if you put them in, so no worries there.
Not sure if I'd put a coax back there though, I'm not a fan of tweets behind me... This could mess with your imaging and staging. Think more just a mid/midbass.

What they mean by done properly would be with appropriate processing. To enhance your front stage, you'll want to manipulate the signal in some way. But if that's not Your concern, and you just want additional output... Don't worry about processing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts