DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working out plans for an install, I have a question.

In the execution of a three-way front stage, who is the more important driver - a tweeter or the small format midrange (4" and below).

A. Should I invest my money into getting the best tweeter over the midrange? Why?

B. Or get the best midrange driver first over the tweeter? Why?

At times it is expensive to do both and stay inside a budget, respectively - it is a battle.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
IMO the midrange covers frequencies that are MUCH more important to reproduce accurately for our listening pleasure then the tweeter.

While clearly a decent tweeter is important as well, there are any number of affordable silk dome tweeters that can do the job for a reasonable expense that still complement the midrange.

My advice is to spend money on an excellent midrange first then swap to a bette tweeter when you have the funds.

·
Registered
290 Posts
One of the benefits of building a 3way is the tweeter doesn’t need to play as low. Typically, a lower cost tweeter will do just fine. Spend the coin on the midrange.
I found a deal on a pair of Thiel (Scanspeak) 10f/8424G’s for my midrange duty.
Used an old set of CDT DRT25ti for tweets.
JBL 660GTI for midbass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Huckleberry Sound

·
Registered
831 Posts
In a car, how much above 5k are you really hearing while driving? I'd be surprised to hear a 3" mid that cant mate up to something cheap like a dayton nd20/nd16. That would get you by while evaluating midrange performance.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I’ve wondered this exact thing also.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
It's always in your best interest to pick the best midrange you can afford. Human hearing is most sensitive within the midrange, we notice the most distortion within midrange frequencies, and above all, the bulk of virtually any music track has the largest percentage of notes / tones at midrange frequencies.

Almost every modern music track is similar to a bell curve. Some low end, some high end, but proportionately speaking, the bulk of the track is at midrange frequencies.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
It's always in your best interest to pick the best midrange you can afford. Human hearing is most sensitive within the midrange, we notice the most distortion within midrange frequencies, and above all, the bulk of virtually any music track has the largest percentage of notes / tones at midrange frequencies.

Almost every modern music track is similar to a bell curve. Some low end, some high end, but proportionately speaking, the bulk of the track is at midrange frequencies.
I'm jumping on the midrange band wagon too.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
While working out plans for an install, I have a question.

In the execution of a three-way front stage, who is the more important driver - a tweeter or the small format midrange (4" and below).

A. Should I invest my money into getting the best tweeter over the midrange? Why?

B. Or get the best midrange driver first over the tweeter? Why?

At times it is expensive to do both and stay inside a budget, respectively - it is a battle.
I replied to your question when you first posted it. However, I don't see my response for some reason.

I've been evaluating a lot of midranges and tweeters over the last few months. Here is my opinion.

The difference in midrange quality is profound. There is quite a bit of difference between moderate cost midranges and top tier. This is where you want to invest to make the biggest difference in performance (you may want to consider keeping those Scan 12m's).

There is a lot of difference in tweeters as well. However, the difference is not as much cost driven as it is design and materials, I've heard a $100 tweeter sound 90% as good as a $550 tweeter.

Midranges cover the entire vocal range and most instruments. This is where you should place your focus. Tweeters fill in the overtones. Their function is secondary. Improve these where you can.

Ge0

·
Registered
167 Posts
What Geo said really.

Human hearing has 10 octaves of range 20-20k, with each octave being a doubling of frequency. The last two octaves being 5-10k and 10-20k, like a piano not much is actually played on those last far right keys.

However every sound has harmonics that give it it's timbre and those are multiples of the primary frequency, these will be in these upper orders and will contribute to makeing the sound natural.

Natural conclusion is to get the mid right, this voice of the system.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Midrange first always.

Human ear is most sensitive from 240-2,400hz where the major formants of the male voice are with 3khz coming in to play when singing but much above that is all harmonics and timbre (which is equally important to get right but much easier.) You can get a good silk dome tweeter from Dayton for $15/ea that if you have a REALLY good midrange will blow your mind at how good it will sound.

I chose my 6x9s by specifically listening for the midrange capability knowing that it might be a few years before I get around to building a-pillars for dedicated mids.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I went a different way for my car, I went with the best budget hard come mid I’d seen with the ceramic sb acoustics after erins review, and then a beryllium tweeter so I had excellent low distortion midrange and a fantastic tweeter also £650 for the set covers 130-30khz realistically

It all depends on your budget... sb29rdnc c0004 tweeters are excellent for 100 dollars a pair and an sb mfc mid of whatever size to go with (just watch the cone break up peaks higher up!) for £230 for four drivers and I would run them if I didn’t have the budget for the berylliums

·
Super Moderator
2,032 Posts
It seems almost unanimous that the midrange is the priority driver - and I would agree.

Here is my experience;
  • I had an AudioFrog GB40 paired with a GB10 in my front stage - and it sounded fantastic.
  • Then I upgraded the tweeter to a Sinfoni Tempo 10 - and it was marginally better (but not substantial).
  • Then I upgraded the mid to an Esotar 430 - and the sound was most definitely substantially improved.
  • Then I upgraded the tweeter to a Focal TBM - and it was in improvement over the Tempo 10 (but not as noticable as when I swapped the mids).
The original GB40 / GB10 set in now used as rear fill...

1 - 20 of 97 Posts