DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently I bought 2 12" Treo SSi's for my first build. I ran them for a couple weeks, until my amp blew. I was running them in a flimsy sealed box (little larger than spec), with NO adjusting on the amp. I noticed that the bass was simply not too accurate. Especially when I played Trance or Pop songs, the bass just held out too long and started getting muddy. I'm guessing this has tons to do with the crossover on the amp being at 200hz and having a less than ideal enclosure. Also, I was running stock speakers, so they didn't blend the best either. However, I do know they have way too much power than I need. I had a headache when I got out of the car....guess I'm more of a SQ guy.

So, while I'm waiting for my amp to get repaired, my buddy offered to buy these subs from me. He is a total SPL freak, and absolutely loved these subs. Just wondering if I should hang on to these and get things setup right, or maybe try to get some more SQ oriented 10" subs? The amp will have to stay (Kicker 1500.1), but I'm sure I can find total SQ subs that will work nicely with the amp. BTW, the music I listen to most is stuff like: Ke$ha, AC/DC, Avril Lavigne, Armin van Buuren, etc. So a lot of Trance, Pop, Country, Rock, and small amount of Rap.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't like to be one to make blind judgements, but, to me it sounds like the amp wasn't set properly.

"Boomy" bass is caused by poor enclosures. You should get that sub modeled for the right enclosure size/type.

An "SQ" sub will sound just as bad or worse if not in the right box.

Better sound from your sub will go in the following manner:
1. Box
2. Amp
3. Woofer

As a rule of thumb, a cheap sub in the right enclosure with the right amount of power will sound WORLDS better than a 1000$ sub with a poor box and not properly powered.

If you're spending hundreds on a sub, and then can't properly install it, you should spend less on the sub and more on the box and amp.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah....I didn't have a chance to get anything set right with the amp before it blew. I had the crossover up higher, cuz my stock speakers have absolutely no midbass. I'm guessing it will be a lot less muddy when it's turned down to about 50hz? I'm getting Focal Polyglass 165VB's so they should take care of the midbass pretty well.

As far as the enclosure, I was using a sealed box I got for nothing to hold me over. The box is a little big, does not have a divider between the subs, and has no bracing. I believe people have said that the Treo SSi's sound better in a ported box. I was planning on having a guy build me a nice ported box built to spec and tuned to about 28hz.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Most subs can sound quite good for daily driver SQ, you will need a HD sub that takes some power if you like them to be loud at times. Its the box that makes the most difference, the EQ/boost/xover/etc you run on them that matters second. The amp itself really only need make the power level you want or its not big enough. If your mids don't make any midbass, well, that is not the sub's problem and not really what a sub is for.

If you plain don't need that much sub you can dump them of course. Other factors are how large a box you need to make them sound like you want, which you need to model to find out. Some people switch subs so they can use a smaller box. Some use a cheaper or more efficient sub in a larger ported, they are more efficient and need less power can use a smaller amp for those. All depends on what way you want to go and how low you want them to get. In general a smaller sub will not get as low, but only in general.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You should tune down your crossover on the subs down to 31-40 if you would like it to hit more accurate. Subs are for base and you could get a nice component set to help your needs with mid bass.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
You should tune down your crossover on the subs down to 31-40 if you would like it to hit more accurate. Subs are for base and you could get a nice component set to help your needs with mid bass.
31-40hz? How about starting with 80hz. Not many comps in the world are going to hit those frequencies much less with authority.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts