DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one thing installed by a shop.....ever. It was a basic amp kit because I was working a lot back then when the car was new and did not have the time. Fast forward 5 years, I've replaced every piece of equipment in the car except for the power wire. I just placed a huge order from Knu Konceptz because I've basically been using Radio Shack RCAs and overall cheap wiring components. I have a fuse at the battery of course and each component has it's separate fuse close to the component.

What I just discovered while ripping everything out was that they used 4ga aluminum wire from the battery to the distro block. I have no idea how I never noticed this before. Everything else is 4ga copper to the amps and grounds that I installed.

I'm downsizing from a MacIntosh 430, JL 6 channel, and a 1,000w Infinity amp on the subs to either two HD 600/4s and a 750/1 or one 600/4 and one 900/5. I currently have the one 600/4 and purchasing the other HD amp(s) soon.

What's kind of scary is at one time I had 3 class A/B amps including the sub amp running off of that wire.

So should I upgrade the power wire that's feeding at least a pair of HD amps and an MS8? I have a feeling the answer is going to be yes but I was curious if doing so would be overkill. The HDs are efficient and my subs require very, very little power.

I just saw that Knu is having that half price sale on the power wire.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
is it full up AL wire or is it CCA? nothing wrong with AL but you do have to compensate with a bigger gauge than you would use for CU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts