DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Should there be an intake-exam to register here?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says...

This place is full of ads, there are restrictions (long time between searches and posts) and when you hit "New Posts", 90% of the threads are "noob-questions".
This is something that scares people that want to talk about more advanced stuff and read/post reviews away.

The "noobs" even got their section to post perfectly searchable questions!

This forum used to be about more advanced and/or alternative mobile-audio methods and people that want to contribute, but it has become a place full of noobs asking 1 or 2 basic questions and then leave off again!

Wouldn't it be better to make people answer a few basic and slightly advanced questions an require them to have at least 75% of them right before they can register?

If the person isn't experienced enough to give enough right answers, he'll be stimulated to use the search-function or Google before asking something easily searchable...

Isabelle

·
Registered
636 Posts
I vote yes, and this is why:

People that absolutely feel the need to register will probably know the answers to certain questions asked. If they don't they are probably willing to search for them... If they can search the answers to pass the exam, they know how to search for other questions and should be stimulated further to do so.

Also the need for the "no question is dumb" section will become obsolete because all the info is here already.
The above again will free up space on the servers so measures like those taken lately would not need to be called for (45sec-rule, privileges for contributing members, ...)

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I vote no... and this is why. An entrance exam asking advanced questions? for people to take who come here to ask questions? That's ridiculous. I hate stupid questions as much as the next guy but the only way you learn anything is to ask someone who knows. This forum is full of VERY knowledgable techs, installers, owners, enthusiasts and DIYers... We all learn from each other and congregate here to share knowledge and pass what we know on to people who need help. I myself have benefited a lot from good pople like DAT, Allan74, Starboy1, Niebur3, Subwoofery, Cedoman... just to name a few. I've been into car audio for over 20 years and have always felt knowledgable in the trade... that's until I joined DIYMA. I have been humbled more than a few times and have appreciated the slice of humble pie I was given. I don't know about you but I love car audio and enjoy it when others catch the bug. I say let's help who we can.... noob, novice or veteran. To any true noobs out there... shoot me a pm with your noobian questions, I enjoy helpin. There's my .02. :cool:

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
been discussed years ago when the information, questions, and reviews were more knowledgeable and pertinent...now the same information discussed today is being discussed on every forum except for the members that put thought into their questions that aren't answerable with searching or google

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Which forum has not had this Q postulated ?

ummm Car Sound and Performance , Talk Audio , Elite car Audio , DIY , CAE , DIYMA, etcetera :p

·
Napoleon of DIYMA
846 Posts
No!

But a reputation system should be put in place. New user can post only in the no dumb question section and when the get right level of reputation helping others in the no dumb section they can unlock the other ones. Yes it's more work for the moderation team but it all depend where the site owner want to go with the site, my bet more traffic = more revenue...

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree the questions shouldn't be of high level, but what we see now is the same (irrelevant) question posted over and over again.

I mean: How should we know what amps or speakers you need or which sub is the more esssssque to you.... It's something for the people themselves to determine.

I got nothing against noobs and am also willing t help, though many of them aren't willing to learn and that's what makes respectable people stay in the background. I sometimes really wonder why we don't see many of the reputable members here anymore, and I think the answer is pretty simple: they don't want to sift through true noobquestions daily and don't want to put up with people that think they know best although they don't.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see 6 "No!" votes at the moment, but no 6 posts with reasons why not while I clearly ask to explain when voting "No!"... Even the single "Other idea" vote isn't explained in this thread!

Come on people, if you aren't willing to explain why you don't agree, just don't vote, it's not like you HAVE to vote to be able to do something further...

I tought it was clear in the opening post, but the questions of that "exam" wouldn't be advanced questions but quite basic. For example "why would somebody use 0GA power wire over cheaper 4GA powerwire?" and stuff like that.

I'm sorry, but some questions asked by noobs lately are even lower in "level" than this example question! People willing to learn about more advanced and alternative mobile audio have always been welcome here and for me, they still are, but more and more people just think "I'll ask this on a forum" instead of "I'll google it and if I don't find a clear answer, I'll ask it on a forum". That's why people are leaving this place and that's why this place costs a lot of money to maintain!

Isabelle

·
Mobile Audio SQ
3,360 Posts
Just ignore them ladies, thats what I do. If all of us stopped giving them the time of day and ignored them they would get the hint, but for those who actually are here to LEARN something and take the time to use the search function but arent anything more than just entry level or "noobs" they will loose out.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
it won't happen. this site is for profit not the love of the hobby anymore (ownership, not members). if they were selective as to who could and could not join there were not be as much traffic and therefore not as much possible revenue.

·
Registered
636 Posts
^^ This is true.

Though I wonder how long it would take before the income from this forum would drop to $0,00, if the core members of this forum leave off... Noobs that post 1 or 2 questions won't pay the bills...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's funny to see how "many" posts the people have that voted "No!" or "Other idea..." without explaining (while I clearly ask for this).
Somebody even voted "No!" and off-course without explaining, while having 0 posts... That one will be a serious addition to this forum :laugh:

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
Online forums can make a big difference by making you feel part of the OU community, connecting to other students and keeping you motivated. It's a help to know that other people are struggling with the same issues as you, and that you can share problems and ideas at any time of day or night

Online forums are a different way of learning from face-to-face methods, and people need to learn how to do it successfully. For example, there are much longer time delays in a discussion, and you might miss non-verbal cues such as tone of voice or facial expression. Some differences are positive: you have more time to think about what you want to say. Some are a nuisance: it's possible to misinterpret people's written words.

uses of forums?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Yep, another somebody with ZERO posts voted "No!" without explaining...

I guess there should be a few reading-tests and "how to use a forum?" questions in that intake-exam too :laugh:

It's good to see most people support my idea (since most of the "No!" and the single "Other idea" votes don't count because they aren't explained)!

The noobs are not only destroying this place, they're also sabotaging topics about how to make this site better!

That's it, if somebody that's active here for over 3 years doesn't get any respect anymore from NOOBS(!!!) and nothing is done about it, I'll guess I'll have to start looking for a less-commercial forum that still is about anything-more-than-basic and alternative mobile audio......

·
Registered
729 Posts
I voted no. I will put it simply:

The 12v industry needs as much exposure as it can get, especially the essque side.

Also, and from a different angle, isn't there already a separate area for paying members? Couldn't that be a "safe haven" for the ultra-advanced topics?

Third - a personal anecdote: When I came on here, I didn't even know what running active entailed. I knew how to install subwoofers, head units, and not much more. If there had been an entry exam, I'd have failed it.

I will say one thing though - if the entry "exam" was very simple, and revolved around how to use the basic tools of a forum (like SEARCH FIRST) then it could be beneficial.

·
Registered
722 Posts
1st you make a poll questioning the proper usage of the forum, then make repeated posts in thread about members not being able too use your poll properly ...

Maybe you're in the wrong company?

·
Registered
475 Posts
"why would somebody use 0GA power wire over cheaper 4GA powerwire?"

Isabelle

Girth:blush:

Yes, on second thought no, on third thought other.
Maybe a good idea for the technical threads, but what about some of the other threads? For instance, you may have extensive knowledge of different products. Due to financial abundance you may care less about the install or how things work, but love music and have professional installers do all the work for you. Having a keen ear it would be beneficial to post in the Member Product Review. Or what about Off Topic? There’s some very deep shit:surprised: going on there.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally somebody that is willing to explain why he's against this idea!

You have a very good point about people that might have a lot of experience with products, but not with the technical part and with installing, but I wonder if DIYMobileAudio is the right place for these people?

Maybe there must become an option "explain why you want to join this forum" as an alternative to the intake-exam for people like that that think they can add something to this forum without having DIY-experience?

Isabelle

1 - 20 of 82 Posts