DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys secure your sub enclosures?? I like to "hang it out" once in a while with my car, but right now the box is not tied down, so I've been taking it easy. Velcro is lame..... Straps, maybe..... Anything that will get in the way when I want luggage is out of the question. So show me some pics of what you use! Looking for something that will let me enter a corner with reckless abandon!!! FWIW, its a trunk mount in a CLK 500.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I currently have a DIY fiberglass enclosure in my spare wheel well, which is bolted down to the bracket that was used to hold down the spare.

In previous installs where I've used a more 'traditional' enclosure, I've always had a false-floor of some sort so the box could either be bolted to that from the inside (very reliable), or used little L-brackets around the base (less reliable).

Depending on the size of the sub/box I have seen people use large amounts of velcro, as well as kevlar straps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Never had a problem with L brackets!

If you have the money for a CLK you can have a matching snap-on instinct soft grip philips driver in the trunk area for quick removal when luggage time comes.

had a single ported 10 in my genesis coupe with a single L bracket and that thing got slideways with no sub movement.

You should try the 24k gold brackets

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I agree.......bolt it in place. must harder for people to steal too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a pretty ugly set of L brackets securing my sub. I'll try to remember to take pics in the morning.

+1 when it comes to taking those turns with reckless abandon!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's a fantastic enclosure. Any tips for getting it to line up so well along the right edge with the factory carpeting? Did you just set it in place after it was nearly done and bondo it in and then smooth the edge? I cant see being able to lay the glass so perfect when you're making the mold. I would be embarrassed about mine if it wasn't the first time I've ever used fiberglass. You can search my name with mustang in the title to find a few pics.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I just laid the glass forming the back a good few inches past the edge and then trimmed as needed to get the shape I wanted. There was no filler used. When I get back to the office I'll post up some pics showing it step by step.

The only tip I can think of is to reinforce the edge from inside. If you try to lay glass over the edge on the outside you won't get that nice form fit. I use the cake decorating method. Fill a large ziplock freezer bag with duraglass, then cut one corner off. You can now apply it into corners and cracks with control and have a nice uniform finish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive run the same box for years, in various cars. I have always used straps.
2 2" wide, with the double clip luggage type buckles.
I screw them in 2 places per strap, to either the false floor ive made, or the carpet if it has a plastic / hardboard backing.
Keeps it simple for if i need to remove it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts