DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2287 Posts

·
11,394 Posts
Whispers. I followed the "Whispers in my pillar" thread and did what Jeff was talking about. They cross to a tweeter in the factory locations in the sail panel.

I dunno if I have any pictures of the speakers prior to installation, but there are some on the Madisound site and Linkwitz's site.

Car is a 2001 Lexus IS300.

^^ are those Whispers? TB? What "array" is that?

any pics of the speakers before install? what kind of car?

Rob

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
So far loving minibox's pillars...

thank you!!
Minibox's pillars are fantastic - aesthetically pleasing and musically pleasing.

Winslow's whispers sounded incredible as well - completely stealth.

Pusko - I had saved down pictures from your build log - fantastic craftsmanship - attention to detail.

I'm interested in seeing additional install locations at the base of the pillars - may go this route in the future.

·
11,394 Posts
If I had a big set of er, you know...I would have done something larger in the corners of the dash facing up. But I couldn't make them look factory like I did the Whispers. And the last thing I want is someone walking past the car and seeing some speakers, then deciding they wanted whatever was in the car more than I did.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
derickveliz, your pods will turn out great :D

Thank you storm, this is the first time I put my hands to work with fiber glass and bondo, It's a learning process...:)

Your pods look awesome! I'm struggling how I'm going to do the small spheres for the tweeters... :confused:

.;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
If I had a big set of er, you know...I would have done something larger in the corners of the dash facing up. But I couldn't make them look factory like I did the Whispers. And the last thing I want is someone walking past the car and seeing some speakers, then deciding they wanted whatever was in the car more than I did.
I am currently thinking about my next upgrade: doing double parallelled whispers (or maybe single Founteks) in some dash corner pods. Two 8-ohm units=4 ohm, slight angle between them (10 degrees maybe?). That's an interesting concept about crossing back to the tweeter sails...but doesn't that "pull" everything back down lower/closer?? Hmmm...

Still trying to decide between A-pillars and the custom dash pods angled toward the dome light. Any thoughts?

Also:
How much power do you run to them?
How do they sound? I.e., any regrets on driver choice?

I'm VERY intrigued! Hope you see this post.

·
11,394 Posts
I put the tweeters in the sail panels because that is the widest spot to mount them. Put them on the pillars, and you are inside the boundaries of the car...and it only gets worse as you go up the pillar with them. No it doesn't pull. I know the tweeters are there, and I can play music and look at the tweeters but there is no sound coming from the speaker- you know what I mean? It's all blended really well. The passives I made for the tweeter and Whispers has flat power response up to about 10k where the tweeter starts to beam.

Power? I have a channel of a JL HD600/4 on them. That's what? 150-225 watts for the 2 Whispers and the tweeter. Highpassed at 400 hertz and takes it like a champ.

They sound excellent. The two Whispers nets you the cone area of a single 3. I had some Fountek FR88s (excellent drivers BTW) that was originally going in the car. However I couldn't make them look as stealthy as I wanted. Always get the largest midrange driver you can fit.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks, great info!

I'm pretty new around the forum, and I'm more experienced as a HT home speaker builder than a 12v expert...my car installs are good, but limited-funds stuff. Since I have been checking out DIYMA, I want to go from "sounds great" to "WTF?? Wow!!"

My stage-2 plan was to go with an MS-8 with the mid pods in the front corners of the dash, angled toward the dome light (maybe even go to an extra center pod later, if desired). Is this considered less desirable than the A-pillar install? To me it seems more logical, but then again for now I'm stuck in non-DSP land. All my thinking is based on analog placement, if that makes a difference. In the past, I did an A-pillar install for an additional set of tweets (aka CDT), but never for the entire upper stage.

Anyone with an opinion is welcome to share it. thanks. (not trying to hijack the thread)

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's near the a-pillar

**I see you wanted midrange also... that may be coming in the future.

I was really enjoying the talent and craftsmanship in this thread.

Make sure you buy some bigger suction cups for those midranges.

21 - 40 of 2287 Posts