DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2335 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I gotta say there is some very nice craftsmanship here.

>^..^

·
Registered
491 Posts
someone say off axis?

I've got that covered! This is before the dashmat...

Hey Derick, ever think about glassing with a racketball?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
someone say off axis?

I've got that covered! This is before the dashmat...

Hey Derick, ever think about glassing with a racketball?
Hey those are nice looking, but wouldnt that cause even more reflection problems?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I don't seem to have any issues. Very solid stage as you can imagine. I've anticipated dash reflections, and laid down the dashmat since that picture.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i tried my mids at every conceivable angle and the ones that actually worked were mids/tweets pointing straight at each other off axis, even though the Focal BE trend is relatively on axis pointing to opposite driver/passenger it just didn't work for me. then again i always rely on my own ears and not the ill advice that can be picked up from forums where "know it alls" dish out theories they read somehere and not real life experiances :laugh:

just try things out, there are no fixed written in stone rules for car audio, always expect the unexpected :eek:

Mark.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I don't seem to have any issues. Very solid stage as you can imagine. I've anticipated dash reflections, and laid down the dashmat since that picture.
Thats awesome, of course i will be trying all different angles before the actual glassing... hope to be able to do it soon!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Yeah, I can see why a cross aiming scheme works in some installs. Sometimes direct aiming can be a bit too hot or "in your face" for pillar installs. I would think this would help in bringing less attentions to the audio coming from the speakers which helps in balancing out the sound of the near side driver.

Also, the pillars with the HAT drivers for example look MUCH nicer vs. a large monstrosity hanging off the pillar. These below would be about the most crazy I have seen:

A setup like this one below makes a lot of sense but many still don't want to go that far in the name of sound:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I'm going the route that VW is taking with the mids/tweets. I can't get my 10's in the doors on-axis like those Exclusives. :p

Walt, I've seen that pic before, who's car is that?

·
Registered
491 Posts
@WLdock

I completely agree with the big pillar thought. I can actually make the pillars smaller. I say that after having spent SOOO much time, not only myself but the guys at the shop as well, into the creation of those.

For me, I sit there and think WTF would you want them on axis? When I listen to mine, they are bright enough I take down my midrange quite a bit as well as lowering the tweeter level a little. This may have a bit to do with the reflections off the glass as well. The off axis response of the HATs is remarkable compared to others. I say that as someone who has tried several other top brands of speaker manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A setup like this one below makes a lot of sense but many still don't want to go that far in the name of sound:

This is the approach I'm trying to do, but the mid-bass on the floor and not in the doors; I wish I could do it with such a great quality, very nice indeed.

,[/B]

·
Registered
509 Posts
Nice install WLDock!

·
Registered
95 Posts
not many pics but here's one before i trimmed them, they came out real good, i'm happy with them and the colour match is very good too :) they are an open back design but well sealed from the front to back ;)

41 - 60 of 2335 Posts