DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 2289 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
In my civic

dvflyer,

Are those pods sealed up, or do the vent into the dash? What drivers are those? Do you have a wdescreen shot of the entire dash? Do you have a build log?

·
Registered
352 Posts
dvflyer,

Are those pods sealed up, or do the vent into the dash? What drivers are those? Do you have a wdescreen shot of the entire dash? Do you have a build log?
The pods are stuffed with polyfill and vent into the a-pillars. They are Hybrid Audio midrange drivers and Seas tweeters (the Seas midbass drivers are in the doors).

I don't think I have a widescreen shot, but can take one.

I did not build these but helped a bit. Dom (Mr. X) built them. I thought I put a build log here so I'll go check and edit this post.

Edit: Found it

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The pods are stuffed with polyfill and vent into the a-pillars. They are Hybrid Audio midrange drivers and Seas tweeters (the Seas midbass drivers are in the doors).

I don't think I have a widescreen shot, but can take one.

I did not build these but helped a bit. Dom (Mr. X) built them. I thought I put a build log here so I'll go check and edit this post.

Edit: Found it
Cool, thanks for the link. :) Those L4s look like they have plenty of breathing room with those large vents.

If you don't mind taking a widescreen shot sometime it would be much appreciated. I have a Civic myself, so I'd like to "size it up". What year is yours?

·
Registered
267 Posts
@Mrstrangerbanger....I happened to notice your U/N pic with the Focal 3w2 and Be tweeter...Is this your setup? Any fabrication pics? Im trying to find a set of the mids to go with my krx2 and was considering putting them in my A-pillars. Any comment on the 3w2 vs many of the nicer 3" mids out there today? (L3's, Daytons, etc..) What do you have them crossed at and what are they seeing for power?

To everyone, Im interested in trying 3-way but need to run the mids off the same MS-8 channels as the tweeters, therefore would like to keep them as close together as possible for t/a and blending reasons. I currently have the tweeters in the sails, off axis. I have no fiberglass experience but I am pretty handy, but still not looking to make putting a $600 set of mids in my a-pillars my first wack at it.

So my questions being, do mids have to be on-axis to perform well? Could I get away with mounting them in the door panels, as close as I can to the tweet? (Probably be pointing towards the area under the radio with how my doors are shaped) Any suggestions on an electronic x-over just to separate the two channels into 4? Ive also heard sail panels work best for one seat, is this true and will the ms-8 fix this?
My other idea was to attempt to put both the tweeter and mid in the sail panel..the flange on the mid is about just as wide as the sail panel so it shouldnt look too funny if I make them shallow enough, and I could replace the sails real cheap if I was to ever mess up. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Cool, thanks for the link. :) Those L4s look like they have plenty of breathing room with those large vents.

If you don't mind taking a widescreen shot sometime it would be much appreciated. I have a Civic myself, so I'd like to "size it up". What year is yours?
Here you go... fresh off the camera:

My Civic is a 2008 LX Coupe.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mounted the Morel MT23 in a sphere enclosure with grill cloth over it. The metal stand is now powder coated in black matt finish. Midbass located in stock location.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great thread! Subscribed.

someone say off axis?

I've got that covered! This is before the dashmat...

Hey Derick, ever think about glassing with a racketball?

I am just getting ready to start my L3 off axis A pillar build in my E39 M5. Great work. I would be very interested in seeing any "build" pics if you have them......

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
^^ copycat! j/k looks great

·
18,358 Posts
How about some explanation WHY these designs were chosen? Why was the tweeter off axis vs. on axis? Why was the mid firing one way while the tweeter was firing the other way?...

Seeing pictures of builds is great, and it helps to see what is possible, but in the quest for sound quality I think the best thing we can do is to get an understanding of the efforts gone in to testing the locations and/or why the final result is what it is.

- Erin

61 - 80 of 2289 Posts