DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

161 - 180 of 2289 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok, I gotta ask...

I played with putting mids and tweets in the pillars and it was so side biased it was like there was only 1 speaker in the car. No center image whatsoever.

Are you guys using TA to fix this? Or just cutting the level of the driver's side way down?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very nice job on executing your desire to get such large format tweeters on axis. Impresive equipment list - may need to get over to Tampa for a listen ;)
Thank you! But I guess you'll have to come to Brazil to listen, as I am living down here now...:p

forgot to change the profile

·
Registered
39 Posts

Well here are my pods... Im 20 and broke all the time... The tweets in the pic have long since been replaced with Dayton ND20 Surface Mount tweets.

Mids are TB 802SC drivers wired in parralell for 4 ohm load...

This was my first attempt at putting mids on the dash, and learned much about this... One, 2 drivers laying horizontally makes for mad directionality issues. 2cnd the idea of 2 mids is just bad imo, comb filtering issues and such.

But i used what i had on hand I can also provide a new up to date pic with the new tweets if people are interested.

Vehicle is a 90 Accord LX. All in all, for 10$ in tweets and 20$ in the mids, PE tent sale... I dnt think they sound too bad :D

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

Well here are my pods... Im 20 and broke all the time... The tweets in the pic have long since been replaced with Dayton ND20 Surface Mount tweets.

Mids are TB 802SC drivers wired in parralell for 4 ohm load...

This was my first attempt at putting mids on the dash, and learned much about this... One, 2 drivers laying horizontally makes for mad directionality issues. 2cnd the idea of 2 mids is just bad imo, comb filtering issues and such.

But i used what i had on hand I can also provide a new up to date pic with the new tweets if people are interested.

Vehicle is a 90 Accord LX. All in all, for 10$ in tweets and 20$ in the mids, PE tent sale... I dnt think they sound too bad :D
When I saw this pic I was gonna ask about the comb filtering before I even read your post. So, do you still use dual mids?

Looks good BTW. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I saw this pic I was gonna ask about the comb filtering before I even read your post. So, do you still use dual mids?

Looks good BTW. :)
Yes i do of the moment... They will come out at some point. But i need to upgrade the deck before the speakers and the motor mounts need to be changed before that :) darn 70A polyurathane is tough stuff. Motor shakes the whole car thus the cabin is a diaphram of it's own...

So for me to invest the time/money for somthing better would be pointless since there are worse things going on atm... Like my Sony CDX7000 deck bawahaha. It's GOT TO GO!!!!!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Awesome craftsmanship guys - very impressive. I have a few questions:

1: I have airbags in the top half of my pillars - can I still mount speakers in the bottom half or will it affect deployment and safety?

2: If I can't mount the speakers in the pillars due to the airbags, would a pod right next to the pillar be ok or same problem with deployment and safety?

3: Have I understood it right that mounting the mids up on the A-pillar makes creating a good sound for both front seats much more difficult than in the kicks? (I can't mount in the kicks without major dramas, and focal recommends mounting both the 3" and the tweeter up high and close to each other)

Any help very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
I can say that anyone that has ever heard my mid/tweet pillar setup can say that it sounds very VERY good. I can leave it at that.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
done with my pillars... audison thesis 3 in and tweeter.... the glassing part is HEAVYYYY... and it does not resonate at all, but the top part of the pillar itself resonates alott... i dont have much room to work wth either because of the air bag... anyone else have this problem?

i was thining molding clay and raamat... anyone else have a better way?

thanks!!

ps will hve pics up soon

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
the top part of the pillars actually have sound come out of it... imagine a speaker mounted to a thin plastic enclosure.. you could hear the backwaves coming out of the top of the pillars... has anyone attempted to block off the sound waves from going to the top?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
the top part of the pillars actually have sound come out of it... imagine a speaker mounted to a thin plastic enclosure.. you could hear the backwaves coming out of the top of the pillars... has anyone attempted to block off the sound waves from going to the top?
I lined my pillars with mat and made a clay "dam" , that fills in the void, to prevent the sound waves from migrating upwards. ;)

161 - 180 of 2289 Posts