DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought it was a typo on their website yesterday but it's true.

You read the title correctly; the Mag v4 subwoofers are being dis-continued. We have a few handful of drivers left that will be sold off as normal and after those drivers are gone, there will be no more Mag v4 subwoofers manufactured or sold.
There are a multitude of reasons for us stopping production on the v4's. We are not going to comment any further on why we are ceasing production on the v4's. Maybe years down the road we will come out with a re-release if there is enough interest, but that is not concrete.
Consider yourslef lucky if you get an order in after you have received this email and the ordering part of our web page is still up.
Nick

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Mag v4 discontinued

Great, another product I'd love to get and try, gone. Add it to the list.....:cussing:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wow. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
We still have some Mag v4's that we will sell via phone orders. We also have plenty of drivers set aside for legitimate warranty claims. But yes, the v4 is going bye-bye. Maybe we'll make something else down the road.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Haha, no, we're not going out of business. We're just not going to make the Mag v4 anymore. We're still coming out with the BM's shortly (as quickly as our assembly facility gets off their arse and gets us test data and ships the mkIII proto to us).

A v5? Hhrrrmmmm..... ;)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
So...what was wrong with the v4 then?

My initial understanding was that it was stopping due to (insert blank) issues that made it a hassle or unfeasible to continue producing, but there'd be interest in the future to recontinue the product once said problems blew over and the product could be made again.

However, with your interst in a v5, it points more towards that the v4 had errors. I know you guys spent a long time on it, so I'm quite curious. The only other issue would be cost and that the v4 costs more than feasible to produce now and a future v5 would then actually be a downgrade in some way to keep the product cost effective. yet, if it's just a matter of price, why not sell at $299 instead of $249? Is the market cometitive enough that you're forced to product a sub $250 product in order to even sell it?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I just checked the website. The technical specs (t/s params, Klippel tests) for the Mag that would appeal to a DIYer are difficult to find. In fact, it's easier to find those types of specs for drivers from other manufacturers on the website than it is to find those for the Mag. Were they pulled?

I'd like to see how it compares to something like the Shiva-X, available for about $180.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
It didn't play flat down to 16 Hz in 1 cubic foot of airspace as advertised by the manufacturer.:eek:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just checked the website. The technical specs (t/s params, Klippel tests) for the Mag that would appeal to a DIYer are difficult to find. In fact, it's easier to find those types of specs for drivers from other manufacturers on the website than it is to find those for the Mag. Were they pulled?

I'd like to see how it compares to something like the Shiva-X, available for about $180.
Here ya go. Fine fine fine...Mag v4 T/S's. ;) - Stereo Integrity Forums

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
It didn't play flat down to 16 Hz in 1 cubic foot of airspace as advertised by the manufacturer.:eek:
I claimed it would play down to 20 Hz flat and extend to (have an F3 of) 16 Hz, and it does. Here is proof (again). This was twin drivers in 0.8 ft^3 each. The number of drivers affects SPL only - it does not allow the pair to play deeper than normal. The last bar on the left is 16 Hz:

That has nothing to do with why I'm stopping production. But wrong comments such as above don't help.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

My initial understanding was that it was stopping due to (insert blank) issues that made it a hassle or unfeasible to continue producing, but there'd be interest in the future to recontinue the product once said problems blew over and the product could be made again.

However, with your interst in a v5, it points more towards that the v4 had errors. I know you guys spent a long time on it, so I'm quite curious. The only other issue would be cost and that the v4 costs more than feasible to produce now and a future v5 would then actually be a downgrade in some way to keep the product cost effective. yet, if it's just a matter of price, why not sell at $299 instead of $249? Is the market cometitive enough that you're forced to product a sub $250 product in order to even sell it?
It has nothing to do with "issues" concerning production. I never said anything like that. I could do another run of them right now without any hiccups if I wanted to but I don't want to. I'm retiring the design. That is it. Believe what you want though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I claimed it would play down to 20 Hz flat and extend to (have an F3 of) 16 Hz, and it does. Here is proof (again). This was twin drivers in 0.8 ft^3 each. The number of drivers affects SPL only - it does not allow the pair to play deeper than normal. The last bar on the left is 16 Hz:

That has nothing to do with why I'm stopping production. But wrong comments such as above don't help.
LOL - I think he was just messing with you :)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Sarcasm is hard to detect on the intrawebzorz. :)

I'm tired and cranky. I'm going to bed. Have fun guys.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
It has nothing to do with "issues" concerning production. I never said anything like that. I could do another run of them right now without any hiccups if I wanted to but I don't want to. I'm retiring the design. That is it. Believe what you want though.
I'm not believing anything, not what others say, not what I say. I'm merely speculating things that make sense. It's just strange to simply stop something that if I'm not mistaken took years of development and is basically a great all-around product. From my point of view, there has to be a specific reason for this and an interest in a v5 creates the believe that the v4 lacked (not the right word) something. I'm not saying it lacks, as it does function very well. Maybe you guys have been working hard on new technologies and see new options for the Mag that would make a v5 easily superior to the v4 in every way. Still, it's strange that the v4 would be removed before a v5 even exists. I'm not trying to be mean, but I guess I am prying a little. It's just...weird to do, although, I'm sure there are good reasons behind the choice to which I'm not doubting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts