DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You read correctly. The v4's are being dis-continued for a plethora of reasons. We will not comment any further except to say that once they are sold out, they will remain sold out for at least a couple of years.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
So you finally decided to go through with this huh. Well hell. At least I have one for posterity's sake. :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
He said he cant comment any further. But I do wonder about the warranties...
I know, that's why I'm confused.

I did want to try one of these some time down the road, guess I'll only be able to do that by buying used.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We've only had four drivers in for warranty and out of those four only two of them were covered under our warranty. The other two were blatantly abused. But irregardless we have drivers set aside for future legitimate warranty issues.

·
Registered
515 Posts
We've only had four drivers in for warranty and out of those four only two of them were covered under our warranty. The other two were blatantly abused. But irregardless we have drivers set aside for future legitimate warranty issues.
irregardless in not a word Nick!! ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Dang just read the newsletter and had to go snooping for more info. Sucks to hear, I really enjoy my mag, shame no others will be produced. I would really love to know why but I am sure that its with good reason, hope all is well Nick and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Even though its validity as a word is controversial I still use it! :p
Haha. Anyway, this is too bad, great drivers, great service, but I agree with your reasons. I have seen all of them too and have been getting sick of dealing with them myself.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We're not going out of business, we're just not going to make/sell any more Mag v4's. PS: Our web guy was supposed to leave ordering open until the end of business day tomorrow. I sent him an email asking him to open it up again for ~17 more hours.

Once the BM's come out, ordering will open up on our web site again. :)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
You read correctly. The v4's are being dis-continued for a plethora of reasons. We will not comment any further except to say that once they are sold out, they will remain sold out for at least a couple of years.
A shame but at least you intend to have them come back. I can only assume it's part manufacture, build house (not sure if you do in house), material cost, or whatever, but I hope it sorts out with time. It does seem odd to simply remove a good product from the market, but at least it's not permanent.

irregardless, me too...and I get yelled at for it too. :laugh:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Will there be a Mag v5?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
My question is the following:
Is the BM mkIII a better woofer (SQ wise) than the Mag with an even shallower depth making it the new Top of the Range for SI?
If yes, I can understand your move about leaving the Mag out for a while...

Can you answer this one Nick? Please...
Kelvin

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My question is the following:
Is the BM mkIII a better woofer (SQ wise) than the Mag with an even shallower depth making it the new Top of the Range for SI?
If yes, I can understand your move about leaving the Mag out for a while...

Can you answer this one Nick? Please...
Kelvin
It's a toss up. Especially seeing how other people perceive low-distortion drivers to standard drivers. The BM is going to be a great driver all-around. It just so happens to have a tiny mounting depth.

Personally, no. I like the Mag v4 better than the BM mkII. However, when the BM mkIII comes out I'll probably run 4 of them in my car as compared to the two Mag v4's that are in there now.

Here is what I posted over on ca.com:

To be honest, in the past few years the industry has gone down an alley I never thought it would have. People say they want the ultimate in sound quality, low-distortion, moderate (I say moderate on this board but would have said "high'ish" on any other board ) power handling drivers, but when they listen to them and they can't 'hear' the sub behind them they don't like it. The ability of a subwoofer to blend with your front stage effortlessly is what a true SQ subwoofer should be able to do without breaking a sweat.

We have sold a LOT of drivers from the DIYMA forum alone and a good bit from this forum and other forums. However, when you build a driver that handles more than 500 watts, it better be able to take 1400+, and not sound like total crap and that is it. And that's all I'm going to say (even saying that was/is a stretch and I'll probably get executed for it later). Again, the reason for me pulling the plug was not sales or profit related. I know it sounds odd, but I value other things over just making products that sell the most.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hmm, I smell TM tech problems, but I have a bit of a cold.;) This is truly sad as this is a superb sounding sub. It immerses itself so well in a system that you forget about 'pieces' and can focus on the music. More sad is that folks will only have a few more hours to get one.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Thank you Sir...
To be honest, in the past few years the industry has gone down an alley I never thought it would have. People say they want the ultimate in sound quality, low-distortion, moderate (I say moderate on this board but would have said "high'ish" on any other board ) power handling drivers, but when they listen to them and they can't 'hear' the sub behind them they don't like it. The ability of a subwoofer to blend with your front stage effortlessly is what a true SQ subwoofer should be able to do without breaking a sweat.

We have sold a LOT of drivers from the DIYMA forum alone and a good bit from this forum and other forums. However, when you build a driver that handles more than 500 watts, it better be able to take 1400+, and not sound like total crap and that is it. And that's all I'm going to say (even saying that was/is a stretch and I'll probably get executed for it later). Again, the reason for me pulling the plug was not sales or profit related. I know it sounds odd, but I value other things over just making products that sell the most.
I understand what you mean about the Mag being able to "disappear". I sometimes feel like I don't have enough bass when listenning to Live recordings :p

However, having the illusion that my midbass goes down to 30hz is a really GREAT FEELING!!!!!

Thanks Nick for your hard work, for your support, (for the free sub ;)), and all the best with your future move in the industry...

Kelvin

1 - 20 of 82 Posts