DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Vendor
2,377 Posts
@electrodynamic would be able to answer best. But all I know is get it on pre-order before the price increases. These things are high performing and one of the best bang for the buck IMO.
Pre-order will be over sometime this next month.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Is the payment on pre-order taken right away or at the time of shipping?
Pre-orders are normally at a discounted price, which are paid ahead of time. Essentially, you’re helping fund the considerable costs associated with buying a run of drivers. You’ll get a nice discount on the drivers but you won’t receive them for up to a few months.

·
Registered
202 Posts
not out yet.
preorder to be open soon, but you wont see the drivers out until Sept.
Wasn’t sure........ just curious about them. Seen the FS was 98hz on the Si site and was hoping someone had tried them out lol.
The FS is concerning to me as well. I'm surprised no one else here has brought that up.
I'd like to try out a pair but...

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Makes sense - thanks.

Pre-orders are normally at a discounted price, which are paid ahead of time. Essentially, you’re helping fund the considerable costs associated with buying a run of drivers. You’ll get a nice discount on the drivers but you won’t receive them for up to a few months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wasn’t sure........ just curious about them. Seen the FS was 98hz on the Si site and was hoping someone had tried them out lol.
Will Fs likely change when it's mounted in a door? SI claims that these drivers have "clean bandwidth of 45 Hz to 10,000 Hz (in-vehicle)". How can that be if the FS is 98 Hz?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
Fs isn't necessarily a limitation of extension. Fs is the point of excitation, however, a driver can play below especially depending on the acoustics of the environment. There's a few other calculations to see where the driver will naturally begin to roll-off and the point excursion begins to ramp up. Modeling helps some but the acoustics of the environment still comes into play.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
What about thd concerns at and below fs?

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
What about thd concerns at and below fs?
On paper and for upper frequency drivers, yes that's a concern. The amount of tolerable distortion in lower frequencies plus the fact that the sub still contributes in that area makes it not much of a concern. The SI isn't the only one with such a seemingly high Fs. Others have done well with such a design. Fs is just part of the the picture.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did some quick Googling, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Fs goes up with every generation of the TM65.

MKI: 57 Hz
MKII: 69 Hz
MKIII: 98 Hz

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I just did some quick Googling, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Fs goes up with every generation of the TM65.

MKI: 57 Hz
MKII: 69 Hz
MKIII: 98 Hz
That is correct....basically the design changes have improved the speakers ability to play cleaner at even higher midrange frequencies thus allowing it to be used as a midrange driver in a 2 way system. If being used as a dedicated mid BASS driver, there ireally s not much reason to swap to the mk3 unless you just GOTTA have the looks of carbon fiber cones.

In fact, I am still trying to decide whether to use dual Mk1 ported in the doors or dual Mk2 sealed in door pods in my next build. I have bought 4 of each, so I get to choose, but there is really no reason forum to even think about the mk3 iteration.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts