DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody that has these in a 2-way front? How do they sound and did you have the v2's before these to compare?

I have the v2's in my Sentra two way front paired with CDT TW26's and absolutely love how it sounds.The width and depth of my stage is just fantastic.

The reason I'm asking about them is that the Terrain I did a 2-way front in has SB17's paired with Seas textile domes and although it sounds good it doesn't sound as good as my Sentra.Both vehicles are fully active with the Sentra having a MiniDSP 6x8 and the Terrain having a Zapco Z8IV. Just kinda wondering out loud and looking for feedback as to whether maybe I should try some new front drivers?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
While playing above 3khz for a 6.5" driver is nice, and allows using tweeters not being able to play below 3khz, the stage tends to benefit more with a tweeter or wide band driver that can play at 2khz or lower.

I listen to the V2 often and they are good drivers, other than a bit of extra power handling and sensitivity with the V3, I would not know what to say other than if you need a good and shallow driver, by all means you should enjoy it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i have a brand new set of the tm65 mkii and tm65 mkiii and i'm debating on which ones I should use for 3-way setup. I'm somewhat leading toward the mkii for strictly midbass. obviously the tm65 mkiii is an easy choice for a 2 way since it plays higher and the mkii has nasty cone breakup starting around 1k.
and i know the mkiii have higher sensitivity, but at what frequency is this tested at? if it is at 1k hz then that wouldn't matter in this situation. if its at 100hz then that would matter...
maybe someone else can share their thoughts...
thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Everything I've read said the MKII was much better in a three-way setup. I had them in my truck with the M25 tweeter crossed at 2500 Hz and it sounded pretty good even with just the REW AutoEQ tune. I swapped them out for the MKIII and tried my first manual tune and it sounded a lot better (still crossed at 2500Hz) but I've only driven it once and the tune does need some fine tuning. I do think the III's sounded a little bit louder when I tested it briefly after installing them before retuning. I'm certainly happy with them especially considering how reasonably priced they are. I'm using a GB60/GB15 setup in my car that is still only on the AutoEQ tune. I've got a set of GB25's sitting here and I'm going to try and pick up a set of GB10's to go with them but I'm not sure which vehicle is getting them yet. If I put it in the car, I'll be moving the GB15's to the truck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been considering upgrading my MK2 to MKIII. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Well either version or any decent brand speaker is good for a 3 way since a good 6.5" driver has no issues playing from 80 to 1000 Hz leaving plenty of for a 2.5-4" driver to play without stress.
Previous staments that the V2 could play up to 3000hz without stress were just innacurate, 2khz to 2.5 kHz was the range, that sets it in the group of good 6.5" drivers. A tweeter that can play at 2khz without issues is best option to have a better stage.

If a 6.5" driver driver plays very high, it better be placed high enough to be able to hear the 3k-5khz range otherswise it may just be bouncing on the people's legs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts