• Na I like seeing the same questions every day

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only been a member on this form for a couple weeks now but I see the same question asked over and over and over, and I am also guilty of asking this question. Im sure for the long time members you must want to blow your brains out when you see this question 10x a day every day.

" What is better this or that" what amp is good for " this or that " etc..

So I was thinking that maybe a mod or someone should make a few threads like this.

SQ catagory.

What is the best subwoofer for SQ and then have the top 10 subs listed and a poll to vote which you think is the best with a sticky..

And then what is the best set of mids and same thing name top 10 brands and have a poll for people to vote,

and then Amp,

and then do the same for SPL..

Have a sticky on all of these in each catagory so as soon as a newb comes aboard they can see what the forum thinks of said brands ... and see how many people think so..

Not sure if anyone would do this but I think it would help cut down on the is so and so better than so and so..

Anyhow I think it would be great if ya did something like this maybe no one else does but ill put a poll for it or against it anyhow..

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
If only it were that easy.

Nice idea, but it won't really work. Way too many variables...
What size, on or off axis, sealed/ported/IB, location, bandwidth being covered/2way/3way,power range, budget, etc....

Then the mother of all variables.. how it sounds to you, beings sq is subjective. What sounds good to me, may not sound good to you. :D

·
18,604 Posts
Agreed.

Plus, the problem really boils down to the two type of people; one of which you're targeting.
1) Will search
2) Will not search

2 is the group this thread would focus on mimizing. The thing is, they won't take the time to search... or read a sticky.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Agreed.

Plus, the problem really boils down to the two type of people; one of which you're targeting.
1) Will search
2) Will not search

2 is the group this thread would focus on mimizing. The thing is, they won't take the time to search... or read a sticky.
^^^ spot on :).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find that the search feature on this site is some what lacking.

Doesn't help that I'm such a newb that I hardly know what to search for :D

·
Registered
339 Posts

The search sucks. And it's not just this forum's.

In regard to OP... it's a good idea if you can get enough votes from people who actually know what the hell they're talking about, but it's not like those polls could stay up for years. Equipment changes and whatever is the current forum boner would be the leading vote getter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Forum boner? That's f***king awesome! Literally laughing my ass off as I write this. Good way to put it, tho.
I am sure the questions get annoying, but I am sure the people asking those questions really appreciate the input of people with knowledge. Im sure it's easy to forget what it's like to know absolutely nothing and not have anyone to turn to. For example, I havent installed a system for 20+ yrs. I want to build 2 systems. There is one "stereo shop" within 100 miles and they dont have a soundboard, they dont install and the selection is better at wal mart. No exaggeration. To many of us, your opinions are crucial in helping us determine what to spend our hard earned money on. It's awesome these forums exist now. 20 years ago, the car audio market was only as good as the local shop down the street. So, on behalf of all of us noobies with dumb questions, thanks to everyone who has the patience and takes the time to address our questions. :D

·
Registered
840 Posts

Yeah, I think upgrading the search feature is the key. Boolean connectors, specific phrases and whatnot.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
You know if oyu don't find the search adequate, it's easy to use google instead.

site:diymobileaudio.com "search parameters"

Boom

·
Registered
840 Posts
You know if oyu don't find the search adequate, it's easy to use google instead.

Boom
Well, I guess I got straight up educated. :) Preciate ya.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also, just an FYI, Ive spent countless hours googling car audio tests and reviews from almost every brand imaginable. Its very difficult to locate reviews, especially now that car audio mag.com's articles arent able to be read online for free. And the reviews that can be easily seem to be very biased. For example I will never believe that Rockford, JL, Alpine & Kenwood make THE best amps on the market and the only components worth buying cost over $4k per set. Just sayin its hard to find good info.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreed. The google search is the way to do it. I tend to use the in site search more for searching by username.

I'm sure everyone is sick of seeing the threads, but they're going to be there regardless.

JMO of course.

·
Registered
339 Posts

Boom
Agreed. The google search is the way to do it. I tend to use the in site search more for searching by username.

I'm sure everyone is sick of seeing the threads, but they're going to be there regardless.

JMO of course.
I don't even bother using forum's searches anymore. I just google everything. It usually just redirects me here anyway.

The thing about getting advice on forums is that you really have to be careful whom you listen to. Post count isn't always the best indicator of knowledge level. Take eveything with a grain of salt, narrow it down and search and do your own research.

The main thing that frustrates me on this particular forum is that you can't get a straight answer from anyone. Lol. But, most of the time the ambiguous responses are warranted because listening tastes are so personal. Nobody can tell you what will sound good to you.

The other thing that frustrates me on here is that sometimes the guys will make people feel like if they don't get everyting exactly PERFECT that it will sound like unadultered ass. And that is just not true.

The silver lining in there though is that because it doesn't get spoon fed to people (like me), it makes you figure it out on your own. And that's the best and only way to really learn your gear, your car and your ears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts