DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, this is my design -

processor, is still in the air, i need to find one that has a knob for volume control. might be looking into something like a bit one.

this is the gear list ----

~ Helix C DSP Digital Sound Processor

~ ZED Audio Leviathan 6 channel amp 6x230 watts RMS

~ ZED Audio Minitour single channel 1000x1 watts RMS

~ Hybrid Audio L4SE

~ Hybrid Audio L1R2 Ring radiator tweeters

~ Hybrid Audio L8V1 9" woofers

~ FI IB318 (2x) 18" infinite Baffle sub's (500 watts to each)

Preassembled Black Double Din LCD Frame with 7" Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T-HB-RV HDMI DVI High Brightness

hard drive for the OS and software ---- their will also be a 1.5 TB media hard drive, I've yet to figure out how to power all of the perifials. might get tricky.
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX SH100S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-alone Drive)

motherboard, i went witht his one for it's size, and features, plus its just an exceptional system. what i didnt know when i ordered this, was it came with a media remote! a very nice one, with a mouse toggle on one side with volume and tracking, and a full keyboard on the other side, very slick, very well designed. 140$ for the features given is just extreme. very good system.
Newegg.com - ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

the CPU, well really its an APU, a GPU + CPU in one. it's a new thing AMD is working on, if you really wanna know more, the video explains allot on the page.
Newegg.com - AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6550D AD3850WNGXBOX

8gb DDR3 1866 dual channel ram, DIMM's not SO-DIMMS like the other version of the asus motherboard.
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Plug n Play Desktop Memory Model KHX1866C11D3P1K2/8G

slot style DVD rom (writes dvds too)
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 8X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD+R DL 8X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 24X CD-R 24X CD-RW Black SATA Model AD-7690H-01 - CD / DVD Burners

external sound card, not needed but why not :rolleyes:
Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card

power supply, I might be switching to this new 250 watt power supply that recently came out.
M2-ATX (160w) Intelligent DC-DC Car PC Power Supply

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
radio interface
Mp3Car BoomzBox HD Radio USB Controlled AM/FM Tuner

this is how i'll be attaching the DVD slot drive

the screen should fit right in, but im still considering fiberglassing the hole to make it larger so i can get a larger screen too, i'm not sure.

now, the questions. from what i'm understanding, i was planning on using optic, because its a great transport, BUT now i'm reading and hearing that all the sound processors on the market can't digest the volume control data off of optic lines, so i might be limited in the sound processor i use from this. if anybody has any ideas or knows anything, please don't be shy.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Started the build. I’m still don’t have the PSU. I’m picking up a 250 watt car PSU in the future when the build is closer and i have more funding. I will be adding a 2nd HD internally a 3 TB low wattage 5400 rpm SATA III HDD. so it's 6 gb\s and it's low wattage, so it should be about as fast as a 7800 rpm drive I'm hoping is the way it math’s out XD

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Powered up for first post.

It failed :p I forgot to plug in a keyboard. it's ok though it passed the rest of the post, CPU registered. ram registered. can't load windows onto the HD though :( i do have the widows drive, the SSD you can also see that registered. i need a converter to a mini sata power plug for my dvd rom :( we're looking good though it'll be here tomorrow.

By the By, I do offer my services. in both building of high high end gaming rigs to extreme budget gamer rigs. or if you would like me to put one together.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright some updates. i got the carputer loaded with widnows...shady key, i had the wrong one. working on getting a newer copy now lol just have to wait till i get to shcool monday to pick up a new key, i forgot to pick it up after class the other day because i lost my phone and was worried about that...never did find my phone though :( had ti get a new one.

anyways, got widnows up. gotsome software on, working on drivers for stuff. still dont have the right converter cable for the dvd rom, theones i ordered were sata micro not slimline sata so they didnt fit sigh. the 3 tb hard drive was dead on arival. never booted up in windows, working on getting that replced. i went with a baracuda, low rpm 5400 for low wattage but sata III so` it still retains the speeds i'll need, its just a media drive, the os boots off of the ssd. works very nicley, 15 second boot time. havnt finished setting up the software completley to boot with windows since i dont have a touch screen to use it with, it just has to be closed so i didnt set that up yet. anyways, enough rambling. heres some pictures.

at first i had it hooked up to my main monitor on my gaming setup. but than it hought hmm i do have a 42" high def tv lets try that. :p

so heres the tv

and as said tv hooked up :p im acualy making this post off this right now :) quite confy lol might have to build one of these just for a media center :p so i can rrelax after work rather than sit up in a chaitr :D

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Pretty cool build. I also went after a Llano, but I ordered the A6-3500. Its only tri-core with low clock 2.1Ghz (2.4 turbo) but comes in at 65W TDP. Its a carputer, I am not crunching numbers. I went after a Gigabyte board because they all use the ALC 889 audio codec instead of the 892. The 889, although an older codec, has better signal to noise. The board I bought also has a 6 jack header. I also went for a mATX board for more expansion slots.

That breakout board is pretty cool, what are the line voltages?

I will most likely use a line driver with the on board audio.

Did you figure out the plugs needed for the slim slot load? My understanding all the slot loads are only designed for notebooks now and therefor need power and sata adapters.

Standard power supply with inverter or DC-DC converter?

I am trying to keep costs down, so am I going to try to run Linux Mint, non-touch screen and my android phone as a touch interface.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
im not running the standard PSU with an inverter anymore. im gonna do a 250 watt 300 watt max power supply from mp3car.com i did math things out and i also tried a few automatic programs online to calculate my pulls. the cpu is 100 watt, the ssd is like 1 watt, 25 if running a cd, but i'll rarley use it. i'll also be running a second one externaly. it's gonna be a long sata run :( and a ***** to power but i have an idea. i only need a 12v which i already have and a 5 volt, which i can get out of a small power block from mp3.com and power the 5v lead. they will run from just the 5v but better with both i believe.

im a hardware guy and a very good one..but you just fliped my head for a min their. kudos lol what is this break board you speak of?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Coming together nicely! Just curious though what made you choose CF over the other front ends such as Ride Runner?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coming together nicely! Just curious though what made you choose CF over the other front ends such as Ride Runner?
i dont knjow much about these interfaces. but i do like this software, its not cheap either. i picked my initical license from another member who sold his rig to do something different i guess.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hate to say it (actually I don't care), but I really do think Windows 8 will go a long way into making front ends redundant. I am waiting for the public beta of 8 before I make any decisions. I just can't see spending $140? on separate software when one can license an entire OS for the same. Win 8 is less than a year from release.

I am messing with various Linux distros too. Although, none of them seem to be very happy with Llano systems right now. The hardcore Linux bobble heads have put the hate on the Unity interface in Ubuntu 11.10, but I am really starting to like it over Gnome, as Unity has multi-touch as a focus of design.

Just some things you might consider too before deciding on software. ;)

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hate to say it (actually I don't care), but I really do think Windows 8 will go a long way into making front ends redundant. I am waiting for the public beta of 8 before I make any decisions. I just can't see spending $140? on separate software when one can license an entire OS for the same. Win 8 is less than a year from release.

I am messing with various Linux distros too. Although none of them seem to be very happy with Llano systems right now. Although the hardcore Linux bobble heads have put the hate on the Unity interface in Ubuntu 11.10, I am really starting to like it over Gnome, as Unity has multi-touch as a focus of design.

Just some things you might consider too before deciding on software. ;)
heh, i got the centrafuse software for like 30-40$ i forget, I think we worked it into a deal and i get all OS"s for free as an IT student. and I'm fairly certain public 8 beta testing is out. and if you really want to talk redundant, windows 8 hasn't even hit the shelf and it just became obsolete with the new arcutexture that was just developed and is currently being tweaked for 3D processing, their' small, faster, lower power draw, and think on a whole new level we're not even familuar with when we thin about electronics, we think of solid state transistor’s doing on, of, on, off. but these new processors think in a 3rd level beyond on and off. it's going to change how software is developed completely. so theirs your insider scoop ;) but again, the cpu is ready, software is always behind, we still haven’t even caught up to quad cores and 8 core processing, we're barley utilizing dual core as we speak and our phones are utilizing them already. Imagine a phone with a 3.0ghz dual core processor, these are the kinds of leaps i'm talking about, but again, linux\unix are not written to utilize these new chips either. they'll probably end up tweaking it, or dropping the platform all together, all speculation of course here but if you want to talk about a waste of money, buy any computer in the next 5 year is a waste of money. this how ever has ran me roughly 700$ in computer parts, the screen i currently will be running ran me 150$ + 200$ sound card + 180$ software. so 1250$ for a complete transport system with a processor built in and my friend, my current deck is a 1200$ pioneer unit *not worth that anymore sadly* and i had planned on another 800$ processor, so where exact am wasting my money? :) just some food for thought.

if we wanted to be practical, we wouldn't be using digital because theirs always something new on the frontier, we'd be using all analog.
of course carputers haven't been exposed to the masses quite yet, we're allot further along than i had thought before i began this project :) I don't think we're to far off from the first car with windows\unix interface, in fact i'm sure google has some secrete R&D into some software for cars as we speak, as they'd be a perfect suiter for a software brand intergration into something like car, becuase a liviathan company like microsoft would cast to much of a shadow over a car brand and i don't think anybody would like that, google is like the UPS of the world, they are outspoken, we all know they're thier, but they almost vanish into the background with smart phones, even though they're leading the edge on all these smart phones, windows is finily catching up and apple. of course, with steve jobs gone who knows how their market branding will go, I don't honestly expect good things to come of what's transpired with his passing :( it's a real loss to the computer comunity to loose a mind like his, like loosing walt disney's mind. let's just see if apple cna pull off disney land with out steve jobs ;)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Agreed, that software is hideously behind the hardware on all fronts when it comes to x86 platforms in general. Several years behind. Sad really. I think this is in part due to legacy issues. Still a lot of people out there on XP that can't properly use the new hardware in any case. The there is the frenetic pace of the mobile market. Lots of focus on arm/risc developement.

In car PCs are the perfect way to cram an OS down somebodies throat, and make the masses unaware of the invasion into free choice. I agree we are not far from that reality. It would most likely be some variant of Android because everybody is so use to it from mobile devices, and it has yet to gain the ire that Microsoft and now Apple (rightfully in both cases imho) have. Android just flies under the radar and does not seem offensive to anybody other than MS execs and dyed in the wool Apple fanboys.

Anyway...

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed, that software is hideously behind the hardware on all fronts when it comes to x86 platforms in general. Several years behind. Sad really. I think this is in part due to legacy issues. Still a lot of people out there on XP that can't properly use the new hardware in any case. The there is the frenetic pace of the mobile market. Lots of focus on arm/risc developement.

In car PCs are the perfect way to cram an OS down somebodies throat, and make the masses unaware of the invasion into free choice. I agree we are not far from that reality. It would most likely be some variant of Android because everybody is so use to it from mobile devices, and it has yet to gain the ire that Microsoft and now Apple (rightfully in both cases imho) have. Android just flies under the radar and does not seem offensive to anybody other than MS execs and dyed in the wool Apple fanboys.

Anyway...
lol but do you really want google becoming another micro$oft :laugh: company holdings are still centralized so it's still a fairly friendly company, but if they manopalize the mobile market we're boned and destined for yet another unflexible OS that is 5 years behind hardware. but than agin we already are, we need to start over with our software. japan redid their whole system, why can't we. ahh this is just getting to close to home for me XD haha i should stop talking hahahaha

back on topic! i REALLY want to find this damn in dash system the XENARC MDT-X7000™, but i can't find one anywhere, i found one that sold for 200$ BNIB 2 months ago on mp3car.com! :'( breaks my heart. i want this damn unit, it's PERFECT for my application and i'll be able to use my old custom single dash bezel i got 2 years ago :D granted, the lettering is above the dinn so when the screen is out it'll be covered, i could order another one with the lettering below though :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
I REALLY want to find this damn in dash system the XENARC MDT-X7000™, but i can't find one anywhere, i found one that sold for 200$ BNIB 2 months ago on mp3car.com! :'( breaks my heart. i want this damn unit, it's PERFECT for my application and i'll be able to use my old custom single dash bezel i got 2 years ago :D granted, the lettering is above the dinn so when the screen is out it'll be covered, i could order another one with the lettering below though :D
To bad you weren't looking for one a year ago

I gave it to a friend that wanted to do a P.C. when I was tearing my last car apart.
didn't mean to break your heart again!
The was great Xenarc quality and very responsive, but if you want to use the DVD drive, volume knob or track buttons be prepared for frustration. Screen was great everything else is just clunky.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To bad you weren't looking for one a year ago

I gave it to a friend that wanted to do a P.C. when I was tearing my last car apart.
didn't mean to break your heart again!
The was great Xenarc quality and very responsive, but if you want to use the DVD drive, volume knob or track buttons be prepared for frustration. Screen was great everything else is just clunky.
could of been problamatic because you were using xp perhaps ? how does it interface for the volume and dvd? sata and usb?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just got the screen today, i did a little unboxing reveiw. working on setting it up now for some testing. sadly i dont have a proper DVI to VGA converter, i have one for my gaming rig i run my aux screen on, but its an older style with extra grounding prongs i guess, some reason this new board doesn't have those pin holes, so the adapter does not appear to fit i'll be testing it on my gamming rig though :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBczxKxYZD4]xenarc 700idt unboxing review - YouTube

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i'll be a son of a *****...it's dead :(

1 - 20 of 53 Posts