DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched from Hertz ESK drivers to 6.5" Silver Flutes from Madisound, and wow what a difference.

They go much lower, so I cross at 65 Hz now, which really reduces some of the sub localization.

Piano and sax are so much smoother than with the Hertz drivers. Really nice. For $70 a pair shipped I'm overjoyed with these.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
glad to hear you like them. how is the midbass punch?

·
5,225 Posts
From reading some wise peoples posts, it seems a lot of the punch comes from the time alignment/crossover between subs and mids. So if they go low I would assume they can be made to have punch. And with 5mm xmax I see why he says they play low.

Link to them for ease of research: The Madisound Speaker Store

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They have a much harder punch then my Hertz ESK's did. The door panel, side mirror, and floor are all shaking more then before with each bass drum hit, but I'm also crossing them at 65 Hz instead of the 75 that the Hertz units struggled with.

I just beat on them for 4 hours straight and am even more impressed. I stumbled into a track on a Chemical Brothers disc that was a low sine sweep drop that was really amazing on these Flutes.

I'll be modding to door panel soon to cut out the lame factory plastic grill and then I'll post some more on the results. I suppose I can run some near field sweeps on them with a flat eq so you can see what their curve starts out like in a typical door install.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm using the 8" versions in my build (see '00 Neon Dash Build in the build log section) and just had a chance to hear them today and I'm blown away! I had them mounted IB in the doors before and they weren't all that great, but this is much better. Pic below for setup; they're in about .5 ft^3 sealed running 200hz and down (yes, all the way down) for now, I haven't done any tuning beyond basic levels and crossover settings.

I only have one powered for now but can feel a distinct "snap" in the top of my chest and neck on stuff like Jamiroquai. Glad you're enjoying yours as well!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard that the 5" versions are impressive as well.

I remembered the Chemical Brothers track - it's "Under The Influence". Give it a whirl, but test the waters at 1/3 volume first. I had to make a quick grab for the volume control as it comes out of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
can't wait till i get my dual 6.5s in my doors.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a set of the 6.5"s over the holidays with some seas tweets. I've been running them with some old eclipse passive xovers and a Niles si-275 in some small enclosures on my workbench. They sound fantastic and have some pretty awesome kick to them.
I've been assembling components to run these active, undecided if they will go in the doors or some kickpanels.
You can't go wrong for 30$ each..

S

·
0 Posts
These Silver Flute speakers are very nice sounding drivers.... I think the wool cone is a strong reason.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know some people don't entirely beleive the freq response curve for these that's posted on the Madisound site, so I did a quick near field measurement today with one of the Flutes installed in my drivers door.

Absolutely amazing results. The black line is the data posted by Madisound, and the green line is my test. I never expected them to be this close, especially in a car door install.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I know some people don't entirely beleive the freq response curve for these that's posted on the Madisound site, so I did a quick near field measurement today with one of the Flutes installed in my drivers door.

Absolutely amazing results. The black line is the data posted by Madisound, and the green line is my test. I never expected them to be this close, especially in a car door install.
Thanks! That looks really good. There's lots of talk about these drivers but not a lot of technical data.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
All this sounds almost too good to be true.

How is the midrange clarity? The speakers qts suggests it's optimized for ported enclosure. I wonder if that impacts the sound in door in any way. Was frequency response measured on axis?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
All this sounds almost too good to be true.

How is the midrange clarity? The speakers qts suggests it's optimized for ported enclosure. I wonder if that impacts the sound in door in any way. Was frequency response measured on axis?
I know the 8" (W20RC38) version has a listed QTC of .23, but I've seen it measured at about .4

·
Registered
806 Posts
Nice review, glad you found success. I had these for a while and they were very muddy with a lack of midrange clarity.
Not bad for 30 bucks but easily beaten by other (granted more expensive) components and DIY drivers.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I look at the Flutes as a budget solution, and I'd expect that they sound like one when compared to higher end drivers.

They have much cleaner midrange than my Hertz drivers did. The Hertz units tended to make vocals and sax sound slightly “canned”, and were bloated in the 200 Hz area so they got pretty muddy, plus they didn't reach low enough so I had to use my sub more than I wanted to.

Now here’s a real novelty. In the graph below you can compare the installed characteristic of the Hertz (orange) and the Flutes (blue), taken from the left side driver measured at my left ear. Dyns or HATs wouldn't look much different in my car, so I'd have a hard time throwing much $$ at drivers when they are all going to end up sounding like this:

That, and I'm cheap :D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think I going to try these. I have the large Vifa XT25's that were the rage in the hot deals about a year ago. Ive been sitting on a set of biamp Mb quart passive xovers that are 18db slopes at 2500hz. If I can get the tweet more on axis with a cup of some sort, I think the Silver Flutes might make a killer cheap set.

In a treated door, do you think I would have any issues getting them down to about 70hz? In my case they will basically be IB in the door with dynamat. 70 is basically the max I think my 18w6 will allow.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
i have mine set at 63 with a 36 db slope right now and they are handling it fine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got mine crossed at 65 Hz with a 24 db slope and they seem to be plenty happy. I'm putting about 75 rms to them though, active.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts