DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Got mine yesterday, nicely packed. Am thinking of doing a 3 way with these as i bought some 5.25" (600 -8khz) and couple if pairs of small 1" tweeters (made in France, 6khz-20khz), the silver flutes will be 60hz -2khz, i just haven't figured out the slopes and if i want to go active or passive . Any recommendations, i can use all the help i can get.

- Silver Flute W17RC38-08 6-1/2" Wool Cone
w17rc38-08

- Aurasound NS525-255-8A 5.25" Paper Cone 8 Ohm
ns525-255-8a

- Audax TM010A1 Neodymium Car Tweeter 4 Ohm (will wire them series to create a 8 Ohm load

This was a all under 100 bucks, without passive crossovers (that's why i might go active.)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was going to use a set of CDT EX30 passives for my Silver Flute 3way. All silver flute woofers 6.5 and 5.25 for the mid plus maybe the Vifa ring rad tweeter. I think the xover points for the passive is 250 and 5k.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If the graph on post #10 is what to expect from the silver flutes, then would the 5.25" be even needed, just hope they blends well at 6khz.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I stumbled across this today - it looks like the SIlver Flute 6.5" woofer was used in the the original Gemme Tanto speaker set. They retailed at $5,500 a pair and were evidently worth every penny.

Gemme Audio Tanto Review

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
They said it was an XT19. I like those Decware's - that looks like something I could build.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I took mine out of the car (selling it) now I want to make some home speakers with them. Anyone know of any good plans? I also have the xt25 to use with them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
If you could research how to copy that original Gemme Tanto design I'd be right with you. It's some sort of horn / transmission line hybrid that'll run the Flute's to 20 hz.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I found some T/S parameters on the P/E website that a guy had measured. Here's what he found:

Drive Unit Parameters
Silver Flute W17RC38S-4
Fs 50.56 Hz
Re 3.81 Ohm
Qms 2.08
Qes 0.55
Sd 132.0 cm2
Vas 15.1 l
Xmax peak 5.00 mm
Le 0.41 mH
Le2 0.00 mH
Re2 0.00 Ohm
Nominal Power 20.0 W

·
Registered
182 Posts
I finished up deadening and sealing my doors this evening. With minimal time to tune/listen i was pretty impressed with the lower end on these. For now they are crossed at 63 and 3.2k 24db slope.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah deadening is crucial with these as with any install....I had a pair running in my old van install over 5 years ago

·
Banned
63 Posts
Im curious about trying these drivers and going active
What crossover points are recommended? Also anyone running these in 3way setups?
Or just active 2way which tweeters work well with these?

Currently running alpine spx series

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
anyone have any input on tweeters ? or least crossover points?
Which size? My 8"s are crossed from 50-180 with L-R 24db/oct filters on both sides. With limited gain they can go down lower, but I like it a tad on the loud side...and they are also in small sealed enclosures (.4 ft^3 per driver).

The naturally start to roll off around 1khz on the high end, and do so at a pretty shallow rate, around 6db/oct. My install is very different though, so any high-frequency measurements won't be applicable to a typical door install.

I would generally not recommend using just a tweet with the 8"s, but a small widebander would work very well.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Am waiting for my damping material to arrive so I can install them, I have the 6.5". I bought four Audax TM010A1, so hopefully I can use two for each side but looks like they need to be crossed at 6khz. The Flutes should play up to 5khz, so am hoping that will be enough.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Could the 8 be crossed over closer to 325hz? I have Trinity drivers to use
Just want more low end than my Ebony driver can handle
I would feel very comfortable doing that. I've seen them paired with just a tweet in at least one design, but that's in a home application where you have much more control over the response.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
This driver seems to be very interesting. I'm looking for new drivers for midbass duty in AP or Sealed enclosures to fit inside a door. Perhaps 0,3ft³ maximum enclosure volume, when I model them they seem to work fine. Impedance phase seems to be nice and smooth, almost as good as Dayton Rs180, they should be easy for the amp to drive.

Mojo, how's your impression of the lows with these drivers now when you've used them for a while? ;)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I still really like them. I also still can't beleive you can get this much for $30 per driver.

At this point I'm running 2-way and crossing at 2500 at the top and 65 hz at the bottom. This brought the stage down a bit from the 3750 x-over I had before, but gave me a little better imaging as I have the Flutes in the doors.

And they will pound when you want them to. Mt Eden has four remix versions of Sierra Leone available thru Amazon now, and the 4th track (which is more of a house mix) hits clean and hard over and over and the Flutes love it. I love it.

I am considering adding a midrange in the kick for a 3-way system, in order to allow crossovers that occur before beaming. Got my eye on the Aura Whisper at this point.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts