Discussion Starter #2
primed

checking fit, then wrap em up

done

I still don't own a press.....

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You do have a press... it is the same exact one I own... it is pretty affordable and low tech but time consuming...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Beautiful work sir...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An educated guess says that is what, .050 or .063 thick metal? How much space/gap do you use on your press templates?
You don't have to gap it.

You'll notice the 'male' and 'female' of the jig are up against the metal, so you just push it out as far as it will go. and even 1/4" down, in this case.

If you were to make a steel jig it would last forever, but you have to round over the edges keep the bends clean. Wood has just enough give to it that it works out. With a hammer you have to be careful you don't split the jig up too much :laugh:

I'm not positive, but .063 sounds right. I know it's by far the thickest grill metal I've seen. Al, not Steel.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
thanks man. How's your build coming along?
well my current build ( 97 civic) is in a functional but not yet "pretty" stage. door pods are done. the box and amp rack are built. the dash pods are not going to be built till the spring as i hate glassing in the snow and cold..... (lol that must sound funny as you are in AK)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apologies for reviving old threads, but D_MN that is SWEET!!

I'd love to have those kicks/door panels in my 1997! problem is I've never Glassed...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts