DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to build a audio system for my stock 2000 Chevy ext cab Silverado.
I want to build a great sounding system somewhat loud and more SQ style. (not boom boom tweet tweet). 90% + of the music played will be heavy progressive intricate death metal, so I don’t want to miss any guitar arpeggios, bass guitar scales, or drummer blast beats detail.

With that said I want to keep the stock head unit, that is a an absolute must (stealth is very important)

So, after deadning everywhere.

What processor should I use?
Im most likely going to use a Alpine PXE-H660
Also considering Audison bit one… but don’t know if I can afford that one.
Or what ever else would work really well with FACTORY HU.

Door components considering
#1 AVI 6.5 componets (I really want to know what you think about these)
#2 Pioneer TS-C720PRS
#3 Focal 165V2 Polyglass
#4 what ever pounds out great mid bass and great sound

Rear panel drivers
Do I need them?

Sub (single in a small sealed box)
#1 AVI GX 300 12”
#2 Hi-Vi SP10 10”

THE AMPS I ALREADY HAVE
Sub amp is Alpine MRD 1000, and amp for mids and highs is Cadence ZRS (I think) 75w X4 channels @4ohms, (I am considering better amp for mids and highs)

I also want to use iPod .

I greatly appreciate everyone’s input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why has no one replied to my post?

I seriously want peoples input and feed back and opinions.

This project hasn't started yet. I am asking for help form any of you, whom by the way have far more experience than me.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Used the H650 with my brothers factory head unit in his Chevy standard cab.

Sounds incredible. Love the auto tune. Nothing against the Bit 1 though. Just the auto tune feature is nice on the H660.

I would suggest porting the enclosure. Not familiar with either sub. I know the sealed enclosure is easier and most likely smaller but, with a properly designed ported enclosure, I think with your music type, it will really pound out the kick drum/bass guitar. But that being said, the sealed will work, and be smaller.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Skip the rear panel drivers. Are you looking at 2 ways mounted in the doors? I can't comment on the particular driver sets you mentioned but the opinions around here have been very good on the Pioneer's and Focals. I listen to very similar music as you. I still haven't found a perfect solution for the bottom end. I use 2 Dayton HO 10s in a small sealed enclosure under the back seat. I have also tried IB and ported. I think sealed is my favorite so far.

·
Registered
182 Posts
BTW-How are you implementing the Ipod? Does your factory unit support it?
I would strongly recommend an Alpine HU if not and reconsider your processor choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the iPod it all depends on the processor I choose (which I haven't chosen yet).

with the Alpine h660 you need any standard iPod interface that works with the factory head unit.

the iPod will hook up to the bit one directly

same with the jbl MS-8. the iPod will hook up directly to the processor.

at least thats what I have read with these processors in the research I have done.

the jbl MS-8 seems to have the most powerful programability. and versatility.
the problem is I don't know when it will ever be available
And stupid jbl doesn't even have any info on their website.
there website is absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am thinking of getting a different amp for the mids/highs

when using a digital processor and only 2 way components in doors/pilers
and one sub and thats it.

The question is, should I run driver+tweeter with passive xover
or
run drivers and tweeters each on their own channel. and if so, should I use one 4 channel amp. or 2 separate 2 channel amps?
and if I use 2 separate 2 channel amps, then should the drivers and the tweeters receive all equal wattage?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use a custom made center console sub in my silverado. I have an older version I am looking to get rid of. It was made for a 10". It could be modified for a 12" I think. If you would like to PM me I may have some tips for you and some other wares I am trying not to peddle in this thread. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts