DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
i loved the spectrum i bought. works well, its easy... and contrary to what everyone else is saying mine dried pretty damn fast, just work outside on a hot day. i would paint one door, go to the other and i could jump right back to the other as it was pretty dry by then.

·
Registered
428 Posts
yes, my spectrum dried fairly quickly too..faster then eD liquid crap! even if their newer products look better, i will never buy another product from them again. :x

anyways..

just added egg crate foam behind my mids!

cut to shape and cut small so they can fit through the door holes easily, then coated with A1 Fabric Shield and let to dry inside the car on a sunny day. When coating the edges, i overlapped to pieces so that i didnt waste any overspraying..

installed!

life of a speaker..

i also added 2 more square feet of Second Skin Damplifier (reg) to the outer panel of each door (near the locking mechanism) - i thought i might as well because i had the panel off...

Before: 1 to 2 layers of Damplifier Pro on outer panel, 1 layer on inner panel (door holes not pluged yet - need to get more dampener).

After: 1 sheet of egg crate foam on top of 2 layers of Damplifier reg/Pro on outer panel, and 1 layer on inner panel (door holes not pluged yet).

Subjective: Im not really sure if it was the extra 2 sq ft of dampener on the opposite side of the door from the speaker but i feel it made a pretty impressionable difference! The door sound much closer to NpDangs car with the mids sounding like theyre in a small monitor enclosure and less like theyre in a door! Bass, midbass and midrange sound more defined, cleaner and puchier. the change in overall sound also effected the staging/imaging. Staging and imaging raised and also were more defined.

I also tried opening the windows with the glass directly behind the woofer. its seemed to revert back to when i didnt have egg crate foam inside. midbass got a little harsh and uncontrolled.. so then i tried it with the windows half way down, leaving the glass clear of the back of the woofer and it still sounded good! i thought, maybe the difference in how much the window was open affected the sound so i opend the back windows to compensate but it still sounded good!

so in the end, i feel it made worthwhile difference! :)

heres my midbasses in case anyone hasnt seen it yet..

Goodtimes!

·
Registered
428 Posts
i got it from A1 Foam & Fabrics since theyre kinda local.. but maybe you can find something online..? (i couldnt find A1 online)

·
Registered
694 Posts
does the thickness of the foam matter? i have several sheets of 3/4" and 2" foam. not sure which to use. :? and would any spray sealer work? as long as the foam stays soft?

·
Registered
428 Posts
i would think any sealer would work as long as it stays soft..

id say use what you can fit.

·
DIY pimp
1 Posts
npdang: this is great because I have a 5th gen accord like yours. Where did you put your tweeters in your install?
also, you had plenty of clearance even with a .75" spacer? I made mine last night and wasn't sure if it would have enough clearance. Any other tips on the accord?

raam: emailed you before I saw your post about some ensolite, looks like you might get that $$ back.

·
Registered
989 Posts
jdrockafella said:
npdang: this is great because I have a 5th gen accord like yours. Where did you put your tweeters in your install?
also, you had plenty of clearance even with a .75" spacer? I made mine last night and wasn't sure if it would have enough clearance. Any other tips on the accord?

raam: emailed you before I saw your post about some ensolite, looks like you might get that $$ back.
Refer to this thread.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

·
Shitty D.I.Y. installer
73 Posts
Great info here...thanks.

My doors are already deadened, but I'm trying to isolate and kill leftover rattles before putting in my Seas speakers and ribbons, so a few more questions.

First off, I have plenty more raamat and some ensolite on the way, so if more deadening is the answer, that won't be a prob (once it gets here). I've also ordered deflex pads.

First off, even though I'm here to ask a question, I wanted to point out that this stuff worked for me well as a final layer http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc/searchResults.jsp&[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccehaddekifmdelcgelceffdfgidgln.0&MID=9876 Maybe someone else may want to try it and get back to us.

After a few layers of the liquid stuff, a few layers of raamat, and a layer of this duct insulation, I still have some "locatable" rattles as well as the sound of pressure inside my door when bass hits....not as much a rattle as a overarching thug in there when bass hits.

First off, the grease didn't work for the door latch part. Any other recommendations? Theres definately some noise coming from this area.

Second....has anyone tried drilling a few small holes in the door to reduce that pressure. I'm talking about holes towards the not where the air will go back into the cabin, but outside. I was thinking about this on the edge of the door towards the back of the car...seems like theres plenty of possible "ventelation spots" that wouldn't let air in the cabin area or water in the door.
I feel like the less sealed the door is (and thus the more exposed it is to the outside world), the less of that thud that will occurr. Anyone tried this?

Finally, what is the ensolite for? Is this going to make the doorpanel (when I lean on it) seem deader, like it's not vibrating inside?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ensolite is an acoustical sound barrier, makes things quieter on the inside from the outside, things like road noises and road rumble. Also Makes things quieter on the outside like music and all to pedestrians and whatnot.

Not sure of the exact amount of db drop though of before and after of road noises.

·
Registered
434 Posts
great site.

hey vin, how is it when you roll down your windows? does it rub against the foam? umm..wanna deaden some bimmer doors? ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
low said:
great site.

hey vin, how is it when you roll down your windows? does it rub against the foam? umm..wanna deaden some bimmer doors? ;)
i just trimed the top so it doesnt touch the window anymore..

sure, i dont mind at all..! its not like the G35 doors where theres only a speaker hole is it..? :shock:

the only problem is that after you coat the foam with fabric protectent its suppose to dry before you apply it..

you can order the foam from www.partsexpress.com then i could pick up the A1 Fabric Shield and A1 Adhesive (i ran all out). then when you come up we could try to do it all in one day.....?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
dude your doors are REAALY long LOL

man I need to hear these seas mids everyone keeps raving about

nice pics :)

here are my doors wiht some bquiet ultimate (last year stuff) wish bxt raamat was out when I did my doors since its soo muh thicker and I could have used less oh well next car :)

and there is mat under the orignal jute carpet (I just removed it--added mat--then glued it back on--thought it couldnt hurt)

and with my old IR8's (that I really miss )

on my new install I used foam between the metal and the wood much better !!

still havent tried deflex pads yet

next time I go in my door

·
Registered
287 Posts
simplespirit said:
I see a lot of people deaden the inside walls of the outer door skin. How do you get your hands in there to properly cover the skin?
you hire some midgets so crawl in there

or

you just cut your mat into little pieces and do it little by little

·
Seen Rock City
732 Posts
10K2HVN said:
...its not like the G35 doors where theres only a speaker hole is it..? :shock:
HEY!!! I resemble that remark! Actually, I was thinking the same thing when I took the panels off my G for the first time... How in the hell am I going to deaden the outer skin????

*sigh*

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow a G35 owner :) I really like the looks of that car, did you get the coupe? Anyway, Could I see a picture of your doors? I'm not sure I can imagine what "just a speaker hole" means.

Can you install Pearless 8" in it? (4" mounting depth)

David

·
Seen Rock City
732 Posts
Dave,

I'll post some pics when I take the door panel off again. I have a sedan. I know, much more sedate than the coupe. But I just love the "sedan-ness" of it. EMBRACE THE SEDAN.

Plus, the 300 ponies mated to the 6MT ain't so bad!

The mounting depth is 3 13/16"

At least according to the math I did in this post:
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55764

21 - 40 of 334 Posts