DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was adjusting my gains on my amp yesterday and I noticed they're 3/4 up and I'd like to turn them up a bit more because the head unit is maxed out and I want a tad bit more volume.

My amp has a switch that says "100mV to 2V / 2V to 8V". It's currently set on the 2V to 8V which where it should be. I'm running the Alpine H701 into this amp and I just looked up the specs and it's got a 4V output.

S/N ratio: 100 dB (IHF-A)
Channel separation: 80 dB
Input sensitivity: 850 mV (2V for analog 1 only)
Subwoofer crossover: 20 to 200 Hz (1/6 oct. steps)
Rated output: 4V (with 10 k ohms load)
Input impedance: 10 k ohms or greater
Output impedance: 1 k ohm or less

My question is, do I max out my gains or is it safe to switch the switch to the 100mV to 2V setting? I'm using the AiNet cable to send the audio from my Alpine 9886 to the H701 so I don't have volume control on my C701 anymore, it's controlled by the head unit.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention I did flip the switch for a second and it made a huge difference in output.

Let me put the question this way. Is it a better idea to flip the switch and run much lower gains or not flip the switch and have your gains maxed out?

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is what I'll do then. Just got a temp sealed box for my IDQ10 and I'm going to use it for the first time.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It's like a gear shift, basically the switch ins inserting a pad, when in HV mode, I prefer to have everything un-=padded unless it absolutely needs to be, keeps the whoopisies way down.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I doubt it would matter much, but if you switch and run the HU lower you will have less power on the RCA and more possibility of noise. But it sounds like the gain down at <2v and gain up at >2v should be about the same. (assuming you are running max clean HU output now at ~2v) You could try it both ways just to see, I would, but thinking you will not hear a difference. The gain pot/etc should not affect the sound no matter where you need to run it. What matters more is you run more power out of the HU to the amp, even that I don't think is that important in many installs. I've run 2v HU until 2yr ago and rarely had a problem, and if you measure 4-6v HU you only get that at max volume if you even get that. It is kind of bs marketing more than anything a 2v HU can run things just fine, an old 1v Pioneer on the other hand was a pita.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I just went out there and hooked up my sub and did a bit of tuning. Switched it over to 100mV-2V and now I have to have the gain all the way down or it's way too loud. I don't think I'll be turning my head unit to the max anymore. Instead of listening at 34 I'll probably listen to it at 28 or something.

I think I suck at tuning. Every time I tune my system there's this high pitch frequency that pierces my ears and I can never get rid of it. I don't think it bothers anyone else but me because no one has complained about it. And if I'm not paying attention I won't always notice it but once I do it's hard to ignore it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts