DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 3 grueling weeks building the Acura TL, it was a nice change of pace to do a very very simple SQ build in a Toyota Tacoma. On top of that, the customer, a fellow DIYMA member, helped me for two days doing some of the wiring and HU related work. So thanks David! :)

the gaols:

1. Achieve a high degree of SQ within a limited budget (he will be going to a few comps here and there)

2. Install the gear in a manner that is stealthy, durable and take up little usable space

3. utlize the existing equipment the customer already had on hand (HU, Sub, Stealthbox, one of the amps)

So here goes.

The signal starts with a Pioneer Premier 800PRS headunit the customer provided, along wtih the ipod adapter, it is installed in the stock location. the cracked stock bezel was from a previous theft attempt.

the processing for the system is via a Zapco DSP6, and the USB tuning cable comes out of the glovebox for front seat tuning via laptop:

front stage is a set of Seas Lotus Reference 6.5" component set. the tweeters were molded into the A pillars, firing on axis with the opposite listener. I did on axis becuase i have realized from past experience, that trucks, seem to benefit from on axis a bit more, perhaps from the more upright windshield and the seating position.

after discussing it with the customer, we did the pillars in premium grade grille cloth, it puts less strain on the glue than vinyl and more durable than texture coat :) being the interior is black and grey anyway.

quick pics of the pillar process:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
rings aimed and attached, mold cloth pulled, resin applied, and duraglass resin mix poured into the inside walls for reinforcement:

sanded smooth and blended in:

covered:

and termination of the tweeter:

the midbass are housed in fiberglass kick panels, again aimed on axis at opposite listener. carpted was used for its durabiltiy as this is a semi-work truck afterall

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
build up pics of the kicks:

the mold taken, allowed to dry over night, vent hole cut, and covered in sound proofing:

ring baffles aimed and attached:

mold cloth pulled, resin applied, and reinforced form the inside:

as usual, a layer of modeling clay and then another layer of sound proofing went over it, on the inside of hte kick, making for a very solid and "dead" kick enclosure. here the left one has the clay, and the right one is done with both clay and soundproofing:

the kicks trimmed in carpet:

speake termination of the midbass:

midbass attached to the baffle:

finally, grille secured and the baffle secured to the stock kick panel:

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wires were run to the back, ziped every 6":

the DSP6 is under the passenger seat, secured to a MDF board under the carpet.

here is the JL stealth box the customer provided, he loaded it with a 10" dayton subwoofer:

termination of the sub and subbox

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the amp rack is built to blend into the interior, and be almost invisible in normal view. while not hindering the ability to carry backseat passengers, (though its hard to imagine anyone squeezing back there for any long periods of time to being with hehe)

here are the two racks with the cover panel on:

lift the front cover off, and you see two Arc audio KX amps, he provided a 300.4 whcih sends 90 watts to each tweeter, and 350 watts to the sub, while i got him a 300.2 whcih sends 180 wats to each midbass.

again, very simple and straight forward.

and two quick pics of the suppporing struction behind the front panel:

despite very little tuning time on it, this truck sounds pretty good. the stage is suprisingly high with not too much rainbowing commonly found on trucks with kick panel mid, and decently centered. tonality is pretty good as well. i think with some more tuning, it will get better for sure. hopefully he can get a little tuning done on sat at santa rosa :)

well, now its time to relax and rest my sore back, with David's help, i got this truck done in pretty much 3 days :) leaving me two days to rest :D

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
depends, the ones that are molded to the stock panel, attaches of course, like the stock panels. the quicker cheaper ones that are attached to the stock panel, is secured to the stock piece, andt hen a piec eof HD double sided tape prevents laternal motion on the bottom side. so its very secure.

b

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like this setup a lot because of it's simplicity. Great job once again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've got to thank Bing again for his great work on my truck. I've been waiting to do this system for much too long, and I'm really happy now that it's finally done.

The results are great so far, and I'm looking forward to spending some time really dialing it in.

From the moment I brought Bing into the process, he was really helpful, honest, friendly, and professional. I especially appreciate his patience as we nailed down the final design details to make sure we really got it right, and his willingness to let me participate in the install. He is an exceptional installer and a great guy, and I recommend him without hesitation!

Cheers,

David

·
Vendor
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pleasure working with you David as well. we will get you to one of these comps and see how you do :)

working on your truck brings me back to my first vehicle, a toyota truck, man i want one again...:D

·
Registered
566 Posts
What did you use for the blue portion on the rings? Also I am doing a very similar install, less the subwoofer. What size is that midbass? The truck I am doing is a manual trans, and I don't know if I can build a kick panel as large as that one.
low heat plastic

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I can barely believe I'm the first to ask this, but why add the DSP-6 when the 800PRS has built-in processing? For a 3-way setup the 800 has more than adequate adjustability, doesn't require a laptop, and it would have all been done prior to conversion to analog if used that way.

Other than that, clean install as usual. I like where you mounted the amps and how they're covered yet still showable.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts