DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i recently got a new pioneer DEH-6300 head unit and its got a 5-band graphic EQ with 100hz, 315hz, 1.25khz, 3.15khz, and 8khz all with -6/+6 adjustments. It has a HPF that goes from 50hz, 63hz, 80hz, 100hz, and 125hz. It also has a LPF that has the same freq. as the HPF except these are adjustable from -24/+6. I am running 4 speakers and 2 12" subwoofers in a single cab truck.

So basically what i want to ask you guys is what are the differences/pourposes of white noise, pink noise, sine wave and all the other stuff. Which ones would be important to me for a basic system tune? I dont want to get super indepth with it, i just want to tune my system a little bit. I only listen to hip-hop/rap so thats what im going to be tuning my system for. So if anyone could give me any tips on what kind of "noise" i want to use and when i use it what do i do with it? lol.. sorry im fairly new to car audio and this is basically my first system.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
you don't need any of it...

set your crossovers to ~80z HP and LP and call it a day...

white noise is typically full spectrum with non-compensated levels...

Pink noise is full spectrum white noise, that all levels have been leveled equal in output.. (used for tuning with an RTA)

Sine waves are singular frequencies waveforms and can be DLed at the top of the forum (along with a bunch of other things)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i guess your right.. my system sounds great (subs havnt even fully broke in yet). the only thing this is probably gonna do is give me a headach.

Another question, when would it be a safe bet to say my subs are fully broken in? I have 2 12" Alpine SWE. Running them off a JL JX500/1 at 250 watts each. I have had them for about a week with anywhere from 5-7 hours of play time (played low-moderate most of the time, i have cranked it on a few occassions).

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
People that do it regularly (or have) can listen to pink noise and tell if a frequency has a problem. I prefer to use tones and sweeps since I don't do it that often. You can just play them at a normal (not loud) volume and listen to how loud they are. If one is loud or quiet, you know you have a peak/hole in the response. 15 min (or maybe a lot more lol) with those will get you in the ball park, of course after doing that you still may want to change it to the sound you like, that really only hits the problem areas. Also depends on your EQ power the larger the EQ the more picky you can get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys, but honestly, im not even gonna go down that path.. alls i see coming from this is a headach and feeling unsatisfied after 3 hours of pointless tuning that would probably put me right back where i started. Much respect for you guys who can do this by ear and get positive results. Im just not experienced enough in that area.. thanks tho guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts