DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the option of a single 10" D4 or a pair of 8" D2 subs with the same 300W mono either way, why would you go one way or the other? The pair of 8s has about 30% more cone area and 2mm less Xmax but 4 coils running off that 300W. Image Dynamics ID are the specific subs in question. Would your answer change if we were talking about Alpine Type R?

EDIT - only considering sealed enclosure due to space.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
100% i would do a pair of ID8's in a ported box.

Reactions: LBaudio

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should have mentioned - sealed enclosure. No interest in ported. I simply don't have the space available. I can do .6 or 2X .3.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Should have mentioned - sealed enclosure. No interest in ported. I simply don't have the space available. I can do .6 or 2X .3.
Thats barely enough room for a single ID10 and not enough room for 2 ID8's.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats barely enough room for a single ID10 and not enough room for 2 ID8's.
It's in the middle of the range ID specs for each size, though that isn't my question. Assume a slightly larger sealed enclosure if you prefer - 2X 8s or a single 10, all drivers dual coils with a total of 300W mono.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
It's in the middle of the range ID specs for each size, though that isn't my question. Assume a slightly larger sealed enclosure if you prefer - 2X 8s or a single 10, all drivers dual coils with a total of 300W mono.
2 ID8's would be .5 to .9 so .6 is not the middle. ID10 is .4 to .85 and most people agree that the ID10 needs all of the .85 so again technically for that you are closer to the middle. But again i think you are too small. But thats not your question. The answer is 2 ID8's and give them each .45 gross. .4 minimum.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm likely going to have an irregular shaped asymmetrical enclosure to maximize available space so getting two equal chambers will be about impossible.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I'm likely going to have an irregular shaped asymmetrical enclosure to maximize available space so getting two equal chambers will be about impossible.
with 8" woofers i wouldn't chamber the box as that would defeat having them share the air space.

·
Registered
198 Posts
IMO no.. but we'll wait for @miniSQ to pipe in and tell me I don't know anything.
If one woofer blows or has a loose connection it will act as a passive radiator and possibly damage the other. That's about it as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
Would isobaric do anything useful?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
If one woofer blows or has a loose connection it will act as a passive radiator and possibly damage the other. That's about it as far as I know.

I disagree with that.. but even if that were true, what difference would a chambered box make?

·
Premium Member
6,092 Posts
common airspace is fine. If you toast one woofer the other is probably on its way out as well.
Or one ends u with a PR, which is where they should have started anyhow.:cool:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I disagree with that.. but even if that were true, what difference would a chambered box make?
A chambered box would allow the sub that didn't blow to remain in its isolated proper airspace. Its perfect in theory to say that separate boxes are the best practice. But the reality is that not a lot of subs blow because a second sub sharing its airspace blew.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
He didn't.

Did not @Holmz suggest that if one ends up toast, he would end up with a PR which is where he should've started?

Or maybe I just misunderstood his post.

But typically wouldn't you want the PR sharing the same box space? I've never used a PR before so that is a sincere question..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts