DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Single amp systems?

Still new and I'm trying to find out the best setup in a 2003 4runner while keeping it a functional SUV.
I know, i know but I'm still leaning towards rear fill :eek: Most likely a simple mid range ran mono.

Drawbacks?
Suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Single amp systems?

Still new and I'm trying to find out the best setup in a 2003 4runner while keeping it a functional SUV.
I know, i know but I'm still leaning towards rear fill :eek: Most likely a simple mid range ran mono.

Drawbacks?
Suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
Passive or active?

If passive, then one amp will work, if active you may have a hard time finding a 7 channel.

Beyond that, one amp is easier to install, easier to wire (no distro blocks)

On the down side, usually lower overall power, and if the mono side goes or 4 channel side goes then you need to replace the whole amp, instead of just one.

Zapco Reference, AG series 6 channel
Arc 5 channel XXK series or 6 channel KAR series
Kicker 700.5

And the ADS forthmeal suggested.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
A/D/S/ amps are your friend here. There's some popping up in the classifieds here, and on eBay of course. Most of the higher end ones have digital crossovers onboard and are extremely flexible. It doesn't hurt that they also sound amazing.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Single amp systems?

Drawbacks?
Suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
If you must have rear fill and want to save some cash, you can run the rears of your head unit and get a 5 or 6 ch amp to do an active 2-way front stage and sub. If you have a head unit that has active crossovers, you can even cross the rears accordingly. I did this in my last car and had the rears basically playing only midrange (i think they were playing from 63 Hz to 5 kHz) and then attenuated a bit so I couldn't hear them up front. Eliminating the high frequencies from the rear made it seem more like ambient sound rather than direct sound coming from those speakers which is what I wanted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts