DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find a decent single din which will feed into a digital signal processor (haven't made my mind yet on which one to buy but JL Audio TWK88 and Helix DSP.2 are tops on my list at the moment)

Currently own an Alpine CDE-123R which I can't complain about except it doesn't play FLAC files. I wish to upgrade due to this lacking feature in the CDE-123R in order to obtain higher resolutions at source.

Therefore I'm looking for a unit with Flac capability - with the best possible Bit Depth and Sampling Rate possible. Ideally it should also have built-in bluetooth compatibility with my android phone so I can make calls and use phonebook integration.

Having a 4V output is also ideal although strictly speaking I'm not sure if it is imperative to have this feature as I'll be feeding the signal to the processor rather then the Amp directly.

I'm also aware of the 80PRS but since I'll be hooking the HU to the DSP, I'll be spending money on a bunch of features (TA, EQ etc.) which I won't need. Ideally I'll be spending that money on build quality of the receiver (if anything with quality still exists in the market)

Thoughts much appreciated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am trying to find a decent single din which will feed into a digital signal processor (haven't made my mind yet on which one to buy but JL Audio TWK88 and Helix DSP.2 are tops on my list at the moment)

Currently own an Alpine CDE-123R which I can't complain about except it doesn't play FLAC files. I wish to upgrade due to this lacking feature in the CDE-123R in order to obtain higher resolutions at source.

Therefore I'm looking for a unit with Flac capability - with the best possible Bit Depth and Sampling Rate possible. Ideally it should also have built-in bluetooth compatibility with my android phone so I can make calls and use phonebook integration.

Having a 4V output is also ideal although strictly speaking I'm not sure if it is imperative to have this feature as I'll be feeding the signal to the processor rather then the Amp directly.

I'm also aware of the 80PRS but since I'll be hooking the HU to the DSP, I'll be spending money on a bunch of features (TA, EQ etc.) which I won't need. Ideally I'll be spending that money on build quality of the receiver (if anything with quality still exists in the market)

Thoughts much appreciated.
You can do a search on Crutchfield. Their filters allow you to narrow the results based on all of your stated criteria. Looks like you've got options ranging from $80 to $160 as far as single DIN units go.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Kenwood excelon is working great for me. And save yourself the headache and go with the helix I wish I would have but dealing with what I have for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the input. Wasn't considering Kenwood to be fair but I'll have a look into these.

Crutchfield search also brought me this Sony model : MEX-GS820BT. Anyone familiar with this unit? Can't seem to find much about but it looks like it ticks all the boxes (Single-Din, FLAC, 4v or more output, Rear Output - prefer rear inputs so I can hide the drive into the glove box)

There is this Pioneer DEH-X8800BHS which looks to me like a stripped down version of the 80prs without the Burr Brown DAC. The manual claims it has a Quantization bitrate of 24 bit but on Pionee'rs website it says it can handle FLAC only up to 16bit. Also I'm a bit skeptic about the build quality of the pioneers - thin cabling, possible issue about pico fuse and many complaints about the display not showing properly in sunlight.

For the Alpines there is the CDE-175BT, plays FLACs with 4v but no rear USB. However Alpines have the better reputation for build quality, or at least that is how it used to be back in the days. Not sure if they still keep their standards in this day and age.

Any ideas of the kind of chipsets and quality of chipset being mounted in these kind of HUs nowadays?

Also any thoughts if I'm over-emphasising the need of a 4V preout considering I'll be buying a DSP and the need for playing 24-bit audio in the car, would it make an audible difference even when paired with a complementary sound system?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts