DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a single (down firing, sealed) 10" setup behind the passenger seat in my Access Cab Tacoma Truck. Now, through the use of Alpines CDA-9886, Imprint Processor (PXA-H100), and a bunch of Hybrid speakers, i am very happy with my "active" stage...except for the sub.

My Front stage is blended nicely, everything is there in front of me, no real peaks or valleys...but on any songs that include more low end bass, i actually start to notice the stage blending more to the right/rear of the area. In other words, the sub seems to pull the music back and off center.

With the Imprint capabilities of the system, i am able to adjust each speakers (and sub) TA, x-over, gains, and frequency. HOWEVER, i can't for the life of me figure out how to make a SINGLE sub that is off center and behind me blend better or at least sound like its in the middle of the back seat area.

I've tried swapping the phase 180 degrees on the sub, I've tried moving the x-overs around to have the sub play less higher frequencies...all to no avail.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Just in case my setup doesn't show up in the signature below:
  • Alpine CDA-9886
  • Alpine PXA-H100 Imprint Unit
  • JL Audio 300/4
  • Hybrid Audio Unity 6.5" (running active)
  • JL Audio 250/1
  • Infinity Perfect 10.1 (4ohm single) sealed down firing
  • lots of FatMat

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Greetings!

Before you start trying to manipulate the signal via DSP, be sure to go back to square one and make sure you don't have a resonance issue or the driver is chuffing and causing localization to take place. Those are the two biggest reasons that I find when trying to identify sub problems.

Nick Wingate
National Training Coordinator
Orca Design/Focal America

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
My bass is in front of me (sub in passenger footwell) and I still have similar issue with very low notes. Personally I think my situation is caused by the lower freqs having longer wavelengths and interacting with the rear of my vehicle-haven't really tried anything to "cure" it yet-I have TA, but it won't make any difference to 17m wavelength...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The method assumes that your system is an active one, with each channel individually adjustable for time delay. It is developed and written for a 2-way front stage with a mono subwoofer channel and no rear speakers, though it can adapted for any other active system, no matter how many channels. Note that there is only one sweet spot per calibration. "

EXCELLENT find! apparently my search abilities suck. i am going to try this stuff today.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
"The method assumes that your system is an active one, with each channel individually adjustable for time delay. It is developed and written for a 2-way front stage with a mono subwoofer channel and no rear speakers, though it can adapted for any other active system, no matter how many channels. Note that there is only one sweet spot per calibration. "

EXCELLENT find! apparently my search abilities suck. i am going to try this stuff today.
lol, I have it bookmarked. comes in handy.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I suspect that panel resonances, rattles, and buzzes is what could draw the stage back. I have heard that at sub bass frequencies humans can't localize bass very well anyways. The most important thing to do is to ensure that the rear area is sound proof and that the subwoofer is in phase with the front speakers.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
My bass is in front of me (sub in passenger footwell) and I still have similar issue with very low notes. Personally I think my situation is caused by the lower freqs having longer wavelengths and interacting with the rear of my vehicle-haven't really tried anything to "cure" it yet-I have TA, but it won't make any difference to 17m wavelength...
Suggest you give T/A a go... In my girlfriend's BMW, the subwoofer in behind the passenger's front seat and ANY note that hits, images in the middle of my soundstage...
Crossing my sub @ 40Hz 12dB and my midbass @ 125Hz 12dB with no localization issue - then fine tuned with T/A and am now getting that hit in the chest feeling.

Really... Give it a go (or another go)

Kelvin

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Suggest you give T/A a go... In my girlfriend's BMW, the subwoofer in behind the passenger's front seat and ANY note that hits, images in the middle of my soundstage...
Crossing my sub @ 40Hz 12dB and my midbass @ 125Hz 12dB with no localization issue - then fine tuned with T/A and am now getting that hit in the chest feeling.

Really... Give it a go (or another go)

Kelvin
I've had a good play, and for the most part it's all infront. I've tried phase/slope/TA and have improved one area and worsened another-need to get some clear tuning time-though hard atm!

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Thanks for this. It did wonders for me! Helped move the sound forward and toned down the boominess.
Glad to hear it worked for you :D

Kelvin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts