DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I tried asking this over on ECA with no luck, so I figured this would be a more appropriate place to ask anyways :twisted:

I have some 8" RS225's and the RS tweeters sitting here on the floor that I'd like to install as a 2 way setup in my car. My question is, how large/small of an enclosure should I glass for the woofer?

Specs are as follows:
*Power handling: 80 watts RMS/120 watts max *VCdia: 1.5" *Le: 1.0 mH *Znom: 8 ohms *Re: 6.4 ohms *Frequency range: 27-2,000 Hz *Fs: 27 Hz *SPL: 88.1 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 2.75 cu. ft. *Qms: 1.60 *Qes: .47 *Qts: .37 *Xmax: 7 mm *Dimensions: A: 8-3/4", B: 7-3/8", C: 4".

According to this:
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad2.htm

I came up with just under a ft^3 for each driver. I have no idea what else to go by. Note the Vas spec.

If anyone can help me out I'd mucho appreciate it :cool:.

-aaron

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Personally, I'd use that driver in the doors free-air. If you have to put it in a kick, make it as large as you can.

·
Registered
531 Posts
that is alot of volume to try and stuff into a kick panel....

be sure to add mucho polyfill....and vent them into the carpet behind the kickpanel....

anyway you can cut a hole behind the kickpanel and vent them to somewhere outside of the car???

that's like trying to fit a 12" x 12" x 12" box in each kickpanel.....

·
****ty D.I.Y. installer
71 Posts
You're not going to find enough sealed airspace in a sealed kickpanel. See if you can vent it through the kickpanel area. Many/most cars have a space back there to vent to.

If you can't do that, go doors. My .02

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sized up everything the other day. I can get pics if you insist, but a cu^3 is very doable in my Buick.

Why does everyone say I need more then what a box calculator AND what PartsExpress recommends without giving any reasoning, that's what's confusing me.

-aaron

·
Registered
531 Posts
ArcL100 said:
I sized up everything the other day. I can get pics if you insist, but a cu^3 is very doable in my Buick.

Why does everyone say I need more then what a box calculator AND what PartsExpress recommends without giving any reasoning, that's what's confusing me.

-aaron
we're just saying it's going to be hard as hell to fit that much space in a kick panel....

but if you say it's doable....do it :)

only time i've seen 8's in kicks is when they've been vented to the outside of the car...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, I just wasn't sure if you guys were trying to tell me I'd need even more space then that. Wed is my day off, I'll mock up what I have in mind.

thanks
-aaron

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
The reason for the larger enclosure is to help remove some of that backpressure from the driver from coloring the midrange. All that spl being generated in front of the driver is also going into the rear enclosure, except that it has nowhere to go.

Imho, if you've ever heard a "boxless" speaker such as a dipole, electrostatic or planar, or even a transmission line you can easily see how much more open and natural the midrange sounds.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
The reason for the larger enclosure is to help remove some of that backpressure from the driver from coloring the midrange. All that spl being generated in front of the driver is also going into the rear enclosure, except that it has nowhere to go.

Imho, if you've ever heard a "boxless" speaker such as a dipole, electrostatic or planar, or even a transmission line you can easily see how much more open and natural the midrange sounds.
TTT because it's a awesome way to say it !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.