DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For about the last 2.5mo now I have been test driving many different prefab boxes in my standard cab Silverado. None of which will be permanent.. as I have decided against a center console build I had initially been planning.

Right now my favorite is a 12" mounted inverted and bolted to a ~3ft^3 box SEALED!

I've always preferred vented over sealed, but I've never ridden in the trunk before either.. and the internal cabin dimensions on that truck are as small, if not smaller, than most trunks when you take into consideration the seats, dash, speaker box, myself, etc.

Anyway, this is my first attempt at running the SQL 15 in the truck.. so I picked up a like new Skar EVL 15" Vented box tuned to 31hz. I am very aware of Skar's reputation as a more entry level, budget friendly brand.. with less than exceptional performance compared to higher reputated brands such as Sundown, DD, etc.

That being said, for a prefab box, this is definitely one of the better I've seen! It appears to be built relatively well. It does have a dual chambered vent tuned to OEM spec @ 31hz. I still think that's gonna be higher than what I prefer.. at least after logging several hundred miles with sealed 12".

Here's my question/concerns:

1 - What is that center plate, what does it do.. and what will problems if any will it cause if I mount the woofer inverted? Option B: knock it out and have the ability to mount either way.. but do the smaller holes around the magnet hole have some sort of impact on the tuning frequency. My options: mount inverted, or knock it out as my woofer will NOT fit with that whatever it is. (Note the wooden brace on both the top and bottom you see.. is not there on the back side so knocking it out would be relatively easy)

2 - The vent grill is metal, not plastic, and can be removed.. which I easily could cap off and run sealed.

3 - You tell me.. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks!

20210610_211539.jpg 20210610_211712-1.jpg 20210610_211621.jpg

·
Registered
638 Posts
mount the sub inverted for testing. that appears to be a brace to both support the subs motor, as evident by the felt, and keep the box from flexing. you could replace it with two wooden dowels to keep the box structurally similar, or just ditch it all together, as long as the box is built ok and you arent planning on running it long it shouldnt matter. i dont see a point in converting this ported box to sealed when you could just buy or build a sealed box, what am i missing?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mount the sub inverted for testing. that appears to be a brace to both support the subs motor, as evident by the felt, and keep the box from flexing. you could replace it with two wooden dowels to keep the box structurally similar, or just ditch it all together, as long as the box is built ok and you arent planning on running it long it shouldnt matter. i dont see a point in converting this ported box to sealed when you could just buy or build a sealed box, what am i missing?
I absolutely HATED sealed boxes up until now.. whereas in this standard cab Silverado for the first time in my life I feel as tho I am riding in the trunk!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And I have already cut a straight line below port holes or whatever they are.. and mounted my woofer standard in the box.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've still never heard, or built a sealed box I was happy with. Also, although I think Sundown makes some fine stuff (I have a little Sundown 8" in my car, and love it) I don't think they are much, if any better than Skar..... as long as your comparing the same level of subwoofers. Sundown makes some level 5, 5000+ wt stuff, and it wouldn't be fair to compare that to Skars 1500 wt stuff.

BTW, I love deep bass too, but you have to consider how much really deep (below 30 or 25 hz) bass your recordings have. Its great to have a system that can make 20 hz, or even less, but then you have to have that kind of material to play.... and it comes at a cost of reducing the upper end bass, which almost all music is going to have. I started with my Skar ZVX 18" tuned to 29 hz, and it did really well..... but after trying it at 32 hz, I don't think I will ever go back. (super easy to change my tuning, as I'm running passive radiators, which can be changed by adding or removing weight to the cones)

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've still never heard, or built a sealed box I was happy with. Also, although I think Sundown makes some fine stuff (I have a little Sundown 8" in my car, and love it) I don't think they are much, if any better than Skar..... as long as your comparing the same level of subwoofers. Sundown makes some level 5, 5000+ wt stuff, and it wouldn't be fair to compare that to Skars 1500 wt stuff.

BTW, I love deep bass too, but you have to consider how much really deep (below 30 or 25 hz) bass your recordings have. Its great to have a system that can make 20 hz, or even less, but then you have to have that kind of material to play.... and it comes at a cost of reducing the upper end bass, which almost all music is going to have. I started with my Skar ZVX 18" tuned to 29 hz, and it did really well..... but after trying it at 32 hz, I don't think I will ever go back. (super easy to change my tuning, as I'm running passive radiators, which can be changed by adding or removing weight to the cones)
The sealed box that I have the 12 is a ProBox with vent tuned to 44hz.. which is waaaaay too high for me! So I capped the port (temporarily) thinking that even tho I HATE sealed boxes.. it'd be impossible for it to sound any worse than tuned to 44hz. Yes, I'd say the overall volume level is 1/3 of what it was ported.. but I was blown away how hard, deep and low that little inverted SQL hits in an oversized (3ft^3) sealed box.

I have my LPF set at 50hz and centered at 20hz (sealed) as I'm after the lowest of lows. I say temporary because all of these woofers I'm trying will definitely return to inside the house and/or be replaced with an HST.

Being that the 12 and 15 SQLs share the same motor (fact) I measured the diameter of the magnet and expanded the 7" hole all the way to 9" instead of completely removing it, if only for resale value, but I was still having problems getting it to fit.

Finally, Jack Daniel's said to hell with it and so I just cut it out.. problem solved, right?

Wrong! Now that Jack has left and I see it in proper daylight.. the problem is the recessed mounting hole!

I have no clue as to how to solve that problem without absolutely negating any sort of resale value entirely, which honestly is the very least of my concerns right now.. I just don't know to go about expanding it, period!

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, mounting it inverted would absolutely be preference not just to increase internal volume, as it is about 1.5ft^3 small to begin with.. but also to have the ability to change the impedance level on the fly. However, the measurements I took in the truck leaves me about 1" to small.. and the dash doesn't give! Lol.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Somebody has their dimensions posted incorrectly, as I did check before I bought it..

SI:
si.spec.jpg

Skar:
skar.spec.jpg

20210611_183231.jpg 20210611_183544.jpg

Any suggestions to how I can get it to fit? Can I remove the surround? Any ideas?

As much as I'd hate to destroy this, dare I say very well built, prefab box to get that woofer to fit.. I will destroy it if necessary I just need advice as how. I only gave $30 bucks for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ive never built or used a ported box i was happy with ever since i got into SQ instead of SPL... even one i built to exact Audiofrog specs i dont like as much as a basic 1 cu ft sealed for my GB12D4's... Crazy how everyone has different taste in sound !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts