DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anyone used the zapco ZSL-165 shallow components? zapco stopped making speakers, but still make this set. i did install a set of these in a smart car, but because of money limits, there was no amp! so i still dont know what a pair of these sound like when they are set up right. i want to try some, but it shows the speaker only goes down to 80 hz and thats waaaay to high.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hey, has anyone used the zapco ZSL-165 shallow components? zapco stopped making speakers, but still make this set. i did install a set of these in a smart car, but because of money limits, there was no amp! so i still dont know what a pair of these sound like when they are set up right. i want to try some, but it shows the speaker only goes down to 80 hz and thats waaaay to high.
I installed a pair of these in a civic. He used a Phoenix Gold MS-275 to power them. The tweeter response was great but the midbass response was really lacking. good mids.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a pair of these in a civic. He used a Phoenix Gold MS-275 to power them. The tweeter response was great but the midbass response was really lacking. good mids.
oh really? well since you might be the only one who has tried them, so I'm going to try to get as much info from you possible lol. can you give me any more details on how they sounded? or did you not do much testing with it? I'm curious how much they take for power before they start to distort. any information is helpful

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
oh really? well since you might be the only one who has tried them, so I'm going to try to get as much info from you possible lol. can you give me any more details on how they sounded? or did you not do much testing with it? I'm curious how much they take for power before they start to distort. any information is helpful
Didn't do much testing on these. They were installed in a well deadened door with the tweeter mounted high in the door. Imaging was nice and midrange was natural and clean. as I said before midbass was lacking. I would give them between 125-150rms and they should be happy. I wouldn't go much over 200rms/ch to them. This is the extent of my knowledge with these comps... I installed them and listened to them for maybe a half an hour. good luck with your comps.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have them mated to a Audison LRX5.1k with an MS8 as the processor. As the other guy said, they are beautiful sounding speakers, but put out absolutely zero midbass. I have them running off the 185w on the c+d channels of the Audison amp, but I am contemplating just wiring the crossover into the mix, giving 60wpc to the mids and tweets, and throw in my Zapco CK16.2 midbasses with the 180wpc as tuning the 3way setup will be easy as pie with the ms8.

I will say that the build quality on the new zapco speakers are down quite a bit from the old ESB models...they sound really nice tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts