DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is how to make A-Pillar Tweet pods for my LPG 26na's, they will be most likely aimed at each other just a few degree's in towards the windshield...........Buuuuut the real question is how do i make them without ruining the existing Panel that is there, Sorta so that i could slip the pod over the Existing panel and just insert the Tweeter, yet have it blend fairly seemlessly. I'm really wanting when i get my new car to put my tweeters in the A-pillars but i don't want to take the chance of ruining the existing panels that are already in the car, I would rather just have something that i made that could slip over the existing panel and still do what i need it to do, and stay in that position.........But look nice.

So how would or how could i pull this idea off, And still have them very clean looking, wiring invisible, and everything.

I know fiberglass edges would break if they bend, and it would be brittle......so Ideas please....

I also had the idea that if i can't do individual slip on pods to just make brand new panels, making a negative of the existing panel then fill it in with fiberglass, but that would cost more than the pods, and be significantly harder than i think i could do, as i'm a newbie to the fiberglassing.

So ideas welcome.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Maybe try to find a pair of pillars at a junk yard. That way you can safely store the originals and go nuts on the replacement ones.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the car is a Scion tC, in a way i doubt the finding of A-pillar panels in junkyards around here, theres not many at all on the road, and probobly less in a junk yard.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would call the dealer and see how much a replacement set of a-pillars would cost. If they're not to pricey go to town on the one's you have now. I know for my car (2k4 maxima) the pillars are only $27 a pop.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea, I hope there not too much, Then i'd be able to hack them up as much as i'd like, I just really want to have a replacement set, in case something went wrong, ya know that feeling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
demon2091tb said:
Good idea, I hope there not too much, Then i'd be able to hack them up as much as i'd like, I just really want to have a replacement set, in case something went wrong, ya know that feeling.
Oh yeah I know that feeling, that's why I called to check how much replacements cost for mine. :wink:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here's some pods I made for my buddy. Simply used the pillar as a mold and these are placed directly over the top. There are two 6-32 screws holding each one in place, but the small holes I drilled for them can easily be filled and repainted if need be. It was the least obtrusive way of mounting them I could come up with so that they would be secure. I simply glassed a couple nuts into the pods when I did the initial mold. Works peferctly and blends in well I think.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is actually really close to what i was thinking, but higher on the A-pillar, Basically ear level, firing at each other but just a few degrees in towards the windshield. The tweeters i have are LPG 26na with a fairly shallow mounting depth, so i really could get away with something about 1/2" away from the panel if i worked hard enough.

·
Registered
2011 Outback - Surf Pro 3 + Stock HU, HAT L1V2, HAT U3, DLS U6i, P6MKII, SFB-3000d, DD 9512
30 Posts
I’m looking for some pre-fab pods that will mount to my A pillars for tweets and mids. I see some aluminum ones online but was wondering if there’s anyone out there that makes them. Thanks

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
That is actually really close to what i was thinking, but higher on the A-pillar, Basically ear level, firing at each other but just a few degrees in towards the windshield. The tweeters i have are LPG 26na with a fairly shallow mounting depth, so i really could get away with something about 1/2" away from the panel if i worked hard enough.
Just a quick one... why do you think that aiming will make a good job of your tweeters freq response and staging? It’s honestly the last place I’d put a tweeter aiming wise, I would always aim down the length of the car more than across as reflections from the drivers side glass will ruin the stage in every car I’ve ever setup for sq... then adjust them back onwards a bit at a time until the stage collapses somewhat and move them back out

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I’m looking for some pre-fab pods that will mount to my A pillars for tweets and mids. I see some aluminum ones online but was wondering if there’s anyone out there that makes them. Thanks
super old thread you bumped but if you’re looking at the ones on eBay I would suggest you look at some of the threads on here. Some not happy customers of the aluminum pods.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.