• SLS 6.5/FR88 (Current set up)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PPI 3.65c mid/tweet + RSD 6 midbass

Votes: 2 100.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a set of PPI 3.65c mids and tweets for a descent deal on another forum. I currently run a set of FR88's on dash in pvc pods with SLS 6.5's in the doors. The SLS's are seeing right at 120W (set with dmm - 3DB tone) and the fr88's are seeing around 20W(via DMM). its gets loud, sounds great and is very dynamic. However, I run all PPI amps and it would be nice to add that black/copper look to my front stage.
So my quesion is, what would u do. I have never heard the ppi PC mids or tweet but read great things. If i run them, I have an rsd 6 inch midbass that would match well in efficiency and makes gobs of midbass and that would make its way into my door. Power wise, the RSD would get put on my BK210.2 @ 65 watts, and the the PC mid/tweet would each get a channel of the BK340.4 i have so up to 55 watts each.
One of the things that pushing me this way is the added efficiency of the tree way. the PPI's are around 87DB's wheras the RSD is at 88. so very well aligned. That is much beeter than the 82/83 number on my sls/fr88 combo.

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the FR88's are amazing for what they are. never have I had such a great image that high up. However, The copper look would match my amps (PPI Black Ice) and these would be easy to place on my dash. As well, I think that the top end is a touch rough for what I am going for. I actually would like to compete with my truck and I feel that at 130Dbs+ the founteks are a touch strained dynamically (if that makes sense) on things like motely crue or metallica. and due to ther enclosures (PVC for me) i cant move them around as much as id like. With the PPI set, i could mount them in the sail or A pillar without glassing it.. both parts that are easily replaceable in the future cheaply.

Honeslty I may not use them in my truck. Ive also thought they may match nicely with a Silver flute 8 in my chevy cobalt. I have two PPI power class amps that would work wonders in that vehicle.. It all dedpends and I figured i would get the forums input.

· Registered
135 Posts
It makes sense that the founteks are strained dynamically when keeping up with 130 d-beez.
Switching from an enclosed 3" to a 2.5" without an enclosure (i guessed when you said apillar.), it will probably just get worse.

I know it doesnt help your size issue, but have you tried a tweeter with the fountek?

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The founteks actually get really loud very well, though they are very position and and phase dependent. I have played with their position on my dash a lot and they sound best when firing up at the glass. Its just a hard spot to put them in in their round enclosures.
I wouldn't run the 2.5 as low nor as high so it would probably be less strained. as well due the impedance change, and the efficiency bump, it would get a cleaner signal (anecdotal).
I wish I had the funds to pick up another 340.4 and run the founteks on that with a tweet. it would prolly clean them up and offer a lil more dynamic range. they are only seeing 20 watts (via DMM) right now. but I only have the 210.2 so no tweet and at 8 ohms, not a whole lot of headroom.

PS: thx for the reply to my topic, discussing this has really made me analyze my options and I think I will stay with th FR88's. I have a chevy coabtlthat has to IB 15's (Dayton)..... Like I said earlier, those mids/tweets might go well with a silver flute 8 in each door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.