DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Small box shallow 10" sub

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  strakele 
#1 ·
Hey guys, for a new project I'm looking for a shallow mount 10" sub that'll work well in a very small enclosure. I guess an 8 is acceptable too, but I'd like a 10.

Requirements:

- Not much more than 3" deep
- Will work in a .25 cubic foot enclosure
- Doesn't sound like crap, low distortion

Now here's the deal. Most shallow subs need almost as much space as a full size sub (and some I've modeled want something ridiculous like 8 cubic feet to even get a .85 Qtc).

But.... I don't care about low end extension for this particular project. This sub will be crossed low at 40 or 50Hz and high at around 90Hz, so I couldn't care less about getting a flat response to 25Hz.

So I ask, for what I want to use it for, what's the best shallow sub out there?

Right now I have WinISD open with

Dayton shallow 8 NS210"
Dayton shallow 10 NS270
Tang Band shallow 10" WT-1427G
Clarion WF2510 10"
MTX TT6510-04
RE SL10D4
Earthquake SWS-10X

The Earthquake looks the best (smooth curve, highest volume) but this is probably just because of the very high Qtc induced midbass peak. Might sound like crap, I dunno. I'm basically using this sub for high sub-bass to midbass, so that might be ok.

So, for my intended use, what should I look closer at? Most of these are around the same price, so I'm open to anything as long as it'll be nice and punchy in the ~40-90Hz range.

See less See more
#3 ·
It models pretty well, like it was actually made to be used in a very small enclosure unlike many of the others. Which probably makes it one of the best choices.

However, I do wonder if, since I'm mainly using this as midbass reinforcement, would it be ok or better to go with something like the Earthquake which models quite a bit louder than the Tang Band from 50 and up due to the midbass peak caused by a smaller than optimum enclosure?

#4 ·
Here's my model of a few of them:

With the power I'd be giving them, 40Hz and 90Hz 4th order crossovers.

Orange - Earthquake SWS-10X
Blue - MTX TT6510
Green - Clarion WF2510
Magenta - Tang Band WT-1427G
White - RE SL10D4

#6 ·
Hence my questioning. I know computer modeling only gets you so far.

I was hoping for some firsthand experience with any of these subs, or at least confirmation of my thought that the very high Qtc of some of these won't matter since I'm not too worried about low end extension and would rather have high volume and punch in the upper sub bass / lower midbass area.

But I am worried about sounding good and transient response, which are generally not characteristics of enclosures that are much too small.

#9 ·
I wasn't sure if SI made 10's, but I figured they'd be about impossible to find either way.

I have looked at the Alpine, but it's about twice as expensive as the others and wants more airspace. Everybody sure seems to like the new Alpine stuff though, which is cool.

#10 · (Edited)
Just found the Elemental Designs SQ10. I think I might have a winner. Louder than all the other options except for the MTX and Earthquake due to their high midbass peak.

So before I do this, does this make sense? Despite not exactly needing low low extension, going with the sub that's actually made to perform in a small box, rather than a sub that will have a 2-3dB peak in my range of intended use?

Edit... looks like there is some speculation that the eD and Tang Band subs are actually pretty much the same. Tough there are some differences...

I don't know. The eD is out of stock, but listed for much cheaper than the TB.

#11 ·
i have two of the dayton 10's that i might be selling. my system idea has changed so i probably won't be needing these. and they are new, i've never hooked them up so i can't actually tell you about how them perform, sorry. 160$ + s/h, if that's what you're looking for. let me know, otherwise good luck!

#12 ·
I went back and looked at the Alpine again, and maybe before I had seen numbers for the 12. The 10 actually models pretty well in .25cubic feet. Not much different from the others at the same power, but it wins it in power handling by taking double or more than any of the others.

So here's all the subs being modeled with their rated RMS power listed in each box along with which line is which:

And here's all the subs with the same power and the box Qtc and Fsc shown:

With the same power, they all look the same, except for the Earthquake. So I don't know what to do. I really don't know if I trust the Earthquake specs either. WinISD calculates different values for some of the parameters. And I have a hard time believing their xmax claim.

What should I do?

#16 ·
I ended up going with the SB Acoustics sub, as it was one of the shallower offerings and was happiest in the smallest airspace.

I have not used it yet so I can't tell you more than that. Check my build log after this coming weekend.

#18 ·
SW26DAC76-8

Definitely subscribing to this thread... I am interested in this sub because I have a w124 original E-Class 1994 and am having trouble getting nice sealed bass into the passenger compartment.

I might consider converting a Z-box (replaces rear deck - lose sun shade (rattles) - but retains headrests) ) over for sub use that had Audax 5.25" subs in it before. Wondering if these can give clean delineated- well articulated bass from 90hz on down. I suppose I could put 2 passive radiators where the 5.25" drivers were.

Has anyone used this sub?

#20 ·
For anyone who was following this, I installed the SB Acoustics sub in my footwell:

It's nice, tight, clean, and punchy. Powerful, enveloping bass down to all but the lowest frequencies. Being powered by a bridged Arc KS300.2, so a bit less than 400W at 8 ohms. Enclosure is probably around .4 cubic feet.

See the full install and more comments in my build log linked in my signature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.