DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the loop a bit lately-are there any decent 4 channel amps that take up a small space and don't cost too much? It will be going in an application without much venting so a class D (or similar) topology would be appreciated. I'd used the Pioneer 4 channel class D and was quite happy with it if that helps.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Very good and not to expensive. RD400/4

Reactions: Shadow_419

·
Registered
82 Posts
Alpine power packs are cheap and very small, not very powerful, but definitely better than straight head unit, even most aftermarkets. If you arent planning on LOUD they're worth considering. Often get mounted in the dash behind the head unit

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
There's a ton of them. Soundstream stealth, nvx vadm, ppi ion and atom, Rockford has one too... That's just the start of the list... And theyre all better than the power pack.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you can wait it out then Creative Audio sells these JL RD400/4 refurb units for $209. They don't have any in stock right now but used to keep them in stock.
Oh, good call! I'd ordered refurb'd gear from them in the past.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You want a decent yet inexpensive 4 channel amp? Look no further. A few folks here run these:

Ge0
hows the sq on these toro's? first i've heard of them, looking for a lower power amp to run the mille legend tweeters and midranges that are rated 50wrms each.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
hows the sq on these toro's? first i've heard of them, looking for a lower power amp to run the mille legend tweeters and midranges that are rated 50wrms each.
They are not in the same league as Brax but they get the job done. A few long time members here are running them and like them. A member named Navy Chief runs them. I plan on installing them in my sons car once I'm done screwing around with my car :).

Ge0

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are not in the same league as Brax but they get the job done. A few long time members here are running them and like them. A member named Navy Chief runs them. I plan on installing them in my sons car once I'm done screwing around with my car :).

Ge0
thanks, looked up some testing and didn't look like they met rated so (to their credit) they dropped the ratings down. can't find much info on sq and i'm mainly looking for something to replace my avionixx axa 440.4(which i have no comparison info of just how good it sounds compared to modern offerings, but they were solid class ab amps back in the day) just because it's too big to fit in the audi side amp/nav compartment but not lose much sq.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are not in the same league as Brax but they get the job done. A few long time members here are running them and like them.

Ge0
Am I reading the specs right on the MRx4 in that the crossover can't be defeated? Looks like I can choose a 20hz HP filter so I guess that's okay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Am I reading the specs right on the MRx4 in that the crossover can't be defeated? Looks like I can choose a 20hz HP filter so I guess that's okay.
correct the crossovers can't be defeated by a switch just moved to outside the range you want them to work in.

·
Registered
102 Posts
thanks, looked up some testing and didn't look like they met rated so (to their credit) they dropped the ratings down. can't find much info on sq and i'm mainly looking for something to replace my avionixx axa 440.4(which i have no comparison info of just how good it sounds compared to modern offerings, but they were solid class ab amps back in the day) just because it's too big to fit in the audi side amp/nav compartment but not lose much sq.
Yeah I thought I remembered the RX4 being listed as 85w RMS? TBH I think even that's overrated, or Zapco is underrated, cause my ST4X is definitely stronger at the same gain.

Sound quality is great but keep in mind it's a class AB. So it runs hot as balls.

To OP, Toro's MRX4 is a micro class D amp for like $80. Not trying to shill for them but there are only so many non-Crunch or Boss options in that price range.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The issue with the toro is relatively low output. The nvx has a bit more output, but not a ton.

I have a pair of power acoustik razors. They're WAY overrated in power, but even at the ~50% of rated power they dyno at, they still are a lot more power than these. Even more fun, one model has a built in dsp now, and the monoblock they sell at Walmart for 90 bucks will effectively do rated power. Are they the best? Hell no. But they're small, pretty cheap, and they do put out some decent power, though they're a little bigger than the toro or nvx.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts