DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been rounding up parts for my first build in awhile. Got everything straightened out except for the sub(s). Just looking for a little bit of guidance based on what I have to work with.

Power package will be on the lower end. I bought a PDX-5 from someone on this forum to run my comps, so I'm just working with the PDX's sub channel for power. Birth sheet read 458w at 14.4, so I'm assuming a more realistic 375-400 of power here. I went with the PDX because I do not have the funds to do electrical work at this time, so I will be sticking with the PDX for sub power until I can afford to upgrade the electrical system later (*fists* at tuition rates! )

For an enclosure I'm going to go sealed. 1.5 cubes will probably be the max I'm willing to sacrifice space-wise. I have a personal preference for sealed and SQ subs as well, but would like something that has good low reproduction even if it's not loud. I will most likely be crossing the sub at 80hz as that's where my Type-R comps tend to fall off.

Budget is around $200 tops. I'd prefer to keep it lower if possible.

All that said, I'm really not sure what the best path to take here is, especially due to the fact that I'm not as knowledgeable as I used to be in the audio world.

With the 400'ish W power envelope in mind, I considered the following options:

2 x JBL GTO1014's
2 x ID 10d2 v3's ( a little out of my price range, maybe used is an option)
2 x JL 10w0 v3's
1 x SSA DCon 12
1 x Tidal TM12.4
1 x JL 12w3

One thing to think about is that this is going in the trunk of a Chevy Cobalt. While there is decent trunk space for a 12, I do have a bit of a concern about getting an enclosure built for a 12 into the trunk. The trunk loading area is kind of odd dimension-wise, and I'd prefer to have an enclosure that I don't have a huge fuss getting in and out when I need to.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The jbls look really good and super efficient at like 91db. So it shouldnt take much at all to get them moving.
I may be going with them myself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I really like what I've read so far about the JBL's. I just wasn't sure if ~200w to each of the 2 10's would be underpowering them too much. Kinda why I started looking into single 12's. 400w looked to be a good fit for a large number of budget single 12's but always seemed to be a bit low for 2 of the better performing budget 10's.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
two 10s on the 400 watts will be louder than a single 12 on 400 watts. cone area rules especially when compared to same wattage.

for some reason, ID subs have almost always out performed other subs in sealed boxes according to modeling programs. no idea if that translates to real life for sure though.

ive heard some jbl gto(dont remember 10s or 12s) they sounded just fine and for the price are hard to beat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts