DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, without much forethought, I thought it would be cool to put my midbass in small sealed since I have the depth in the doors. In retrospect though, the MB I have is probably designed for IB, Am I killing it? How would I know? As in, what would be the telltale sign that it's choking?

And when I say, "small sealed," I mean that it's basically just big enough to house the driver. I can't find any T/S or recommended install info that would suggest one or the other though.

For reference, the woofer is a Rainbow 165 SLC NG : 6.5" Woofer and here's a couple pics of the door.

·
Registered
898 Posts
BAD BAD BAD move! You want IB!

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that go for the mid too? I was going to do kicks for them or glass them into the doors and both of those options are sealed (pretty much). Or is the mid a completely different animal?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Yeah they are all pretty much optimized for door/IB installs. You could still vent your kicks into the fender or dash, depending how you make them.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
How long have you been running the slc's like that? They prob need about 10 hrs break in time. And you let those guys breath into your door, your going to have much better midbass response.

My kicks' sound changed pretty dramatically as they broke in. They were okay in the beginning, but once the settled in, I liked them so much more.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long have you been running the slc's like that? They prob need about 10 hrs break in time. And you let those guys breath into your door, your going to have much better midbass response.

My kicks' sound changed pretty dramatically as they broke in. They were okay in the beginning, but once the settled in, I liked them so much more.
I literally JUST got them in last night. I don't even have an hour on them yet.

Do I need to seal up these big ass holes in my doors with sheet metal?

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Lol yeah that'll help greatly. I just used tin roof flashing sandwiched between deadener. Then self-tapping screwed them to the door. Along with deadening the outer and inner skins of the door will help your bass response tremendously.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
trust your ears, if it sounds good...... it sounds good.

before un-doing all your great work id listen to them for a week and use some extra eq if needed.

( a very well respected subwofer company put its drivers in boxes that are 'too small' and eqs the chit out of them to realize EXCELLENT performance )

ive done many things over the years that people said would not work

and it did.

read my sig.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
trust your ears, if it sounds good...... it sounds good.

before un-doing all your great work id listen to them for a week and use some extra eq if needed.

( a very well respected subwofer company put its drivers in boxes that are 'too small' and eqs the chit out of them to realize EXCELLENT performance )

ive done many things over the years that people said would not work

and it did.

read my sig.

And probably runs 2-6x the amount of power that a larger enclosure would require.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Open it up. Don't EVEN try to use it.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I'm all for trying different things, and experimenting to see what will happen, especially if it sounds good... but don't you think this specific application is a bit extreme?

It's one thing to try the driver in a sealed enclosure, but this is so small, only the drive will fit in it. It looks as if there would be almost no airspace behind the driver.

I can't speak to this particular line, but I use/have used the profi and vandy line. They are geared for IB/door application. In my particular install they performed beautifully that way.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Using an IB tuned speaker in a small box will push the Q way high, so you are just chopping off the bottom of its frequency range. If you don't need any midbass and they don't overheat in there (depending on your use) then they will work fine. If you want the bass/midbass they can make then you should open them up. If they are not an IB type speaker it would still help them make bass, but you would hear less of a difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts