DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been window shopping for a set of speakers that must meet some rather tough requirements. I have posted a similar question in another forum, but it didn't get much traffic and I probably didn't ask it quite right.

Here is the scenario, I have a Nissan Titan Crew Cab. It comes with a pair of wide range speakers (see pics.) in the dash that are pointed up reflecting off the windshield. They measure 2.75" across the flange and mouning depth will not be an issue. What I want to do is get a speaker that fits without modification, can take some power (40W-80W) with 24dB high pass around 350Hz and sound really good doing it reflecting into the windshield. The truck has 6x9's mounted in the front door, down really low by my feet. We'll get into that a little later, but you can see why they put a wide range driver up there at the factory.

I have been looking at the CDT models HD2 and the ES02, as well as Peerless, Tang Band, Vifa, HiVi and some others. I am strongly leaning toward either of the CDT's, however I rarely buy speakers without hearing them first and NONE of the above speakers are sold near by.

I am currently using my old favorite tweeters in there now, but its not good to run them below 1KHz. What would you put in there and how would you describe their sound?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
There is a truck that competes in MECA in TN like this. I am not familiar with small mids but I would do tweets in the pillars, small mids in the OEM and 6x9 mid bass in the doors.

Has anyone ever tried rear facing subs in these crew cab trucks? Bounce it off the rear of the cab.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Putting tweeters in the pillars is just slightly outside of my design goal.

There really isn't much room to face a sub toward the back. Everything I read favors facing up. I have a small ported 8 in under the back seat now facing up, porting toward the door. I might add another later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And then there were crickets.

Here are the models I have been looking at.

Tang Band W2-8525H
Tang Band W2-800SL
Vifa TC6FC00-04
Peerless 830983
Monacor SPX-20M
Jordan JXR6HD
HiVi B2S
CDT HD2
CDT ES02

Has anyone heard any of these speakers or can help eliminate some? I am also open to other suggestions if I have left off something good in this type of speaker class.

·
Registered
482 Posts
there is a multitude of widebanders these days that should work well for what you are considering. More so if you are willing to do a enough cutting to get a 3 inch or better in that location. Many have used the tang band bamboo's, the fountek drivers, etc... I just installed some of the H-audio 3 inch widebanders and really like them.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
And then there were crickets.

Here are the models I have been looking at.
CDT ES02

Has anyone heard any of these speakers or can help eliminate some? I am also open to other suggestions if I have left off something good in this type of speaker class.
I have the CDT Audio Center Stage system on the way to audition in my vehicle. This uses the 2" wideband drivers. I was told over the phone by Ken at CDT Audio this uses the ES-02 mid/tweeters. That driver is also part of the Nissan Frontier system, the NF 6902 package, if you care to take a look at that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the CDT Audio Center Stage system on the way to audition in my vehicle. This uses the 2" wideband drivers. I was told over the phone by Ken at CDT Audio this uses the ES-02 mid/tweeters. That driver is also part of the Nissan Frontier system, the NF 6902 package, if you care to take a look at that.
I have seen the NF6902 package listed on their website awhile ago. I would be interested in hearing back on your reveiw of the center stage system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks, amitaF - I actually have been looking at your listing. Budget isn't really a factor for me as much as just figuring out what direction to take. I'm planning to audition the HAT lineup tomorrow, but would love to get the XR Duo setup - or build something comparable from someone else.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you thought of running the aura whispers?
If this recommendation is for me, then no. I scratched them off the list because they topped out at 15KHz, sensitivity is only 84dB, and then only listed to handle 15W. I am sure the 15W rating is improved slightly for my intended use, but tell me why they compete with anything in my original list and I'll listen.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
If this recommendation is for me, then no. I scratched them off the list because they topped out at 15KHz, sensitivity is only 84dB, and then only listed to handle 15W. I am sure the 15W rating is improved slightly for my intended use, but tell me why they compete with anything in my original list and I'll listen.
Staying tuned, I wanna hear this answer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After relooking at my list I suppose that it beats out the HiVi B2S for the very same reasons, but the HiVi isn't a real contender either.

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
I'd suggest you ditch the 2" search and go with a true wide band 3". I know this picture isn't a Titan, but a Frontier. I think they use similar openings. There's nothing above the grill that is cut. Meaning, it can all go back in without any hint of modification.

It's not flat on the dash, but integrates well. I'm sure you could do something similar on the Titan and go with a 3".

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have been window shopping for a set of speakers that must meet some rather tough requirements. I have posted a similar question in another forum, but it didn't get much traffic and I probably didn't ask it quite right.

Here is the scenario, I have a Nissan Titan Crew Cab. It comes with a pair of wide range speakers (see pics.) in the dash that are pointed up reflecting off the windshield. They measure 2.75" across the flange and mouning depth will not be an issue. What I want to do is get a speaker that fits without modification, can take some power (40W-80W) with 24dB high pass around 350Hz and sound really good doing it reflecting into the windshield. The truck has 6x9's mounted in the front door, down really low by my feet. We'll get into that a little later, but you can see why they put a wide range driver up there at the factory.

I have been looking at the CDT models HD2 and the ES02, as well as Peerless, Tang Band, Vifa, HiVi and some others. I am strongly leaning toward either of the CDT's, however I rarely buy speakers without hearing them first and NONE of the above speakers are sold near by.

I am currently using my old favorite tweeters in there now, but its not good to run them below 1KHz. What would you put in there and how would you describe their sound?
if you are real about this get the AUDIO PHYSICS drivers they are killer and will do what you want... if there is a budget then get some TANG BANDS and call it a day!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts