DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Do smaller companies make better products than mainstream companies?

• YES

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • NO

Votes: 39 53.4%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
176 Posts
The quality of our products has improved as we became a bigger company. More resources give us the ability to invest in better production equipment, better tooling, more research and better quality procedures. The product we built today is the best we have ever built.

Here's are a few photo galleries that show what I'm talking about...
JL Audio

I tend to place more trust in a speaker assembled in a high-tech facility than in some "hand-made" operation where adhesives are applied to speakers with ketchup squeeze bottles. :)
Please fix your website. Your link takes me to the Canadian website. The Canadian website has none of tutorials the US site has. I also can't see any of the pictures you are talking about.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Please fix your website. Your link takes me to the Canadian website. The Canadian website has none of tutorials the US site. I also can't see any of the pictures you are talking about.
Thats Canadian internet for you. The link takes me to the standard JL site. Fix your internet provider.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quality versus quantity may be what your looking at. Typically larger companies deal in large quantities and smaller companies not as much. DD audio would fall under a smaller brand that is well known for their quality. Alpine, Kenwood, RF, are larger companies and many others are also known for making great quality products and filling a bigger gap from low end to high end products.

ED audio was a small company and there have been many post of people that experienced numerous quality issues.

Cheap, inexpensive, and quality are often confused and every ones idea of what they are may differ.

Cheap for me is just a product that is poorly made and can be available at a variety of price points.

Inexpensive is a product that may be low in cost, but is a great value product that performs well for what it is intended to do. Entry level products that when used properly are great. Often because of the price are abused by those who do not know better and are then labeled as cheap.

Quality is what we as consumers expect in any product we buy. Defects and issues happen for any company size and how the company handles that for the customer is as important as the end product itself.

Many instances have to do with customer installation or use. The ones that are because of the product alone are the ones I am referring to. It can be a fine line when many customers do no understand that it is them and not the product. All can take some abuse, but too much will always lead to failure that isn't the manufactures fault. This ignorance as mentioned before can lead to many labeling something cheap based on their lack of understanding.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Please fix your website. Your link takes me to the Canadian website. The Canadian website has none of tutorials the US site has. I also can't see any of the pictures you are talking about.
Do smaller audio companies have better websites than mainstream companies?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The link is fine. Yours takes you to Canada's because you're IN Canada and have a Canadian IP address. You could try copying and pasting the address in manually.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dynaudio designs/builds quality products. Manley Labs designs/builds quality products. JL Audio designs/builds quality products. I own/have used products from all three and have been nothing but happy. One is a medium sized company, one is small company and one is a large company. I think doing your own research and building your own products shows a love for what you are doing and a commitment to your "brand". I think those two things are more important than the actual size of the company.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The only determining factors in the quality of products is 1) skill, 2) willingness to apply the skill without cutting corners, 3) obtaining high quality materials and 4) quality tools for manufacturing.

It doesn't matter if you are big or small.

Frankly larger companies have the advantage of resources that smaller companies don't have provided they are willing to use those resources properly (ie the items above). Smaller companies have the advantage of flexibility and speedy changes that larger companies don't always have.

But again at the end of the day it's all about skill and resources.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The perceived problem with large companies with extensive product lines comes when they introduce entry-level products in addition to their high quality product line. People get all butthurt about it. "No way, man, Alpine SUCKS because I owned a cheap $50 speaker they made in 2003 and it sounded terrible!" Therefore, everything that company makes must be garbage.

That poor excuse for logic isn't a whole lot different from saying black people suck because you were robbed by a black guy once back in 1991.

Knowing an entire company's product line is hard work. Especially big companies. Especially big companies who have been around for a million years. People are inherently lazy and prideful, so they stereotype because they want to feel more knowledgeable about a particular product than they actually are.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The quality of our products has improved as we became a bigger company. More resources give us the ability to invest in better production equipment, better tooling, more research and better quality procedures. The product we built today is the best we have ever built.

Here's are a few photo galleries that show what I'm talking about...
JL Audio

I tend to place more trust in a speaker assembled in a high-tech facility than in some "hand-made" operation where adhesives are applied to speakers with ketchup squeeze bottles. :)
I do have to say that the JL woofer building facility is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Your Canadian IP address is causing that to occur. All you have to do is go to the bottom of the page where it says "Select Country" and switch from the Canadian to the US site with the little toggle thingy on the right.

Sorry for the hassle.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The perceived problem with large companies with extensive product lines comes when they introduce entry-level products in addition to their high quality product line. People get all butthurt about it. "No way, man, Alpine SUCKS because I owned a cheap $50 speaker they made in 2003 and it sounded terrible!" Therefore, everything that company makes must be garbage.

That poor excuse for logic isn't a whole lot different from saying black people suck because you were robbed by a black guy once back in 1991.

Knowing an entire company's product line is hard work. Especially big companies. Especially big companies who have been around for a million years. People are inherently lazy and prideful, so they stereotype because they want to feel more knowledgeable about a particular product than they actually are.
I think a secondary issue related to that is scale. Pulling #'s out of the air, Large Brand A might sell 100 amps for every 1 amp Small Brand B sells. If they each have 1% failure rate, Brand A has 100x more amps failing than Brand B. But because Brand A has 100x the amount of amp failures they sound like a less reliable product simply because more products have failed. And because more products have failed more people have heard about Brand A's amps failing compared to Brand B even though their reliability rate is exactly the same.

·
Registered
81 Posts
when reading this question, i think of the canadian companies, and the NRC. If a company aready has access to research and, can produce a product that they can profit from, so that the can build their own anechoic chamber to build in house, yes

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Also depends on if the small companies actually make their own product, with their own r&d or if they buy from a build house and slap their label on it.
I agree with that. Sundown, RD, Sound Qubed, and others have amps that look the same on the inside. They just have a different heatsink.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I can't say I have an opinion one way or the other whether or not bigger companies have better or worse QC than others. I feel 100% confident when buying JL subs that they will work flawlessly for a decade if I don't get bored sooner. Still thinking about the pair of 13W7s IB but waiting to see if there's a v2 anytime soon.

Then you have Dynaudio which I guess is a small to medium sized company?? Their TS parameters always have the least amount of variance from speaker to speaker and by a significant margin and you never hear of failures. I think it really depends more on the focus of the company than the size of the company. Size doesn't matter! :blush:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I have no issue when I type in JL Audio.com it takes me to the us site. .ca takes me to the Canuck site. Not sure what your issue is.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts