DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Do smaller companies make better products than mainstream companies?

• YES

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • NO

Votes: 39 53.4%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
ultimately, and with rare exception, you get what you pay for. it's not always proportional to the price, but i've found this to be true on average.

also, when you're in the car audio hobby, you end up using so many different products in the search for perfect sound that you'll eventually end up having tried the entire spectrum at some point.

personally, i like to try gear that most people won't simply because of the lack of brand recognition! while it's getting harder for dayton to fly under the radar, they do a really good job of delivering quality and very affordable price points; and there are other brands that do this as well, just cruise p.e. or madisound.

if we're talking purely electronics, i'd prefer to stick with the big boys who've been doing this for a long time.

at the end of the day, though, if you have a budget and you ask the people here on the forum for system suggestions they will more often than not give you the best 'bang for your buck' ideas

.....unless you're interested in critical mass

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
interesting, care to explain?
The disparity in prices of various equipment can be huge, and the performance is almost completely uncorrelated with the price, IMO. Especially in home audio, where you're typically paying for the aesthetic more than the actual performance.

There are several extreme examples of this. For example, a loudspeaker system costing 100x the sum of its parts. Literally.

Also, it's not uncommon to see the most expensive equipment also be yesterday's technology, with all its inherent disadvantages and limitations.

You even talked about Dayton in your last post, which is a good example of a company that has a reasonably constructed product line for pennies.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I mostly agree with you. While its not always the case, generally you get what you pay for. Double the price may not equal double the performance but there's usually an improvement.

that's the reason i almost always buy used gear; you can get killer deals on hi-end stuff, be it small or mainstream companies. plus, i think thats a good place to see how well gear holds up from both ends of the spectrum.

·
11,394 Posts
What is considered a small company? Are you just considering the front office or the build house attached to said company?

Larger companies do have a larger budget...now it depends on how they are spending that budget as to if the performance is better in the end. If the company is like JL, then I would agree...you see the innovations and performance...though as much as JL has grown, I would consider them a middle sized company. Then you have a really large company like Pioneer who has TAD under it's wings...and they push the envelope. Then you have a small company like Sundown who uses Klippel testing on their drivers...and you get performance from them.

I guess it just depends on who and what you are talking about. This is a very open ended question with a metric ass ton of "what ifs."

·
Registered
867 Posts
From a UK enthusiasts POV

I don't think there's much of a debate.

Would I choose Sony XPlod sub over a Sundown E-10 sub? No I wouldn't!

Would I choose a pair of JVC speakers over a pair of DLS? No!

Would I buy a brand new Pioneer 4 channel amp or a used Genesis Profile 4 from ebay? "Confirm your bid"!!

There are some huge companies with huge money to throw at R&D ... doesn't mean they're any good!

In car audio my default companies would be JL Audio and Alpine .. although I've owned 3 Alpine amps and never got on with them. However I'm not keen on the low end JL speakers .. so swings and roundabouts!

SQ

Alpine
Morel
HAT
Audison
Hertz
Focal
Rainbow
Diamond
CDT
Genesis - Amps
DLS
Mosconi
Seas Lotus
Dynaudio
Brax
Sinfoni
Pheonix Gold
Zapco
Tru
Helix
Mcintosh - I've help fit a £180,000 McIntosh Home Audio system

Crept into car audio

Dayton
Seas
Vifa
Peerless

SPL

Digital Designs
Sundown
Ground Zero
Gladen
AudioSystem
B2 Audio
Addictive Audio
Pierce Audio Products Inc.
AD Designs
Skar Audio
SSA

Are you seriously telling me, you would choose a pair of Sony Xplod speakers, subs or a amp over the likes of these? Do me a favour!!

However, even with that said, I don't care if the magnets are made from some metal from outer space, or if the cones are made from Supermans underpants, what I want to know is; how does it sound?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Are you seriously telling me, you would choose a pair of Sony Xplod speakers, subs or a amp over the likes of these? Do me a favour!!
You spelled favor wrong. :p

Where do you rank the Sony ES line, the Alpine F1 line, the Kenwood PS series, the Pioneer DEH880 which is owned by like half the people here, or the JL w7 subwoofer?

What about some of the classic JBL speakers that are considered by many to be some of the best made in their class? JBL being owned, of course, by Harman International...

You're biasing the sample which is skewing your results. If you considered ALL of the big companies' offerings, instead of just the ones you see at department stores, you'd realize that big companies often make very high quality products.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You spelled favor wrong. :p

No I haven't ... read the top line of my post!!

Where do you rank the Sony ES line, the Alpine F1 line, the Kenwood PS series, the Pioneer DEH880 which is owned by like half the people here, or the JL w7 subwoofer?

What about some of the classic JBL speakers that are considered by many to be some of the best made in their class? JBL being owned, of course, by Harman International...

You're biasing the sample which is skewing your results. If you considered ALL of the big companies' offerings, instead of just the ones you see at department stores, you'd realize that big companies often make very high quality products.
I don't rate Sony much for anything. Oh sorry ... i do like there TV's. Out of the 120+ headphones I owned, Sony where at best ... cr*p! Never liked any of the Sony gear.

Pioneer Pioneer DEH880 is a given. Reasonable if not forgotten high end gear. Low end speakers (of which I have a few pairs) ... nothing special. Sure Pioneer are good at head units and they corner the market for DJ gear, but pound for pound, I wouldn't choose them over other brands mentioned

JBL: TLX20 .. my first ever speakers, then i got the JBL Control 1's ... classic! Got/had a few JBL GTO-804 subs, did quite a few builds for them. Again, when it comes to car audio, IMO they OK, but nothing to set them apart from the rest. The little GTo-804 for an 8" (UK price) is a stormer, however again I wouldn't even put JBL ahead of JL.

If you considered ALL of the big companies' offerings, instead of just the ones you see at department stores, you'd realize that big companies often make very high quality products.
News to me!

I just think there's too much good stuff out there to settle for an 'average' product. And from what I see and hear, most of the good if not best products come from what we might deem as smaller or lesser known companies. The only reason why such brands are big sellers is exactly that ... the brand ... the name. Vibe Audio are the biggest culprits in the UK for producing popular, well liked garbage. but look at Vibes market! When your marketing efforts consists of half naked women in stockings stroking subwoofers ...

Why would I go on ebay and bid for a Sony amp when i can have a Genesis amp for the same money. Why buy JBL or Infinity speakers, when DLS clear the board when it comes to European SQ comps? Again, are you telling me, you'd put JBL above the likes of Hybrid Audio or Morel Sinfoni or Tru... come on!!!

The only issue I have with JL is they showcase new products now and again, I third of them never seem to make it to market, the other third never come over to the UK. Still waiting for the 8WX sub. Loving the amps, loving the subs, speakers under £100 (I've only owned a couple of pairs) ... maybe. Regardless of the nay-sayers rattling on about clever marketing, I still have huge, monumental respect for JL. I still prefer my Sundown SA-12 and E-10 for SQL though!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I don't rate Sony much for anything.
This is the blatant type of stereotyping that I was talking about earlier. You've never used some of their high end equipment, but you think it's bad because their xplod series sucks. Frankly, this is the very definition of ignorance.

Edit: Here is a thread that is 3 pages worth of people drooling over Sony products. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-audio-classifieds/102278-sony-xm2000r.html
Do you have any experience whatsoever with any of the products in those pictures?

Pioneer Pioneer DEH880 is a given. Reasonable if not forgotten high end gear. Low end speakers (of which I have a few pairs) ... nothing special. Sure Pioneer are good at head units and they corner the market for DJ gear, but pound for pound, I wouldn't choose them over other brands mentioned
Your fellow enthusiasts here apparently disagree with you, since that head unit is probably the most common one that DIYMA folk buy.

JBL: TLX20 .. my first ever speakers, then i got the JBL Control 1's ... classic! Got/had a few JBL GTO-804 subs, did quite a few builds for them. Again, when it comes to car audio, IMO they OK, but nothing to set them apart from the rest. The little GTo-804 for an 8" (UK price) is a stormer, however again I wouldn't even put JBL ahead of JL.
:confused: You didn't address the high end JBL equipment that I referred to. You're talking gibberish about some entry level JBL gear, and trying to extrapolate that to everything else they made? Have you tried, say, the 2118 midrange? The w15gti subwoofer? Any of their compression drivers? People with a lot more experience than you RAVE about these products.

News to me!
That's obvious.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Not sure why ssa is in the SPL catagory.
Because he has no idea what he's talking about.

He also doesn't realize that about 1/3 of the brands in his "SQ" categoriy are actually owned by large companies. Then he goes on to say that large companies aren't as good, or some such nonsense.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,003 Posts
Your fellow enthusiasts here apparently disagree with you, since that head unit is probably the most common one that DIYMA folk buy.
I think most buy the DEH-80PRS because it is the only HU on the market offering the features it does for the price point. To be honest, the Bluetooth on my factory HU is 100x better than the Bluetooth on the DEH-80PRS. While I managed to get over myself regarding that annoying BEEP every time I touch a steering wheel button, I have issues with their crappy implementation of Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
Sony head unit? Sure. Sony speakers? Maybe not. This has far less to do with the size of a company than it does about the expertise of their product development department and whether that expertise is actually applied to the development of the product in question.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The only issue I have with JL is they showcase new products now and again, I third of them never seem to make it to market, the other third never come over to the UK. Still waiting for the 8WX sub. Loving the amps, loving the subs, speakers under £100 (I've only owned a couple of pairs) ... maybe. Regardless of the nay-sayers rattling on about clever marketing, I still have huge, monumental respect for JL. I still prefer my Sundown SA-12 and E-10 for SQL though!
What has JL EVER "showcased" and not brought to market?

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
41 - 60 of 102 Posts