DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting an Audio Control Epicenter to add some punch to some of my older music, especially the 80's Pop. My question that AC's description doesn't seem to touch on is: How 'smart' is it? If I am going down the road with Random on and listening to, say, Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams and hearing a more pronounced bass note, will I be blown out of my seat if the next random song turns out to be a more modern EDM track? I know the Epicenter comes along with an adjustment knob, but would I find myself constantly adjusting for each randomized track or is the Epicenter smart enough that when it analyzes the waveform to recognize that the bass is already strong enough?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Its not smart in the way I think you mean. It is always on so you would have to adjust based on the song playing. If for instance you have a older low quality song, you can adjust the knob and the unit is going to do its thing. If the very next song is a new hip hop song, you will have to adjust to adjust it down from the previous song. The unit is going to process at the level you leave it at not adjust on its own.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was expecting. I was hoping it would at least be able to recognize that if bass frequencies of the track were at a certain strength it bypass its function. As someone who truly listens to a wide variety of music from various eras and genres, I am not sure I want to be near-constantly adjusting from song to song. I'll think about this a bit more.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Epicenter is not AI unit lol,.... it will also have different effect with different songs,....there will be some that will have almost no effect, and contrary with some there will be a lot of difference in bass output.... at least that are my experiences with older version of AC Epicenter. I have similar thing going on im one of my home systems with DBX processor and its subharmonic restoration.... not a fan of such gadgets

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first experience with the Epicenter was at a show back in... 94 I think. A guy was playing Danny Elfman's Music For A Darkened Theater and when Barman's theme started, it was a massive rumbling that I couldn't reproduce in my truck at the time. Looking back at the pictures of the guy's setup, I noticed the Epicenter mounted to one side. For the most part, I am quite happy with how my system sounds, but there are cases, like the afore mentioned Sweet Dreams, where I wish the bass line had more presence. I have altered tracks in Audacity to bump up low frequencies, but they never sound quite right afterwards

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Helix's most recent (ACO) DSP amps have an intelligent bass recovery algorithm. I've used it briefly but not long enough to comment on.

Anyone else have solid experience with Helix Dynamic Bass Enhancement, Dymanic Boost, or SubXpander?

Ge0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts